New hunting knife

Have been looking at getting new all purpose knife for hiking and hunting. Mainly whitetail. Currently using a mid 80's buck 102 woodsman which still serves me well. I am currenly looking at the following: benchmade 162 buschcrafter. Issue with this knife, is I heard it has a 30 degree angle which I don't care for and shouldn't have to reprofile a new knife. Next is a benchmade 15002 saddle mountain skinner. Really like the knife, its appearance, and the sheath but wanted something a little longer. Lastly is another buck, probably like a 119 special pro or a 105 pathfinder pro. The bucks are just a cheaper grade knife which is why I was leaning away but has the larger size. Since none of these are available for hands on in any store, any first hand experiences or any other knife suggestions?

Nothing wrong with an updated Buck design. The Pro knives are really good, especially for the price. But if ya just want something else, check out White River Knife and Tool. Not inexpensive, and certainly not cheap, these folks make a good knife. I'm particularly impressed with the Sendero Classic. I have 2 of them, fwiw. It's the only way I can afford a Jerry Fisk design, and one or the other is my every day carry. If that's too big, or just too much cash, the M1 series is a smaller alternative. I have one of those as well. They have other designs, you'll likely find something to fit you needs.

Buck 104 if you liked the benchmade bushcrafter. I used the benchmade anonymous this week at camp. A 119 buck is hard to beat. The buck 104 is a more all around camp knife and full tang. 5160

Here's a good video I came across years ago by a guy who seems to know what he's about, in mid-hunting season, using a Benchmade Saddle Mountain Skinner.

Here's another guy reviewing the same knife, who you'd swear was going to demonstrate it as a skinner, what with all the gun play in his intro, but is just a guy you shouldn't lend your tools to.

I sharpen ever on a Spyderco Sharpmaker including the Bushcrafter and it works fine so I think the angle isnt that obtuse.

For deer, I use whatever folder or fixed blade I have to field dress. The only real difference is the cleanup after. Then I have a good boning knife and fillet knife to turn it into food.

My dad used a Buck 110 all his life to field dress and a kitchen knife or small fixed blade to butcher.

Here's a good video I came across years ago by a guy who seems to know what he's about, in mid-hunting season, using a Benchmade Saddle Mountain Skinner.

Here's another guy reviewing the same knife, who you'd swear was going to demonstrate it as a skinner, what with all the gun play in his intro, but is just a guy you shouldn't lend your tools to.

Thanks for the videos. Seems like a good knife.

M mjmike Buck just released the 2023 catalog. The 117 is back! Black phenolic or a pro series.

The 117 pro might be perfect for you. Paired with a 103pro skinner you’d be all set.

Back