new handle for my ilitis ox head

so my poor old ox head axe that my dad bought for me when I was a kid in the late 70's kinda went missing.was mia for a few years then I found it on a shelf in my garage buried in my hoard.now its seen better days,has had a lot of use and the handle had been split.it also had a nasty bend in the handle from being wedged behind the seat of my truck.so I ordered a replacement handle from a company here in Canada,was supposed to be a direct replacement for ilitis axes.so I got the new axe handle hung fits real good but man this handle feels wrong in my hands.its way to thick and makes the axe look like a log with a hunk of steel on the end of it.the new handle has the correct shape compared to the new one its just thick and awkward.whats the best way to lose some diameter of this ash club?

thanks

so my poor old ox head axe that my dad bought for me when I was a kid in the late 70's kinda went missing.was mia for a few years then I found it on a shelf in my garage buried in my hoard.now its seen better days,has had a lot of use and the handle had been split.it also had a nasty bend in the handle from being wedged behind the seat of my truck.so I ordered a replacement handle from a company here in Canada,was supposed to be a direct replacement for ilitis axes.so I got the new axe handle hung fits real good but man this handle feels wrong in my hands.its way to thick and makes the axe look like a log with a hunk of steel on the end of it.the new handle has the correct shape compared to the new one its just thick and awkward.whats the best way to lose some diameter of this ash club?

thanks
You can use an orbital sander, spoke shave, wood rasp (including a 4-in-hand). Or just hand sandpaper if that's what you've got! It happens more often than not these days with replacement hafts. Companies just make them really thick.
It's a good feeling to thin em down and rehang an old axe!
What make and pattern is the axe? Can you post some photos? You'l need to use an image hosting website though. Like imgur etc.

thanks
Welcome to Bladeforums
Double check fat boy's grain before grabbing a rasp. During slimming process it is possible to create grain run out.

Last edited:
thnks for the replies,i went hog wild on it with a rasp,spoke shave and then sand paper.got it fitting my hands almost perfect.just gotta work the sofo down a bit more,its kinda of weird looking lump.will get an imjur account a put some pictures up.

Looks good.:thumbsup:
WhHX92G.jpg
Ee3fem2.jpg

t2i6tvK.jpg
ThjuB4i.jpg

t2i6tvK.jpg

thanks yankee josh,will get the knicks worked out of the blade before I finish hanging the handle.i probably put 10 hours into it when my dad 1st bought it for me.filing the blade down nice and thin for good cutting,it used to be laser sharp.used to take it moose and deer hunting with me in the past 40 years or more.it likely has a 1000 miles on it from being on the snow machine with me while fishing countless northern Ontario lakes in the winter.its like an old friend that im taking care of,and boy was I glad when I finally found it.thought it was lost forever.

Back