New GSO 2.7 Thread

Received my 2.7 2nd today and think it's great. Very comfortable in hand (medium hands id say). If you read Chiral's review id have to agree that the swell at the end could be a hot spot but overall it fits well and it's definitely one I'll be hanging on to. Also, the microtexture is great. My 5.1 is g10 also (wo microtrxture) and there's a major difference in the feel/grip. Thanks Survive!

I have one of these on order. But honestly I am not sure it makes sense. For a knife this small I have some nice folders this that are about the same size. Sure they are not as strong. But I am not sure I need a knife this size to be overly strong. Maybe a nice light folder, even a opinel and then a 3.5 or 4.1? I have a 4.7 waiting at home. Maybe that would work.

I am still very excited about the 2.7. I tend to prefer smaller knives. But maybe a nice thin folder that slices well makes more sense in this size. What do you think?

In order for a folder to be as comfortable in the hand doing work as an equivalently sized fixed blade a great deal of design work has to be done and you still wind up with a really thick folding knife.
It will of course fit in your pocket better, but in my experience it will also be heavier and much more expensive.
It might be worth it to you, but the compromises have to be considered and made.

I have one of these on order. But honestly I am not sure it makes sense. For a knife this small I have some nice folders this that are about the same size. Sure they are not as strong. But I am not sure I need a knife this size to be overly strong. Maybe a nice light folder, even a opinel and then a 3.5 or 4.1? I have a 4.7 waiting at home. Maybe that would work.

I am still very excited about the 2.7. I tend to prefer smaller knives. But maybe a nice thin folder that slices well makes more sense in this size. What do you think?

Fancier makes some good points above. In addition to what he said, I'd suggest considering how much time you will be intending to use the blade vs how much time you will be packing the blade. If you're going to carry it a lot, with only a little use, I think a folder makes sense. If you're going to have it in use much of the time, then it will be much more comfortable than a folder of comparable size, and you'll be happy that you took the extra effort to carry it.

Also, if you're pairing two knives, I think I'd leave the 3.5 out of the equation. It's an awesome blade, one of my all time favorites. But in your specific question, it just doesn't offer enough advantage in size. You might consider going with at least the 4.1 as the larger blade if you for sure will be packing either the folder or a 2.7 already.

Got my Survive! "Factory Second" 2.7 in the mail on Saturday; as has been said here before, it's hard to spot why this is a 2nd!

Black G10 Handles and Black Oxide Fasteners; I ordered it without a sheath; I had planned all along to make an IWB sheath.

Here are a few pics...

Very cool, cpu. You got some skills!

I'm really happy to hear about folks getting knives, this seems to have been a good week for that.

Anyone have any idea when the "pre-sales" from July will start shipping?

Anyone have any idea when the "pre-sales" from July will start shipping?

Anyone know when preorders from 2015 will ship? ;)

Sorry to be a wise ass, you know I love ya! I think my question would help answer yours, though.

The answer as well as I could guess would be: when the 4.7's are done. That isn't as specific as you were looking for I'm sure.

Anyone know when preorders from 2015 will ship? ;)

Sorry to be a wise ass, you know I love ya! I think my question would help answer yours, though.

The answer as well as I could guess would be: when the 4.7's are done. That isn't as specific as you were looking for I'm sure.

I love you too man. You're one of the few on BF I consider my friend.

So guys that ordered 'seconds' are getting theirs and I ordered a 'first' and I won't get mine until after the 4.7's are done? Aren't the 4.7's going into month 14 right now? And if there are 4.7's to be built, how did guys get their 2.7's today? Also, does that mean all the 'pre-order' 2.7's are shipped yet none are here on BF?
My patience and good will is not bottomless. It's wearing very thin actually. I consider myself a nice guy and one who keeps his word. I've worked very hard to develop and keep that type of reputation here on BF and in my life. This is simply bad business.

Can we just have a knife company that sells what they have and ships within a few days like everyone else. This has been going on since 2014 (I know because I re-read the threads). I've worked in a lot of places and NEVER saw any company that took two years to hire some qualified help. Hell, I've worked with guys who worked on shuttle missions. Any competent machinist could have built a sharpening machine with jigs for various models and taken that out of one Guy's hands (pun intended). We're talking about knives here. Knives.

