1. Washington action alert - Spring blade knife ban repeal thread. Hearing is Tues, Vote is Friday, let your voice be heard!

New Kershaw slipjoints

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by mnblade, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Not the place for politics, please. Take it elsewhere.

2. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Just my opinion, but it isn't going to take a Herculean effort to reach Rough Ryder quality. Hopefully they can push each other to better quality through competition. That's always good for the consumer.

Misplaced Hillbilly and Pinemoon like this.
  3. jstrange

jstrange

Mar 31, 2012
    Like the look of the Culpepper, but not the steel. I am also not sure I appreciate the source of the name given the source of manufacture.

4. Pinemoon

Pinemoon Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Understood, good Sir.
    Sorry for the detour.

Peregrin likes this.
  5. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Fair enough. I thought 420HC edged it out but looking at the numbers I suspect you're correct. Or at least no worse for sure. Definitely will be HT dependent. Thanks for motivating me to double check!

Link to 7Cr13MoV composition: http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/steelgraph.php?nm=7cr13

Link to Case's TruSharp: http://zknives.com/knives/steels/case_tru-sharp.shtml

6. Mayonardo

Mayonardo Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Meh

7. Mayonardo

Mayonardo Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Meh

8. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Kershaw has made traditionals in the past. I might check these out.

9. confucius37

confucius37 Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2008
    If they're gonna start making traditional, they should start by reproducing the Kershaw Wild Turkey. I have one and it is a fantastic knife

[​IMG]

10. gaj999

gaj999 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 25, 2004
    Now you're talking. Those Kershaw pics look awful. They make the knives look like gas station specials. Seems like they could find a well-made prototype and a professional photographer for the catalog photos. Maybe they did ... scary thought.

confucius37 likes this.
  11. Pinemoon

Pinemoon Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Looks like an Al Mar :thumbsup:

confucius37 likes this.
  12. metsfan

metsfan Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 26, 2012
    I am an unabashed KAI fan so I will be trying these out. I have been content with their import 8cr models, used their 3cr Shuffles before without issue so I can’t see why these would be a disappointment. No, they aren’t GECs but I know that going into it...either way, more traditionals means more fun!

13. CaptInsano

CaptInsano

Apr 11, 2007
    I might try a Culpepper for $30 or whatever they actually sell for.

14. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    It is good to see someone else enter (or re-enter in this case) the slipjoint market.
    I would be willing to at least see what they are about...for $25 why not. Maybe a good candidate for rehandle practice.

Jimping though? C'mon now. Who did they consult with? :)

JohnDF and Crazy Canuck like this.