New guy question about removing chape

Hi everyone, Ive been lurking around here a while and finally got around to registering. I have a couple of Kukri I received as a gift from my wife, they came from another co with 4 websites (or more). They are OK (handles are small) but the HI knives are superior in many ways. I have a M-43, Foxy folly and today I bid on a 15"ang kola.

The question is is there a good way to remove the pointy chape on the end of the scabbard. Id hate to have nasty glue or scrapes underneath as I try to remove it. as long as I'm asking, what do you use to get the polish back after cutting wood and leaving streaks or minor scrapes on the side. the HI polish is so nice that I hate to take a new knife out. Actually the foxy is a virgin, the only thing its cut is me (just a little kiss).

Thanks ahead of time.

Looks like i got an answer to one of my questions. mothers polish or a buffing wheel.
Or fine sandpaper...lets not forget, LMAO!
The answer to the chape question is just as tricky.
Sometimes theyre stuck on pretty good, sometimes they come right off.
Gently heat it with a lighter, cover it with a rag so you don't burn your fingers and try to gently pull it off.
If it looks like it will rip the leather underneath, stop pulling and reheat or reglue it and leave it there.

Hello Buttmunkey, pleased to meet you :), I've wanted to remove the chape on a few scabbards because they were dangerously sharp, but then realised thirty seconds
with a dremel or small file blunted it enough to make it safe. You can also buy these extremely small, hollow, brass balls (don't laugh:D) from leather craft shops and epoxy
them on the tip of the chape. I've seen pix of them and they make the chape look quite nice. Do you have a specific reason why you want to remove the chape ?
On a different note, I also own an M43 and a Foxy, I applaud your good taste Sir !! :thumbup:... Yesterday I ordered a YCS from Auntie and today after a lengthy vigil, I
snagged a Bonecutter on the DOD. To me, these four blades represent the absolute essence of HI. I know I'm getting off the subject here, but I'm so damned excited !!

Yesterday I ordered a YCS from Auntie and today after a lengthy vigil, I
snagged a Bonecutter on the DOD. To me, these four blades represent the absolute essence of HI.

Oh YCS!

On a different note, I also own an M43 and a Foxy, I applaud your good taste Sir !! ... Yesterday I ordered a YCS from Auntie and today after a lengthy vigil, I
snagged a Bonecutter on the DOD. To me, these four blades represent the absolute essence of HI.

Oh YCS!

i've epoxied 1/2" brass jingle bells to the ends of mine, bend the cross opening inwards & remove the clapper ball, i used epoxy steel or high strength epoxy. rough up the end of the chape with a file to aid bonding. so far they're still stuck on there.

View attachment 227189

I remove all my chapes by heating them with a hair dryer and pulling them off with a rag.

pugs75,

That's a really nice mod to the sheath. I may have to do that to my working khuk's sheath.

Back