New guy here. Couple Kydex questions.

Howdy.

I'm looking to get into Kydex bending.

Seems like a hobby I could really get into. I have a ton of fixed blade knives with crappy sheaths, and a couple pistols in need of holsters.

The blades I have that could use new sheaths are between 3" and 9" long. What thickness of Kydex would be ideal for knife sheaths, and do the longer heavier blades require thicker Kydex than the smaller blades?

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on one of these presses. https://www.holstersmith.com/vcom/product_info.php?cPath=548_524_808&products_id=636

Do you guys have any experience with this product? Besides the price, are there any disadvantages? I know I could build a press, but would rather buy one. I'd like to make some "taco" style sheaths and also some "pancake" style, if that makes a difference.

I'm located in Canada just a few minutes from the WA border, so I'm able to save a bit of money by having items shipped to a box and picking it up myself. Are there any reasonably priced Canadian Kydex suppliers with decent selection, or would it be cheaper to get my Kydex from the States?

Also, what are some of your favorite attachment clips, loops, etc. for fixed blade knives?

Any other helpful tips ir suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kris

Last edited:
Back