I, like many others, are starting to wonder if there is something else going on here. My wife, in accounting, says it's simple. They need the money. Why else would they offer the 7/7 when the track record of delivering anything on time grows worse and worse with each passing month. It appears more people were ticked off about it than were excited. I wanted one in a bad way but my 2.7 is delayed until who knows when, even after the text of the sale said a "couple months", and the text on the 7/7 was changed to "a few months". What is a few exactly?

After several DAYS there are still 7/7's available on the website. I find that very interesting. Has everyone had enough?

Is the hole deep enough now that there is no recovery?

Honestly, it's none of my business and Guy and Ellie can do what they wish with their company. I just want what I paid for under the guise of "a couple months" for delivery which was in JULY.

Rant over. Crucify me at your leisure...............

Talk me down off the ledge please............

Hey Hale, I think most of your post needs an answer from someone else, but as far as I know...

Main focus=4.7's
Factory second 2.7's are shipping now, they were sold on a Monday sale.
Some 2.7 firsts might get sent every now and then but those are preorders from 2015.

I hope they don't lose a good guy like you as a customer and fan!

I love you too man. You're one of the few on BF I consider my friend.

So guys that ordered 'seconds' are getting theirs and I ordered a 'first' and I won't get mine until after the 4.7's are done? Aren't the 4.7's going into month 14 right now? And if there are 4.7's to be built, how did guys get their 2.7's today? Also, does that mean all the 'pre-order' 2.7's are shipped yet none are here on BF?
My patience and good will is not bottomless. It's wearing very thin actually. I consider myself a nice guy and one who keeps his word. I've worked very hard to develop and keep that type of reputation here on BF and in my life. This is simply bad business.

Can we just have a knife company that sells what they have and ships within a few days like everyone else. This has been going on since 2014 (I know because I re-read the threads). I've worked in a lot of places and NEVER saw any company that took two years to hire some qualified help. Hell, I've worked with guys who worked on shuttle missions. Any competent machinist could have built a sharpening machine with jigs for various models and taken that out of one Guy's hands (pun intended). We're talking about knives here. Knives.

I, like many others, are starting to wonder if there is something else going on here. My wife, in accounting, says it's simple. They need the money. Why else would they offer the 7/7 when the track record of delivering anything on time grows worse and worse with each passing month. It appears more people were ticked off about it than were excited. I wanted one in a bad way but my 2.7 is delayed until who knows when, even after the text of the sale said a "couple months", and the text on the 7/7 was changed to "a few months". What is a few exactly?

After several DAYS there are still 7/7's available on the website. I find that very interesting. Has everyone had enough?

Is the hole deep enough now that there is no recovery?

Honestly, it's none of my business and Guy and Ellie can do what they wish with their company. I just want what I paid for under the guise of "a couple months" for delivery which was in JULY.

Rant over. Crucify me at your leisure...............

Talk me down off the ledge please............

I'm with you, it's frustrating. After I thought about my money sitting there for 60 days on a 15 day ship time, I started thinking about it like an interest free loan with no terms. That bothered me to the point where I canceled all orders, both Monday sales and presales. Sad thing is I really will miss the other 4.7s and the chance to try a 2.7 and D3V 4.1, but I prefer the companies I give my business to to hold themselves at the same standards I do in safety, quality and productivity.

I'm with you, it's frustrating. After I thought about my money sitting there for 60 days on a 15 day ship time, I started thinking about it like an interest free loan with no terms. That bothered me to the point where I canceled all orders, both Monday sales and presales. Sad thing is I really will miss the other 4.7s and the chance to try a 2.7 and D3V 4.1, but I prefer the companies I give my business to to hold themselves at the same standards I do in safety, quality and productivity.

Like I said before, I'm really sorry to hear this.

I think some people are OK with a really long wait as long as that wait ends up being what they were told.

If wait times can get standardized and wording on the website and in communications can all get streamlined then I think there will be many more happy customers.

