New hobbyist maker reporting in!

I see a lot of new guys make their introductions, so why not.
My name is Waltteri and i hail from the frozen shores of Helsinki, Finland. There is a huge knife maker community here, mostly puukko knives. My interest however is in kitchen knives, and that's what i'v been concentrating my efforts on for the last two years.
I'm excited to meet all you guys and potentially expand my knowledge in the craft itself, as well as get to know this wonderful community!

-Have yourself a great day!

Welcome! I'd like to see what you've been working on.

Wow, those seem really nice! Thanks for sharing
Appreciate it! As of now this is purely hobby based, so i feel that i can put as much time into a project as i feel necessary. 10 hours of hand sanding to a mirror polish is pretty standard haha

Welcome to the forum Walterri! That is some beautiful you work you do. Don't forget to check out the knife makers sub forums here. Plenty of good folks to share ideas with.

Do you forge your own blades? It would seem like the ideal job/hobby for the Finland winters. Not much snow (looks like we in Detroit Michigan get more snow then Helsinki does) but you get darn cold over there. :D

Welcome to the forum Walterri! That is some beautiful you work you do. Don't forget to check out the knife makers sub forums here. Plenty of good folks to share ideas with.

Do you forge your own blades? It would seem like the ideal job/hobby for the Finland winters. Not much snow (looks like we in Detroit Michigan get more snow then Helsinki does) but you get darn cold over there. :D

Would love to be able to forge, but unfortunately that hobby is pretty work space prohibitive. As you can imagine it is fairly difficult/expensive to rent a workshop in the capital, even now we have to split between four guys to be able to afford it. It's an old garage with linoleum floors so looks like forging is excluded automatically.

Back