New Knife Maker

Hey
I am a 62 year old retired/disabled USAF veteran and I am learning how to make knives. Actually, my new neighbor is a farrier and blacksmith. He is retired Army but I can't hold that against him because he is willing and very patient to teach me. He has all the equipment and is graciously teaching me. My question is: What type of clay do you use to make a hamon and where can I buy it. Also, any recommendations on the best technique of using it. I am mostly making my knives out of old truck coil and leaf springs.
Thank you in advanced
Doug

A bunch of us share our hamon processes in this thread. You need shallow hardening steels. Leaf springs and truck coil springs are typically deeper hardening. It's impossible to know exactly which alloy they are, but 5160 is a typical spring alloy.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1459372-The-Hamon-Thread

Shallow hardening steels like W1/W2, 1095, 1075, or hitachi white are common choices. Sairset, satanite, and Rutland furnace cement are common clays.

Or high-temp silicone paste :p (this used as a sealant for furnaces )

Last edited:
I use the Rutlands furnace cement- but as previously stated- Steels such as 1075, W2. and 1095 will get a much nicer hammon.

Back