New knife

Another vote for the Endura 4 (FFG w/ZDP-189 if you can afford the upgraded steel):

Endura%20ZDP%202016%20a.jpg~original

:thumbsup::thumbsup: this is the one still missing from my collection of Hinderer, ZT, Benchmade, Spyderco, etc.

I would likely go with a standard Griptilian, or a Manix 2.

I know you said a Maximum of, but for slightly mkre:
Are you OK with caring for a carbon/tool steel? If so, go with an M4 Griptilian from the custom shop for around $150.
-that is a heavy possibility that i might splurge for

This thread needs some photos . . . (and some mayhem) :
Here is what I think based on my present intoxication with certain products of late; and also based on my constant internal conflict between handle shape and lock release preference.

So :
Chose the lock you like best and buy the knife with the closest handle and blade type for your wants and needs. (my favorite lock release is on the Griptillian / I own a full size Ritter Griptillian).
That path leads to compromise and madness and possible financial ruin.
But
is more fun and interesting from a hobby stand point.

* Yes pick the lock, pick the knife . . . do . . . what a knife knut has got to do to get the knife. Price ? Details, details; to feel better about it divide the price by the number of days you will own it . . . pennies (or dollars) a day right ?
RIGHT.

But . . . and here is where enlightenment leads to freedom leads to happiness . . . of a sort . . . generally . . . in a NONknife hobby sort of way . . . so I hear :
If you don't care about the lock just buy four Buck 110 LTs and mod the blades or get them modded for you and use the knife, or two, that fit your needs of the day.

Two knives minimum in your case (I hear people have been able to function carrying only two knives poor sods).
Here is what I like; box knife for . . . well . . . boxes and stuff (evil box tape glue) and the Endura 4 for camping / food prep and about any other dang thing that gets in your way up to and including the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Taal.

One of these Gerber EABs for the box knife
View attachment 879285

Spyderco Endura 4
Top knife in this photo. Granted it is a lock back but is a one hand releasable and foldable lock back
View attachment 879291

here is where enlightenment leads to freedom leads to happiness . . . of a sort . . . generally . . . in a NONknife hobby sort of way . . . so I hear :
If you don't care about the lock just buy four Buck 110 LTs and mod the blades or get them modded for you and use the knife, or two, that fit your needs of the day.

The Buck 110 LT is the larger knife in this photo
~$30
perfect handle, perfect weight, really nice length, decent properly heat treated steel, strong enough (plenty), strong lock NOT A TOY.
View attachment 879293

Then reshape the blades as needed some photos of modded knives bellow: leave as is for bush craft, thin a fair amount for food prep / camping, cut shorter and move the nail nick (see bellow ) for boxes and more controlled cutting similar to the Spyderco Delica Wharencliff in the second photo. The Delica is a super knife by the way to fill the role of box knife / detail cutter., see red asterisk above).
View attachment 879292

A majorly thinned blade; the closest thing to a kwaiken that I have I really like this shape (blade and handle)
View attachment 879323

Confused ? It's all part of the fun.
I have been thinking about a ti- lite as well the over all look is nice but I do enjoy the axis lock , not a massive liner lock fan

I almost got a Benchmade Griptillian but after a ton of research I went with the Freek. The Freek comes in S30V steel. That is a step up from the 154CM on the Grip. The Grips do come in better steels but they are much more expensive.

hey guys quick question I have been looking for a new edc for years I have a few items as possible choices
-Kershaw Launch ( probably launch 5)
-Griptilian ( probably full size)
-Kwaiken ( i need suggestions for a specific model)
but i also need other suggestions , go to war in the comments i need all the help I can get also just put in others that are not on this list I bow down to others knowledge and experience my price range is maximum or 120
thanks in advance guys!!

Regarding the Kwaiken. I have two. The first one is a Boker Kwaiken, the second an Emerson Tactical Kwaiken will be arriving in a few days. I love them. I plan to purchase a Ben Tendick fixed Kwaiken in 2018.

The Boker Kwaiken is a nice little flipper and I bought it on sale from BladeOps for right at $100. The Emerson is more expensive at around $200.

About the only thing I do not like on the knives that I "have" is their blade steel. One is VG-10 and the other is 154CM. I'd prefer a better steel.

I almost got a Benchmade Griptillian but after a ton of research I went with the Freek. The Freek comes in S30V steel. That is a step up from the 154CM on the Grip. The Grips do come in better steels but they are much more expensive.
How much was your Freek?
I am seeing them around $127-130.

You can get a custom shop griptilian in M4 for $155, and 20cv for $160. I don't feel that $25-30 is "much more", especially considering the increases gained in alloy.

Oops.

Nothing to see here. Must've clicked post while on the can.

Last edited:
Back