Recommendation? New Hunting Knife: Steel & country of origin.

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to get a new hunting knife and am looking to have a discussion about what is actually NEEDED. All I need it to do is clean a deer or 2 without a reduction in performance, as well as feel like an actual upgrade from the 2.7 inch 420hc folder I used last season. What I am looking for is below:

Type: Fixed Blade, Full Tang, No Guthook, No seration
Handle: Wood or G10
Steel: Considering N690CO, D2, S30V, and M390
Size: Between 3&3.5 inch blade length
Price: Up to $150
Notes: Not into Spyderco, Prefer to have Jimping

Some things to note: I don't care about ease of sharpening. I will sit around for 5 hours sharpening if I have to to get the right edge. I also am unsure of whether or not it is important if it is USA made steel?

The current knives I am interested in right now are listed below:

BE73451 Beretta Drop Point hunter
Benchmade Steep Country 15008 Drop point
Lion Steel M4 Fixed Blade Black G10 LSTM4G10
Steel Will Cutjack D2 (3.5 inch)
Buck Alaska Guide Series Mini Alpha Hunter (Bos S30V)

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Look at Manly Patriot, G10 scales either German D2 or Crucible CPM154. Blade length is 3.7" come with kydex sheath.
259jZoI.jpg

Benchmade - Saddle Mountain Hunter. S30VN steel though the blade is 4"
Buck - Their Open Season Caper, Small Game or Skinner knives are available in S35VN
Boker - Their Dano or El Trampero comes in N695, The Pine Creek comes in T6MoV. Not the steels you were looking at but everything else is pretty much there.

There are dozens that dit your requirements form Bark River, Dozier, Cold Steel, etc. The hard part is deciding between them.

ZASDER-
Here is my bush knife, VG10, Japan made. I know you dislike Spyderco but you really need to consider this knife, cost around $100 with a great sheath. I have carried it when hunting and camping since introduced by Spyderco about 30 years ago. VG10 steel is not to be dismissed. The feel is really excellent and it isn't a big hog that wears you out when carrying it either. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Back