New Knife For A Military Man?

Nephron44

Gold Member
Hey everyone!

I'm looking to buy a knife for my buddy for Christmas. He is in the military and currently carries a CRKT M16. I'm looking for something that could stand up to some abuse, such as a deployment overseas like his CRKT has been through, but also be useful around the house when he's not at drill. He doesn't like assisted or automatic knives, and balisongs are illegal where we are. I'd also like to keep the blade length under 4 inches. I would also like to try to keep my budget around 125 or under. American made might also be a plus seeing as it is going to a man who protects this country, but that's not a big deal. Anyone have any experience first hand with some knives fit for military use?

EDIT: I would like to get him a folding knife.

Last edited:
Although they're unfortunately not US-made, the Cold Steel Recon 1 folders are available in a variety of styles and sizes. I have the tanto and spear-point versions, and would consider them quite capable. For something bordering on over-the-top "beefy" but not assisted-opening, the Buck/TOPS CSAR-T is a monster and *is* made in the US.

I like Kershaws and ZTs myself, but I lean toward the assisted models of theirs.

No experience to speak of, but based on what you said, I would suggest a Cold Steel Recon 1, or Code 4. Under your price point, with a great steel CTS XHP.

I came across this the other day while browsing, and as ex military it tickled my fancy; a little out of your budget, but a military guy might appreciate it;

Last edited:
how about blizetec survival knife ?
my father is a policeman and own it. I think it suits with the military task too :D

Spyderco Manix 2 LW with S110V is around 100 or the g10 with s30v for a little more
Para-Military 2 in s30v for around 120,
H&K Axis folder with D2 for around 100
Cold Steel Recon 1 or Code 4 are also good pieces from 90

Go check out the Exchange for Sale by Dealers and pick some of the dealers, shop around and enjoy!

Here's a couple questions which could definitely affect relevancy of different options.

What branch of service
What MOS?

I would certainly make a different suggestion for a grunt then I would a pilot or a pac clerk...

spyderco- paramilitary 2,manix 2
cold steel recon 1 code 4 possible it is a slick knife though because the aluminum handles
benchmade grip or hk axis
multitool of some sort gerber,leatherman

Here's a couple questions which could definitely affect relevancy of different options.

What branch of service
What MOS?

I would certainly make a different suggestion for a grunt then I would a pilot or a pac clerk...

Army Medic :)

Spyderco Manix 2 LW with S110V is around 100 or the g10 with s30v for a little more
Para-Military 2 in s30v for around 120,
H&K Axis folder with D2 for around 100
Cold Steel Recon 1 or Code 4 are also good pieces from 90

Go check out the Exchange for Sale by Dealers and pick some of the dealers, shop around and enjoy!

Why HK and not Benchmade?

Ha, my bad... HTM Kirby Lambert Snap. BladeHQ has 'em in at a pretty good price right now.

Why HK and not Benchmade?

I love my benchmades but don't care for the Griptilian scales and there's not many more you can get for that price, unless you get used or find a good deal. So just my opinion from also being in the military.

I like the G10 and D2 better.. The H&K also has benchmades warranty services so there's that.

Being an army grunt currently I would suggest either the cold Steel recon one or a zt. I have found the pm2 and military to not be robust enough to handle what we throw at it. Remember we don't always have the right tool on hand some sometimes have to resort to using a pocket knife in rather destructive ways. The more overbuilt the better

Being an army grunt currently I would suggest either the cold Steel recon one or a zt. I have found the pm2 and military to not be robust enough to handle what we throw at it. Remember we don't always have the right tool on hand some sometimes have to resort to using a pocket knife in rather destructive ways. The more overbuilt the better

Trust me I would say that over half of us would've suggested ZT had he set the price tag a little higher lol

I would take a used ZT over a new griptilian any day

Back