New Guy

What about knife throwing?

Is that a thing? Or something they do as a joke in circus movies?

Yes, there are many knives designed specifically for throwing, having softer steel for greater shock absorption and usually a dull edge due to the lack of edge-holding from the softer steel.

Most knives designed to cut aren’t designed to throw, and vice-versa, as a harder heat treat is required to hold a good sharp edge during use, which then makes the steel much less shock-resistant and more likely to break.

Welcome to BF, my best advise to you is not buy cheap knives to see how they feel or handle because they never feel or handle like a quality blade will. Apple's and oranges, save your money and buy the real deal, you'll be glad you did in the long run.

Just got my Comp Force blade. I'll download a pick and give my impressions after work.

Last edited:
Like others I can't reccomend a Tac Force but you have it give it a little testing and maybe develop some ideas of what you do and don't like in a knife then we can help you find some great options to fit what ever the budget may be. In regards to budget ultimately the sky is the limit but for a fresh start you might want to stick to sub $100 before taking a plunge.

Like others I can't reccomend a Tac Force but you have it give it a little testing and maybe develop some ideas of what you do and don't like in a knife then we can help you find some great options to fit what ever the budget may be. In regards to budget ultimately the sky is the limit but for a fresh start you might want to stick to sub $100 before taking a plunge.

Good advice. Thanks.

I'm too old to try to figure out how to post a pic of the knife on this forum, so I'll just give my impressions.

The blade is sharp enough, but I see what people mean when they talk about "cheap." The plastic on the handle feels brittle. While I haven't noticed any major issues with it yet, I wouldn't trust the locking mechanism on such a cheap knife. And, worst of all, the clip jabs into my side like a cheap holster when I attach it to my belt for hip carry.

I've been perusing some of the other brands--Spyderco, Benchmade, Cold Steel. etc. I'm thinking in the $75 range. I am not spending hundreds of dollars on a knife. To me, knives--like cars and guns-- are purely utilitarian. I just want them to work dependably. I'm not going to spend $5,000 on a Wilson Combat 1911 when a $400 used Glock will do the job just fine.

Don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with spending hundreds of dollars on a knife or thousands on a gun if that's what you're into. For me, it's all about practicality and dependability, not the "sexy" factor.

Any suggestions on brands within that price range? Spyderco and Cold Steel look promising. Thanks!

The moderators of this forum do not allow direct links to non-sponsor sales . Best remove your link to Amazon ad !

When you really want suggestions for next knife just start a thread and give us what information you can about what you want in a knife and budget.

Good advice. Thanks.

I'm too old to try to figure out how to post a pic of the knife on this forum, so I'll just give my impressions.

The blade is sharp enough, but I see what people mean when they talk about "cheap." The plastic on the handle feels brittle. While I haven't noticed any major issues with it yet, I wouldn't trust the locking mechanism on such a cheap knife. And, worst of all, the clip jabs into my side like a cheap holster when I attach it to my belt for hip carry.

I've been perusing some of the other brands--Spyderco, Benchmade, Cold Steel. etc. I'm thinking in the $75 range. I am not spending hundreds of dollars on a knife. To me, knives--like cars and guns-- are purely utilitarian. I just want them to work dependably. I'm not going to spend $5,000 on a Wilson Combat 1911 when a $400 used Glock will do the job just fine.

Don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with spending hundreds of dollars on a knife or thousands on a gun if that's what you're into. For me, it's all about practicality and dependability, not the "sexy" factor.

Any suggestions on brands within that price range? Spyderco and Cold Steel look promising. Thanks!
:) I think your best value for a highly functional and sturdy knife with potential for some hard utility use and self defense is Cold Steel . Spyderco is great ,but for a given price point , Cold Steel will give you better steel and a stronger lock .:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yes Cold Steel is more in the given budget than the others mentioned but there are plenty good options and brands in such a budget.

"For me, it's all about practicality and dependability, not the "sexy" factor.
Any suggestions on brands within that price range? "

Sounds like a description of the Kershaw Blur or Link. Available in a variety of blade styles/steels, lifetime warranty and sharpening. Not fancy, not sexy, but one of the best general use knives I know

:) Cold Steel American Lawman in a well balanced "super steel" with "diamond like coating" and the strongest affordable lock .
Great all around knife . Thin enough blade to be a slicer but still very strong for any normal use . Might exceed your $75 budget , but not by much if you shop around . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kershaw Blur is a good knife. Available in several colors and blade shapes. Check out Kershawguy's selection here. He is a well-respected dealer member here and I have personally made several purchases from him I was happy with.

http://kershawguy.com/products-page/?product_search=blur

My suggestion for you would be either the S30V Blur for $75 or one of the BDZ-1 Tanto blades.

I used to have a Blur and it was a great knife, which I sold to a friend because at the time I really had no need for it. I have since covered that niche with a couple of ZTs, but if I wanted a decent assisted opener in that size and price range, I'd get the Blur.

I have experience with a Tac Force that a co-worker owns. I have tried to sharpen it for him a few times. It is really a poorly made knife with crappy steel. I hope yours works out better for you.

Last edited:
:rolleyes: Nothing wrong with the Kershaw Blur especially in S30V , but not in the same class as the Lawman , not even close ! YMMV

Pro tip: learn how to re-sharpen your knife.

It doesn't matter what kind of steel you have. Even the most exotic super steels WILL GO DULL if you use them enough. When that happens your blade might as well be made out of aluminum. When I started out collecting I was hesitant to give my favorite folders hard use because I didn't know how to re-sharpen them. Don't made that mistake. Cheers!

Hi, folks.

Glad I found this forum. I just recently became interested in knives. I've been into firearms for quite a while, but I want to increase my knowledge about defensive weaponry.

I just ordered a Tac Force dagger style folding knife for $8. I figured I can get a sense of the mechanics of the weapon without spending a lot of $$$ right out of the gate. I'll let everyone know my impressions when it arrives.

I'd be interested in any resources regarding use of a knife for self-defense or any other cool thing forum members can think of.

Many thanks!

It depends there are many different styles of knife fighting. The style will dictate which knife is best. You have to decide what type of knife fighting you want to train in and seek training in it.

The tac force knives are literal garbage. You shouldn’t rely on it for even training with, and you shouldn’t train with a sharp knife anyway.

I could make some suggestions for different knife fighting styles and you pick which you want.

First of all there are more traditional knife fighting schools like Kali or Eskrima. These are good for learning a broad range of knifr fighting skills. U

Then there are more modern “urban” knife fighting schools like Martial Blade Concepts headed by Michael Janich or Pikal knife fighting headed by Craig Douglas. These focus more on modern knife self defense but probably don’t offer as well rounded a curriculum as the traditional knife fighting arts.

Lastly if you are wanting to carry a big knife check out Comtech run by James Keating.

If I was going to recommend a cheap but excellent little yfighting knife then you should check out the Kershaw Emerson collabs. Especially the cqc6k or the cqc4xl. Also look up what a waved knife is and learn how to use the wave. The Kershaw/Emersons are waved knives.

Back