Recommendation? New knife sharpening?

Just got myself a really nice new Bowie knife. It's sharp, but not singing as I'd like to to be. Advise me on if I should just use a flat stone to improve the existing edge, or make a bigger edge with a wet stone. The knife is A Muela Magnun 26 bowie, know as the Seraphim falls knife. Thanks all Rich.

Depends what you want to use it for. Also depends what the current edge angle is.

I’d start by making the current edge sharper. Then decide if it’s not slicey enough. If you want it to chop. Leave it as is.

I would suggest just using a Spyderco Sharpmaker on something that already has a decent edge. Less risk of damaging or scratching up the knife, and the Sharpmaker is great at fine-tuning e fairly sharp edge.

Most factory set secondary bevels would
eventually end up being reprofiled by their respective owners.
It's just the nature of manual sharpening
as the hand held angled abrading motions will as a result, set to reprofile the factory bevel edges to conform to the absolute parallel flat of the sharpening stone or abrasives.

I would not advise to learn how to sharpen on a nice blade like the Magnum. Buy a $30 dollar large fixed blade to practice on before you go to town on the Muela.

Nice knife ! It's made of 440C, so not really the easiest to sharpen. And it has a slight recurve... I would stay away from reprofiling it by hand. But you can use a ceramic rod to reveal the factory sharpening angle. Be soft and check with a magnifying glass : once you hit the right angle, the whole width of the bevel will show your action. Stay true to this and refine / polish up the original edge up to your singing requirements. This should do for a great cutting experience.

Congrats on scoring that really cool blade, I like the way they use that piece around the blade on top of the guard. Being it's a recurve the sharpmaker with diamonds rods may be the best bet to sharpen that factory edge .

There are some made by Spyderco. They come with a support that sets the angle (20° or so). However, it's free handing as you can alter the sharpening angle as you see fit. Just check out the result after a few strokes to see how you hit (or didn't hit) the original angle. Magnifying glass !

Just found the Spyderco sharpener, what a natty bit of kit. Are the worth the price guys?

Yes they are worth it to me.

I Use the "wicked edge" sharpener to set the dps (degrees per side) usually less than 20 dps.

Then I can transition to the sharpmaker for a great micro bevel. Depending on the dps.

I'm usually about 17 or 18 dps, except for kitchen knives and choppers.

Then I use a nice 3 by 12 strop.

Touch up with the strop, and use the sharpmaker if it needs a touch up.

I also have the extra fine hones with the two pair it came with.

My work knives hit the sharpmaker for the touch ups using the ultra fine hones.

But the two it came with work awesome. You can use very light passes to get the knife edge to its zenith.

Back