Eh, buying knives is a hobby for me. :yawn:
I've known this was going to be a long process from the beginning, and I've waited longer for more expensive customs that aren't as nice as a GSO.
Everybody is absolutely entitled to their opinions, and for that matter I'd rather have my knives in hand as well. :)
I think that Clip has the right idea: If you've reached the end of your patience start calling them to ask for a refund.
You'll probably feel better, and you can always pick one up second hand later if you feel the need.

I, like many others, are starting to wonder if there is something else going on here........Talk me down off the ledge please............

S!K is going to have to take a hard look at this. Both of these guys have come from the camp of wanting to see the company succeed, and have been respectfully frustrated for awhile now. Long enough that Clip has had enough of the missed deadlines and cancelled.

I'm going to restate my position because it's been awhile and a lot has happened:

I bought into what starter preorders that I could afford and felt comfortable with. I did that because I wanted to see Guy and Ellie have a chance at getting the move behind them, pick up some equipment, add some employees and get established. I realize what few orders I have personally paid for mean very little on their own, but that was my mindset on how collectively those starter orders would benefit the company.

As I had said in the GBU thread, I'm not going to continue to go in on preorders. I don't normally make it a practice to put money up front on a knife or anything else, unless I need to pony up a small deposit to secure a spot. But full payment, no, not normally do I do that. I made an exception here, and I believe the intentions of this company are good, but will not continue to buy in that manner because that better suited a one-time situation for me personally as a starter program.

When you pair up a customer base that is operating on faith with a company that struggles to meet deadlines, you end up with supporters expressing their displeasure as shown above. And rightly so. They've fulfilled their end of the commitment and it's the company that's missed its projected delivery. S!K has got to fix this. In the past we've seen complaints from folks who have been rooting for the company to fail. Not all, obviously, but some definitely. That's not the case right now. These gentlemen and others recently have been supporters that have finally had enough.

Meeting projected delivery deadlines and increasing production output is going to go a long way toward customer satisfaction. Maybe easier said than done, but it can be done. I am glad to see the addition of employees at S!K. That is a step in the right direction, and a lot of folks have given praise for the increase in communication. From Clip's case, it appears there is more to be done, and I would like to know his experience receiving the refunds, were they received, was it timely, etc. (forgive me if you posted this elsewhere Clip, I haven't got to make all the rounds and I know there are conversations going on in other threads).

I want to avoid any misunderstandings here. I'm rooting for this company to succeed, as I believe most of us here are doing. But to not acknowledge that there are problems is foolish and unproductive. Hopefully this post comes across in the manner it is intended, as constructive criticism.

Dave

Just a brief summary:

Ordered in the July 5 Monday sale with the 15 day shipping statement. Checked in twice between the 15 and 60 day marks asking for a revised shipping date and was given a generic response that said they were very busy and working through preorders and presales. Checked on day 55 and was given a solid deadline - will ship by the end of the week. During this delay, I had seen several reports of people getting 2.7 seconds ordered in the weeks after mine, and the whole Everyday Commentary thread (in which he ordered a 4.7 through the normal process and it showed up within a week or two). At the end of the week when my order was supposed to have shipped, I called and was told that one of the two knives was ready but the second was not and the order would probably ship the next week.

In the meantime I had two more Seconds orders that were one and three days from hitting the 15 day mark, and one presale that I wasn't expecting any time soon. With no indications of maintaining a schedule I had no hope that I would receive the other Seconds orders in a timely manner.

After that it was very simple, requesting they cancel all four open orders. Money was received back into PayPal within 24 hours and I received good customer service by phone. Again, I want to state that I want the company to succeed and will miss those knives I canceled, but this whole experience has left me feeling a bit down about it and has even tarnished the feeling I get when I'm using the 4.7 or 5.1s I've already got. They feel pretty good and are hard workers, but now carry some extra baggage.

Thank you for verifying that you received your refund in an acceptable manner. I think I understand where you're coming from, knife buying and using should be fun!! :) And with the baggage it is less so. That's part of the reason I have taken to buying factory seconds on the Monday sales because even with the delays they deliver so much faster than the preorders/presales. I understand why the company sells in that manner, and don't personally have a problem with it business-wise (as long as they meet the delivery projections on those sales) but it has caused me to avoid the preorders/presales because the fun-factor is over by the time I receive those firsts. Thanks again for the reply.

Back