New HK Axis Knife, but Not by Benchmade?!

I will definitly be trying out the Exemplar. Hogues quality has been incredible so far, but their designs have been quite ugly (imo). The Exemplar with a non-serrated blade is better looking than anything they've done up to this point with Elishawitz.

If nothing else, I'm very curious to see their execution of the Axis lock vs that of Benchmade.

I personally would prefer not to get in to a debate about HK firearms. I am aware that many people hate them and that many people love them. I happen to like them, and have for many years, but I am by no means a fanboy that wishes to expend my energy defending them.

However, the article you link actually proves my point in a way from a marketing standpoint. According to the article HK's are overpriced and have a rabid following of fans that are willing to pay outrageous prices for them. So why then make a budget line of HK knives? For whom exactly? Fans of HK would likely pay exorbitant prices for an HK branded knife if it has at least a perceived high quality. And the HK haters who consider them overpriced and overrated would likely not buy an HK branded knife in the first place.

I'm not trying to be contentious and have no wish to argue. I'm not a knife expert, just a guy that likes knives. I do think that I understand business fairly well however, and it happens be my opinion that positioning HK as a budget brand is and has always been a mistake.

Last edited:
I personally would prefer not to get in to a debate about HK firearms. I am aware that many people hate them and that many people love them. I happen to like them, and have for many years, but I am by no means a fanboy that wishes to expend my energy defending them.

However, the article you link actually proves my point in a way from a marketing standpoint. According to the article HK's are overpriced and have a rabid following of fans that are willing to pay outrageous prices for them. So why then make a budget line of HK knives? For whom exactly? Fans of HK would likely pay exorbitant prices for an HK branded knife if it has at least a perceived high quality. And the HK haters who consider them overpriced and overrated would likely not buy an HK branded knife in the first place.

I'm not trying to be contentious and have no wish to argue. I'm not a knife expert, just a guy that likes knives. I do think that I understand business fairly well however, and it happens be my opinion that positioning HK as a budget brand is and has always been a mistake.

While we are comparing German brands lending their brand to other products, look what Porsche does, you don't see "cheap" Porsche stuff (admittedly a lot of their stuff in house designed) but their non-car stuff like watches, bicycles and frigging Speedboats are overdesigned and exorbitantly priced. HK is a brand (good or bad) that stakes on reputation and worldwide recognition, it would seem in their best interest not to let themselves fall into the budget mindset. Although it could be a ploy as well hoping for people to think "Oh I can't afford a 10 grand MSG90, but I can buy at least the 200$ Folding Knife" kinda doubt it though.

I have not seen gun buyers equate the same level of value to knives, that they do to guns. For instance, they might not blink an eye at a $2k rifle, but then think that a $200 knife is a ridiculous price. How many times have we, as knife enthusiasts, seen the same stupid argument of "I can buy a Glock 19 for the price of that knife," or "I'll just buy another gun for that much money...." :rolleyes:

It would be my guess that they are unable to sell HK branded knives over a certain price point, regardless of how expensive the guns are.

Look at s&w, they stooped to the budget realm. But in all reality they likely out sell most other knife companies by a lot. They went with quantity over quality and I'd wager they make a boat load of money from selling those cheap rebranded s&w knives.

Way more people carry and buy them, and lose or break them and get another. I dislike crappy knives but from a business standpoint they are winning.

Like some people have said Benchmade has nothing to worry at least net yet that said this is HK first run of knives with Houge and in my opinion had to rush out these knives . You give them more time and they will come out with better option that can compete with Benchmade and other companies at a better price .

Reactions: Mo2
You could try and find out how their last OTF turned out?

Overall, seems like they are pretty good - one guy reviewed here had some OOB issues he fixed but that's not unique. Are we assuming (likely correctly) that the HK & Hogues will have the same internals? Handle ergos don't look great but you would need one in hand to make that judgement. More DA OTFs that don't suck is a good thing IMO even if for me they are just toys *snick* *snick* :D

I have one HK, a Patrol, which is now sold as a Benchmade Casbah with a selling price ~$30 higher and S30V instead of D2. The grivory handle makes it look a little cheap but it is a very well built knife with no F&F issues that I found. Has a solid open but is not quite as fast as my similar Protech CQC7a.

HK should try and get the Ritter blade design and make a new handle out of G10 and they will kill the Griptilian .

While I've yet to see an axis lock malfunction, I just can't trust those two tiny springs. Something like the Spyderco ball lock just seems more robust and reliable. I can't back it up with experience since none of mine have broken yet.

I've got the Benchmade/H&K Axis lock with the tan G10 scales.

I was looking at getting a Benchmade Griptilian, but the small was too small in my hand and the regular size is bigger than I like to carry. Then one day I was at Going Gear and saw the H&K Axis lock and handled it. Size wise it was perfect for my hand. Added bonus - G10 scales & D2 steel at a cheaper price than a regular Griptilian. I don't own any H&K firearms so the logo sorta bugged me. Contemplated removing the black coating & H&K logo, but just replaced the pocketclip with a standard Benchmade one. I now carry it when I want a tough as hell folder with a strong lock. Wish I'd grabbed some of the H&K Snody designs too.

Hogue knows a thing or two about ergos.

So far, this thread is nothing but talk, with a lot of assumption. I’m willing to wait till people get them in hand and use them before I pass judgment. Even more so if I can get them in hand.

Sometimes, something looks ugly until you start using and realize it’s amazingly functional. Let’s not forget that ugly little knife called “the worker” with that hole in the blade that everyone thought was hideous 30 yrs ago. Then they started using them.

Not trying to compare this directly to Sal’s beginning, but I believe that Hogue has earned the benefit of the doubt. Let’s see these knives in action before we start writing their obituaries.

I think It will look less cheap when we get to the the exemplar with stonewashed blade and plain edge. I still think the ex-03 is a better looking knife and they will come in at about the same street price of around 135, which i think is about $50 too high... The griptillian is already overpriced at around 110 when you can get g10 manix for he same price and a MUCH stouter knife, and you dont have to worry about benchmade quality control.

I won’t be buying it and I likely wouldn’t buy any Axis knife other than BM. Same as I won’t touch a knife that has a Spyderhole from anyone other than Spyderco.

Call me nuts, and I love BM as an example, but don’t want a Griptilian with a Spyderco-like hole. Same as I don’t want a Spyderco or ZT with an Axis lock.

To each their own.

I realize that I am biased against brand loyalty and it colors my perception of these things but I genuinely can't figure out why anyone would be brand loyal to Benchmade when it comes to the Axis lock. Les didn't develop the lock. He literally bought it from Bill McHenry and Jason Williams. If Benchmade continues to profit it from it, it's not like the original designers are benefitting.

That OTF has me really interested. The flipper also has me interested if it implements the Hogue detent system. My X1 Microflip has awesome flipping action, getting that on an Axis lock would be sweet.

Back