New Gransfors Bruk Smiths

Once in a while, you’ll see pictures or read stories about poor quality control in certain smiths over at Gransfors Bruk. Some have advised not to purchase them online. The smiths there currently seem to have changed a lot over the past few years.

Does anyone have an axe made with the initials, ES or MF? How have your Gransfors axe worked for you lately?

My last one was an "EB". Not the sharpest out of the box but it works well for me.

Once in a while, you’ll see pictures or read stories about poor quality control in certain smiths over at Gransfors Bruk. Some have advised not to purchase them online. The smiths there currently seem to have changed a lot over the past few years.

I don't recall seeing any valid complaints. Some purchasers have unrealistic expectations though.

Just because you spend $150~$300 for a hatchet doesn't mean it will magically take down a giant Redwood or carve a spoon all by itself nor shave your whiskers after camping a few days.

Further, I doubt Granfors Bruk quality control lets many mistakes leave their property.

I bought my Gransfors small forest axe a number of years ago and the smith was AS. The only real problem I had with mine was that the grain of the wood was nearly at 90 degrees from the axe head. I have seen others more recently at a local blade shop with the same alignment issue. All of the steel I have seen has been well forged and fitted though. If you are one that likes the grain to be more inline with the bit as it should be, you should either buy in store or ask a seller to take photos of the exact axe for sale.

To be honest, I was so underwhelmed with the amount of axe for the money no matter who the smith was, that I sold it in short order. From a working tool standpoint it offers nothing more than other reputable manufacturers. I think folks are buying the image and history that go along with GB. Thats not a bad thing, its just not for me. Cant fault a man for buying what he likes though!

I don't recall seeing any valid complaints
Started since the absorbing of wetterlings.
The outdoor axe and the wilderness axe are not the same standard as previous purchases.
In fact I send my outdoor axe back to gb and the replacement was worse.
I find the polls of later ones infuriating,i dont expect perfect symmetry but an attempt at it would be nice

Back