New Hybrid Viper EO Teardrop

There ya go, the obvious answer we were all looking for. EZ Open Teardrop in wood - too modern for a traditional ;)

I think you snipped the meat and potatoes part of the post you quoted out...
Screwing a teardrop or candlestick pattern together and giving it a ball detent ...

It is a modern design with modern materials.

Please humor me, and show me ONE example of a traditional knife pattern that utilized stand offs and ball detent blade management in its construction... I'll be waiting...

That said, you are a dealer/ service provider, with that your vote does probably carry more weight than the average pee on's, but I digress. This knife to me, and in my opinion, is a modern design, in traditional clothing. You can call it whatever you want, at the end of the day, it's still a very clever design, and a very appealing offering, but I think it a stretch to consider it a tradional knife....with all due respect.

There ya go, the obvious answer we were all looking for. EZ Open Teardrop in wood - too modern for a traditional ;)
Oh, and this post by you might be construed as a passive aggressive personal attack, but that would probably be in the eyes of the beholder...I don't think that type of behavior is looked favorably upon in the open forums.

I think that this knife, like some others put forth by CK, is the expression of traditional stylings/patterns in the modern world. I don't see that as a bad thing.

While I enjoy modern knives, I also find myself using my traditional knives far more frequently. The patterns are non-threatening, the blade grinds are slim and geared toward cutting, and I find the aesthetic of traditional knives more pleasing in hand and in use. I'm reasonably new to the forums in relation to many of you here, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Ultimately, I see this offering and others like it as traditional knives taking advantage of modern materials. My impression is that the people who are interested in this knife and ones like it are those who use/own traditional knives or those who are looking to "bridge the gap" between modern and traditional. I don't see why it is a bad thing to engage the Porch, this group of fine individuals in the discussion. I for one, would be much more interested in the feedback from this group regarding these knives than in some other area of the forum.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that while some may consider this a "modern" offering, I would think that the insights provided by this area of the forum are a valuable and important part of the discussion of this "in between" knife and ones like it.

I think you snipped the meat and potatoes part of the post you quoted out...
Please humor me, and show me ONE example of a traditional knife pattern that utilized stand offs and ball detent blade management in its construction... I'll be waiting...
That said, you are a dealer/ service provider, with that your vote does probably carry more weight than the average pee on's, but I digress. This knife to me, and in my opinion, is a modern design, in traditional clothing. You can call it whatever you want, at the end of the day, it's still a very clever design, and a very appealing offering, but I think it a stretch to consider it a tradional knife....with all due respect.

My conversation here and elsewhere is simply to address the definitions of traditional. I am analytical minded and get heartburn when I am suppose to agree with someone that declares something because of an opinion or feeling one way or the other. Even if I actually agree with them down deep, I like to see a standard that can be used as a measuring stick. For example, in the sticky post we picture the Levine's guide that is littered with knives that would not meet most peoples criteria of a traditional if we put actual opinions to the written word. For example, a Schrade wire jack. No backspring - no slabs, etc. Does that disqualify it? Penny knives - most criteria would exclude them - but they may be the oldest form of folding knife to exist. Many times I play devils advocate just to figure out where the boundaries actually lay, as opposed to what this person or that person feel. I personally wouldn't have a problem with saying a "traditional folder" needs to have a backspring that is fixed at two points rendering it an actual "spring". But now we have to remove discussion of MANY other knives typically considered traditional. With each aspect we casually exclude, do we not need to actually define the mechanical aspect that include/excludes a certain model? I mean Levine has a Spyderco Q in his book, Penny knives of several variations, foldover knives, etc. etc. Does he get to define them? Who picks which knife in his book we will further quantify a traditional. When do we hold elections to determine who's opinions we make into rules this year. I guess what I am saying is that definitions are great; but definitions that are actually detailed enough that everyone reads them the same are even better. Having mods make the judgement calls are how we handle these issues, and I am the first one to support that. Having other individuals form an opinion and then act like I must be logically handicapped or less experienced if I don't agree, doesn't sit so well.

Oh, and this post by you might be construed as a passive aggressive personal attack, but that would probably be in the eyes of the beholder...I don't think that type of behavior is looked favorably upon in the open forums.

No, it was complete humor - this the little winker at the end. As I have said before, everyone is welcome to their opinion. And none carries any more weight than the other as far as I am concerned. We are all just people here because we love knives. Some of us handle them every day; some of us less frequent. But in the end, there are few that consider them more than an interest at some level or another. And even less that consider ourselves any kind of expert above / beyond the rest here.

But, in the end, it is a conversation between friends. Which should be viewed as friends trying to make their point. Many times I don't even believe my own point - thus asking me to believe everyone else's just makes my head hurt.

My conversation here and elsewhere is simply to address the definitions of traditional. I am analytical minded and get heartburn when I am suppose to agree with someone that declares something because of an opinion or feeling one way or the other. Even if I actually agree with them down deep, I like to see a standard that can be used as a measuring stick. For example, in the sticky post we picture the Levine's guide that is littered with knives that would not meet most peoples criteria of a traditional if we put actual opinions to the written word. For example, a Schrade wire jack. No backspring - no slabs, etc. Does that disqualify it? Penny knives - most criteria would exclude them - but they may be the oldest form of folding knife to exist. Many times I play devils advocate just to figure out where the boundaries actually lay, as opposed to what this person or that person feel. I personally wouldn't have a problem with saying a "traditional folder" needs to have a backspring that is fixed at two points rendering it an actual "spring". But now we have to remove discussion of MANY other knives typically considered traditional. With each aspect we casually exclude, do we not need to actually define the mechanical aspect that include/excludes a certain model? I mean Levine has a Spyderco Q in his book, Penny knives of several variations, foldover knives, etc. etc. Does he get to define them? Who picks which knife in his book we will further quantify a traditional. When do we hold elections to determine who's opinions we make into rules this year. I guess what I am saying is that definitions are great; but definitions that are actually detailed enough that everyone reads them the same are even better. Having mods make the judgement calls are how we handle these issues, and I am the first one to support that. Having other individuals form an opinion and then act like I must be logically handicapped or less experienced if I don't agree, doesn't sit so well.

