New Hybrid Viper EO Teardrop

NJBillK

Custom Leather and Fixed Blade modifications.
Let me preface this by saying that I don't quite know what to call a "modern traditional" hence the term "hybrid".

With the release of the Lion Steel Euro-Barlow, and the impending release of the Lion Steel Shuffler, it seems as if others may be poking their toe into the water...
Another Italian brand is looming to see what the fuss is about, and they are bringing some other modern touches to the porch table.

Little things separate this from the Lion Steel offerings like a sunken joint, stainless liners, stop pin and spacers. But what Really makes it stand out, is what it doesn't offer; a back spring. Wait, What?
Lacking a backspring to make it a slip joint, it utilizes a three position detent system to offer a fully seated open, half-stop, and closed positions. That being said, the detent rides in a "side spring" of sorts, so I am not sure of the technical term to denote such a mechanism (The "side spring" term was taken from Mike, below.)

What do you folks think of the new guy?
IMG_8285-300x225.jpg Screenshot_2017-12-30-21-02-13.png
Screenshot_2017-12-30-21-02-37.png
2017-12-30 21.13.42.png

- 3 7/8″ Closed
- 2 11/16″ Spear Blade; M390 steel blade with SS hardware.
- Three position “Action Stopper System” (detent and blade stop pin)

Last edited:
Interesting, and a step in the right direction for the knife world but it certainly isn't a slipjoint.
Too often do people use the term " slipjoint " to refer to any non locking folder that has some sort of retention mechanism to keep a knife open.

I'm not sure this knife qualifies for the porch either, at first glance it might look normal to a guy in the 60's but if you handed it to him he'd find it very strange.

It seems traditional enough to me, but im not sure about everyone else.

Interesting, and a step in the right direction for the knife world but it certainly isn't a slipjoint.
Too often do people use the term " slipjoint " to refer to any non locking folder that has some sort of retention mechanism to keep a knife open.

I'm not sure this knife qualifies for the porch either, at first glance it might look normal to a guy in the 60's but if you handed it to him he'd find it very strange.

It seems traditional enough to me, but im not sure about everyone else.
Edited and thank you for steering me in a more correct direction.

I'm not sure what it actually classifies as, but i think it's interesting and something different that I don't see everyday.

I'll try anything twice, haha.

Is it a friction folder?
Edited out out of not wanting to spread misinformation.
See post below mine for a better explanation.

The good part is that it wouldn't operate any different than a knife would in the 60's, just pull the blade out, cut, and close it. Nothing too different aside from the lack of a back spring visually.

With that in mind, I think it should be fine in this section.
"We give leeway on materials of construction. So if you have a nice stockman with G10 covers, it's traditional enough for us. After all, plastics have been used on knife handles since the 1800's. Stainless steel has been used in cutlery since the 1920's, so stainless is considered traditional. And even though PM alloys are new developments, that fella in the mid-1960's would never know the difference if he were looking at the knife, so they are OK, too."

Last edited:
Well they get points for something fairly unique and interesting.

Too different for my taste, call me old school I guess.

I'm not sure how I feel about this one just yet but I will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread. I like the sunken joint, the easy open feature, and of course, the blade steel. I'm not a big fan of shadow patterns which is what I consider this to be but I'm going to keep an open mind.

Watching Mike close the blade in the video reminded me of the way the blade on a Sebenza seats into the closed position. A smooth ride almost all the way down with minimal resistance until it clicks into the detent at fully closed. Judging by the video alone, the blade action doesn't appear to be snappy upon closing. Not a criticism or a compliment. Just an observation.

I'm curious if the pivot pin is adjustable and if so, what type of tool should be used.

I'm glad I checked this thread out! Reservation made! I'm a real sucker for a lanyard hole, and I love the open back construction.

I hope more scale options are added, a funky acrylic/kirinite would fit the look.

This is right up my alley; lanyard hole, M390, teardrop pattern, concave standoffs, and natural canvas micarta. While I'm not a huge fan of shadow patterns, the pivot on this looks great.

With this Viper develops the system they´ve used in their DAN models to another level. In the DAN models they´ve used this side spring with detend balls to support the friction folding system, but these models have still the blade hook, which sinks into the handle and is "locked" with yout thump. And the detend system was not so strong to keep it open, just a support.
This development seems to be reliable and consequent. Maybe some of the hardbodied defenders of the traditional style will not see it as such, because of its screwd construction or something else, but for me it´s a wonderfull development and brings traditionals to a further step. Ok you might call it modern gentleman style, but for me it´s just a traditional on the next level. A ProTech Magic I would consider as a Modern Gentlemans folder. And this is sooo far from the tactical ones, so it can't be wrong! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I like this actually, robust yet light. The skeleton construction is a nice idea, just hope they start making smaller knives it's too big for my pocket. Looks quality though.

I like that a lot. Thanks for posting, OP, don't know 100% that funds will let me pick one up, but my interest is absolutely piqued.

I reserved one mostly because I'm a sucker for a teardrop. I wonder if the detents will become finicky from contamination after a while.

This mechanism, by this maker, has been on production knives (the Dan series) since mid-2015. I have not heard any concerns to date.
Although I could probably spend some time and make any mechanism finicky by contamination :D

Bob Terzuola developed a "double detent" system quite a few years ago which appears to be exactly like the mechanism described. His incorporated half stops and detents on both sides of the blade.

Interesting concept that has been used by a couple of modern custom makers (Jens Ansø and Brian Fellhoelter) recently.

"side springs" aka detent ball pressure has never really seemed as secure as a back spring to me. I'll be interested to see how these will turn out.

"side springs" aka detent ball pressure has never really seemed as secure as a back spring to me. I'll be interested to see how these will turn out.

The two knives that I have handled that have a double detent (a Fellhoelter and Ansø) are relatively secure but not as secure as a back spring knife. There's potential for some blade play when open. The detent ball and hole must be precision fit to keep play to a minimum. I would compare the Terzuola design to mini liner(s) with ball detents that engage detent holes in both sides of the blade in the open, half stop, and closed position to secure the blade in each position. It's more difficult to explain but is very simple when you see it.

Back