New Kershaw slipjoints

Just my opinion, but it isn't going to take a Herculean effort to reach Rough Ryder quality. Hopefully they can push each other to better quality through competition. That's always good for the consumer.

Like the look of the Culpepper, but not the steel. I am also not sure I appreciate the source of the name given the source of manufacture.

The steel alloy is better than either 440A or 420HC, and given a good heat-treat should be quite useable. I'd like to know how much Vanadium is in the mix, and at what hardness they come out. They sound like a good value to me, if they're made right.

Fair enough. I thought 420HC edged it out but looking at the numbers I suspect you're correct. Or at least no worse for sure. Definitely will be HT dependent. Thanks for motivating me to double check!

Link to 7Cr13MoV composition: http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/steelgraph.php?nm=7cr13

Link to Case's TruSharp: http://zknives.com/knives/steels/case_tru-sharp.shtml

If they're gonna start making traditional, they should start by reproducing the Kershaw Wild Turkey. I have one and it is a fantastic knife

451MwdT.jpg

If they're gonna start making traditional, they should start by reproducing the Kershaw Wild Turkey. I have one and it is a fantastic knife

Now you're talking. Those Kershaw pics look awful. They make the knives look like gas station specials. Seems like they could find a well-made prototype and a professional photographer for the catalog photos. Maybe they did ... scary thought.

I am an unabashed KAI fan so I will be trying these out. I have been content with their import 8cr models, used their 3cr Shuffles before without issue so I can’t see why these would be a disappointment. No, they aren’t GECs but I know that going into it...either way, more traditionals means more fun!

It is good to see someone else enter (or re-enter in this case) the slipjoint market.
I would be willing to at least see what they are about...for $25 why not. Maybe a good candidate for rehandle practice.

Jimping though? C'mon now. Who did they consult with? :)

It is good to see someone else enter (or re-enter in this case) the slipjoint market.
I would be willing to at least see what they are about...for $25 why not. Maybe a good candidate for rehandle practice.

Jimping though? C'mon now. Who did they consult with? :)
So how familiar are you with the jimping wars?

No but seriously I came across the few new Kershaw traditional knives in a unrelated thread. Knives like these are good overall.

They are broadcasting the viability of a slip joint to their massive customer base. As those customers try out traditional knives they'll (mostly) come to a realization that a traditional knife is a viable daily user. It will take a long time (maybe never) for them to be on par with a company like GEC but that's not the point; the point is more modern/tactical knife makers and dealers are finding an interest in non locking folders. That's not a bad thing.

They are broadcasting the viability of a slip joint to their massive customer base. As those customers try out traditional knives they'll (mostly) come to a realization that a traditional knife is a viable daily user. It will take a long time (maybe never) for them to be on par with a company like GEC but that's not the point; the point is more modern/tactical knife makers and dealers are finding an interest in non locking folders. That's not a bad thing.

Well said. Everything old is new again.

These look okay. The barlow being my preferred pattern of the three offerings. Expect KAI to deliver laser sharp blades out of the box, however grinds likely very thick behind the edge.

Uninterested. Would rather pay more and get a better knife. At this price point, I'd rather have a Victorinox.

bgBlACi.jpg
KjaoRH0.jpg

Well just picked up this culpepper today, local sporting goods store has the Kershaw slippies in stock. At 35 bucks I could have ordered online a bit cheaper,but I got to handle it before laying my money down. So far its actually pretty good in fit'n'finish and walk'n'talk. No halfstops and smooth pull,maybe a 5. Pull feels like my Vic tinker.
These look okay. The barlow being my preferred pattern of the three offerings. Expect KAI to deliver laser sharp blades out of the box, however grinds likely very thick behind the edge.
You pretty much nailed that, really sharp but a bit thick. But not to bad overall imho.
GqxXaCC.jpg

Slightly odd blade shape, the spine of the blade is curved. Pulls on the mark and pile sides, thumb jimping on the spine. This may be a bit offputting to some,doesn't bother me though it's fairly unobtrusive.
Q3gjY3u.jpg

Same OAL as a Case 3299 1/2 large jack, but narrower and sleeker in the handle.
e3LCDvr.jpg

G4Or0Ky.jpg

A tad longer than a GEC 86 but again a bit narrower. While I forgot to include it in the pics its resemblance to the Rough Rider swayback work knife in materials and finish leads me to believe they're from the same factory. Gonna give it a good workout this week and do a follow up.
Edit: I realized I put the wrong price I paid. It was 34.99,still a good buy imho.

Last edited:
Also wanted to add quite honestly there aren't many good decent large jackknives outside of GEC. Especially anything else at this price point and if mine is anything to go on they are of good quality.

Last edited:
Back