No, it was complete humor - this the little winker at the end. As I have said before, everyone is welcome to their opinion. And none carries any more weight than the other as far as I am concerned. We are all just people here because we love knives. Some of us handle them every day; some of us less frequent. But in the end, there are few that consider them more than an interest at some level or another. And even less that consider ourselves any kind of expert above / beyond the rest here.

But, in the end, it is a conversation between friends. Which should be viewed as friends trying to make their point. Many times I don't even believe my own point - thus asking me to believe everyone else's just makes my head hurt.
I wouldn't get a headache over it, it's just a knife discussion. Thanks for the clarification, I think. :)
If one goes looking for boundaries, shouldn't one expect to hit a fence once in a while? LOL

I wouldn't get a headache over it, it's just a knife discussion. Thanks for the clarification, I think. :)
If one goes looking for boundaries, shouldn't one expect to hit a fence once in a while? LOL

In Oklahoma if a fence is put up and not disputed for 20 years, it is the new boundary. Thus, again, I like defined boundaries - not assumed ones :D
(I don't actually know if that is law, just what a lawyer told me a few years ago)

In Oklahoma if a fence is put up and not disputed for 20 years, it is the new boundary. Thus, again, I like defined boundaries - not assumed ones :D
(I don't actually know if that is law, just what a lawyer told me a few years ago)
Kind of like a right of way...if your neighbor chooses to cut across your property and you do not confront them and advise them that you do not wish it, they will eventually be able to claim a right of way. Sometimes folks need to stand their ground, on principal alone, lest they be hit with a right of way...no sense in it all, just the way the world seems to work. Good tidings to you Mike.

Good lookin' knife. If they let you talk about it here, I want to be able to talk about my Case Trapperlocks, too. Just have that little pesky thumbstud. Otherwise, pretty much looks like other Case Trappers. No backspring, uses a detent. Spacer instead of a backspring, but it LOOKS like a backspring. Pinned construction. None of those nasty screws. As long as it doesn't look all ugly and tactical, we should be able to talk about it here, right? No sense in drawing needless lines.

I still think this has been a fun and informative thread, but I’m also new and fresh to the forum debates, and haven’t argued the points many times over.

Good lookin' knife. If they let you talk about it here, I want to be able to talk about my Case Trapperlocks, too. Just have that little pesky thumbstud. Otherwise, pretty much looks like other Case Trappers. No backspring, uses a detent. Spacer instead of a backspring, but it LOOKS like a backspring. Pinned construction. None of those nasty screws. As long as it doesn't look all ugly and tactical, we should be able to talk about it here, right? No sense in drawing needless lines.

Trouble maker! :D Thumb stud and liner lock are already written in stone - the EZ Open doesn't have anything specifically in writing - YET :)

Trouble maker! :D Thumb stud and liner lock are already written in stone - the EZ Open doesn't have anything specifically in writing - YET :)
May you sell a thousand of them! ;) I have been a customer of yours for a while now, and I may even pick one up just to see this newfangled ball detent mechanism...still waiting for the example of one made in this this fashion in years gone by.........

May you sell a thousand of them! ;) I have been a customer of yours for a while now, and I may even pick one up just to see this newfangled ball detent mechanism...still waiting for the example of one made in this this fashion in years gone by.........

There were not examples of previous mechanisms on any deviation - until there was. If my great, great, great grandfather would have met yours out in front of the courthouse and decided backsprings were not traditional - this conversation would be much easier (NOT). Do we draw the line in the sand on 1/1/2018 and say today is the day that anything to be considered traditional any time in the future is required to have a precedent prior to this date?

I wasn't too into it as the Shuffler scratches my itch... but I now might just be into it now because Mike is a good guy and after this thread I'm intrigued

There were not examples of previous mechanisms on any deviation - until there was. If my great, great, great grandfather would have met yours out in front of the courthouse and decided backsprings were not traditional - this conversation would be much easier (NOT). Do we draw the line in the sand on 1/1/2018 and say today is the day that anything to be considered traditional any time in the future is required to have a precedent prior to this date?
You have answered my question brilliantly, thank you, my work is done here :)

I like the knife. Only time will tell if I ever own one.

As to whether or not it is traditional, this debate makes me think of those vintage sports cars one sometimes sees. Wow, that brings it all back, nostalgia. Wait a minute, it's one of those kits. It is still a cool car, and looks vintage, it just isn't.

the average pee on's,

I had to laugh at the irony in these two posts.

The term is peon, meaning someone of low rank.

The term pee on, referring to persons of lower stature would be an insult and aggressive, and completely disregarding the passive part.

I know this wasn't intended, and no insult was meant, as I am fairly certain that you meant it in the way that "peon" is defined.

Another slip joint innovation/adaptation by CK.... replace the backspring with a detent to conceal/hide the blade tang. Bravo! I have a Viper Dan2 and carry it frequently. Never had an issue with the detent system. It's one of my favorite "modern" carries. Looking forward to this one, Mike.... can there be a few made without the lanyard holes drilled in the covers?

Back