New Knife being released on Webstore today

I was surprised at the amount of short videos on IG from Tim about the knife. I don't like it....BUT I applaud CRK for all of the new stuff recently they've brought to us!

Looks interesting. Not entirely my 1st choice and I'm wondering about the handle material. But it looks like a functional good knife. I'm thinking CRK wouldn't sell it or "endorse" it if it was junk. Looked like it had a pivot bushing as well. So, it may be a good choice for some.

I can't find it on their website, but did follow the link and take a look at the knife. It is not what I would picture if I was to envision a CRK lockback, but one would assume they did their homework before agreeing to sell it...

Based on Tim's responses to IG threads it seems this knife was "designed and made by a really good family friend". They're just trying to "help a friend".

As much as I find the whole thing distasteful, I can't say I wouldn't use my market exposure to help a friend (if I owned a famous brand).

I think a "hey guy's!......check out these awesome knives our family friend makes....I love them" might have gone down a lot better for me than "hey guys!....buy one these knives our friend makes that I am selling to you at MSRP".

Anyways......I am sure I am not the target audience. I've said my peace.

Could it be that "we" (existing CRK customers/fans/aficionados) are not the target audience, but rather they are starting to go for a new demographic? Businesses have to keep things fresh and explore new ideas. Who knows. It doesn't tarnish the brand in my mind, ando it may work out well for everyone.

Who's in on one and when can we have a review? ;)

While I'm not a fan of the knife, nor do I understand why CRK is offering another company's knife on their site, I'd love to see CRK offer a lock back design.

I thought the scales were g10 not injection molded. The cool thing about these Nilte lockbacks is the lockbar is the spring all in one piece. It makes it a unique design with minimum parts.

I thought the Nilte Quiete was the nicer Nilte knife. The Raggio's blade is too sheep-footed for me.

I like the blade shape... if it is quality it is quality, but one thing that bugs me is the choice of matierials. If the scales were micarta I would be all over this. If I am spending 200+ on a knife I want quality materials and construction.

This is a real head-scratcher for me. CRK is supposed to be a bastion of the tightest tolerances and best knifemaking, and they're selling injection-plastic-and-sandvik knives by some random guy? Look at the broken down view. For $200, I hope that comes with a $100 bill tucked into the scales.

I applaud Tim wanting to help out a buddy, but this is like a Rolex factory store sprinkling a few Timexes into the case to help out a friend. Neither side benefits from the comparison.

Relax everyone, as the Nilte website states, it's not really a knife - it's a Sport Utility Tool! (ROTFLMAO)

This is a real head-scratcher for me. CRK is supposed to be a bastion of the tightest tolerances and best knifemaking, and they're selling injection-plastic-and-sandvik knives by some random guy? Look at the broken down view. For $200, I hope that comes with a $100 bill tucked into the scales.

I applaud Tim wanting to help out a buddy, but this is like a Rolex factory store sprinkling a few Timexes into the case to help out a friend. Neither side benefits from the comparison.

Sorry Mr. Shabazz, but I've gotta disagree on this. He's not some random guy, he's Massimo Fantoni, the son of Renzo Fantoni (Fantoni Knives). I have handled a Nilte in the past and it was beautifully, beautifully made. Nilte may not be well-known in the US, but their knives are the real deal.

While 14C28N is an excellent steel, the cost of raw materials aren't what makes a knife expensive. The production volume and time spent on each knife are the big factors in price.

I have not handled this particular model but I don't think $200 is an outrageous asking price at all.

It's a little unusual that CRK's selling it, but they explain on their website that Massimo is a long-time friend, and unusual is not necessarily a bad thing. I also don't think CRK would stand behind a knife that they didn't think was excellent.

Ramblings over!

Many good points, but the CRK website says they specifically do not stand behind this knife, and the CRK warranty does not apply.

So apparently I stand corrected. The handle is made from an injection molded material called Ixef.

Many good points, but the CRK website says they specifically do not stand behind this knife, and the CRK warranty does not apply.

By "stand behind" I just mean associate themselves with it by promoting it and offering it for sale. It makes sense that they wouldn't be able to warranty it because they don't make it and don't make parts for it.

Personally I'd like to see them offer something more high end than dabble in hawking low end knives.

An M390 Sebenza would be nice.

Sport utility. Mountain climbing is some of the target audience. Tho I don't see mountain climbing with a lock back.

You guys really hate anything out of the norm even if it doesn't even effect you.

Sport utility. Mountain climbing is some of the target audience. Tho I don't see mountain climbing with a lock back.

You guys really hate anything out of the norm even if it doesn't even effect you.
I wouldn't say that. I have ZTs, Kershaw, Benchmade, Spyderco, Bucks, CRK. I like and use them all in rotation. I'm not loyal to just one brand. They all have their pluses and minuses.

Sorry Mr. Shabazz, but I've gotta disagree on this. He's not some random guy, he's Massimo Fantoni, the son of Renzo Fantoni (Fantoni Knives). I have handled a Nilte in the past and it was beautifully, beautifully made. Nilte may not be well-known in the US, but their knives are the real deal. ... The production volume and time spent on each knife are the big factors in price.

I have not handled this particular model but I don't think $200 is an outrageous asking price at all.

This is why I should probably handle one before passing a stronger verdict. Glad to hear that his work is up to par.

I will say, though, that $200 for 14C28N and Resin is a price which demands absolute perfection in execution, grind, and finishing. Put differently, this had better be the Sebenza of Resin-handled backlocks.

Back