Recommendation? new knife

Hey everyone, just asking for suggestions or your opinion. Ive been debating between a recon 1 tanto or a benchmade contego in m390. I sold my only benchmade which was a griptilian awhile ago and been wanting a new one but if I get one i want to get one i REALLY want. Im into bigger knives so the contego seems great. My current edc is constantly being switched between a manix 2, zt 0350, and zt 0630. Please give your opinion between the benchmade and cold steel. or if you have any other suggestions feel free to let me know.
looking for beefier knives, prefer 3.5-4 inches or bigger if its really good and have a decent point and under $200 (before the pm2 suggestions come in, i had one and broke it but didnt like it enough to buy a new one. maybe one day though)

Hey everyone, just asking for suggestions or your opinion. Ive been debating between a recon 1 tanto or a benchmade contego in m390. I sold my only benchmade which was a griptilian awhile ago and been wanting a new one but if I get one i want to get one i REALLY want. Im into bigger knives so the contego seems great. My current edc is constantly being switched between a manix 2, zt 0350, and zt 0630. Please give your opinion between the benchmade and cold steel. or if you have any other suggestions feel free to let me know.
looking for beefier knives, prefer 3.5-4 inches or bigger if its really good and have a decent point and under $200 (before the pm2 suggestions come in, i had one and broke it but didnt like it enough to buy a new one. maybe one day though)

Go with an Emerson - SUPER CQC-7BW

Aside from not trusting BMs QC (And feeling meh about Axis locks), the Contego would be a knife I would buy.
Not too helpful I suppose. :D

Both are beefy and strong knives but you can buy two Cold Steel Recon 1 with the money for one Benchmade Contego M390. The ergonomics of Recon 1 is among the best that I have tried; that of Contego is not even at the same level in fact I'd venture to say that the ergo of Contego is poor and the sharp gimpings make it worse (may not be a problem if you wear gloves). On the other hand, Benchmade Contego has a unique and attractive looking if that matters to you. M390 is arguably better than cts-xhp or s35vn.

Another option to consider is ZT 0909.

Edit: some pics if they are helpful.
BdhamKp.jpg

ZHoii12.jpg

MPF0UMW.jpg

Both are considered superb beefy knives. Personally I think the Contego looks more badass. Backed up with the BM customer service too.

Your ZT 630 is probably beefier than both the Contego or the Reckon.

If you're just looking for something different , I'd go with the Contego in M390.
You'll get the benefits of the axis lock without the cheap feel of the Grip that you sold.
Plus the Contego is really a great looking knife.

Your ZT 630 is probably beefier than both the Contego or the Reckon.

If you're just looking for something different , I'd go with the Contego in M390.
You'll get the benefits of the axis lock without the cheap feel of the Grip that you sold.
Plus the Contego is really a great looking knife.
i completely forgot about the benchmade warranty, that's a huge factor. i love their service

My preference in 4" bladed folders is the discontinued ZT0200. The handle of the Military is a little too long for my taste, so I rarely carry mine; but, otherwise it's a decent option. Contego vs Recon1, you ask? Contego, without hesitation.
Before I say anything else, I'll admit that I dislike Cold Steel knives...first and foremost, I find them visually unappealing - I always have (meaning since I became aware of them in the mid-80s). In fairness, I just scrolled through 6 pages of CS folders on a knife site; and I'll admit that a few models didn't look too bad...but I prefer the convenience of one hand open/one hand close on modern folders.
So, ignoring my brand bias:
I prefer the axis lock over a back lock.
I prefer the Contego blade shape over American tanto.
I prefer m390 or m4 over s35vn (though I don't dislike s35vn - it's a good option that has always met my needs).
And, lastly, yes - aesthetics - I think the Contego is a better looking knife.
Of course, those are my preferences and opinions; which mean exactly nothing when it is your money being spent on a knife for you. Buy what you like - you're the one that will be carrying/using it.

Last edited:
Aside from not trusting BMs QC (And feeling meh about Axis locks), the Contego would be a knife I would buy.
Not too helpful I suppose. :D

+1 concurrence on their QC.

However concerning the Axis lock: I've heard this suspicion before, but so far have yet to encounter an example of failure. I'm curious, do you know of any verifiable examples of the Axis system failing under standard use?

I used to own the Contego in CPM M4 and it is one solid knife. Benchmade really seems to have upped their game lately in the QC dept, so you shouldn’t be too concerned about that. I have never owned or even held the Recon 1 but it does get great reviews plus you can save a few dollars. They are both good knives that will serve you well but I give the edge to the contego.

+1 concurrence on their QC.

However concerning the Axis lock: I've heard this suspicion before, but so far have yet to encounter an example of failure. I'm curious, do you know of any verifiable examples of the Axis system failing under standard use?
I can "verify" that I've had 3+ broken omega springs. Never a lock failure though, and I haven't heard much about that either.

I like my contego and use it a fair amount in the woods. It's fairly heavy and the detent is pretty weak but that kind of works nice with the heavy blade because you can push the knife in a way that the blade will open without disengaging the axis or using the thumb stud due to the heft of the blade. Probably not ideal in some localities as it could be considered a gravity knife, I think, like in New York City.

I think the cold steel broken skull or spyderco millie would make much better EDC's than the recon or contego, however. The broken skull especially carries very well and has a nice blade design, IMO.

would you mind telling me any cons with it? to me it seems perfect but i dont want to buy it and have any surpises
None really, aside from the axis lock, which is both a pro and con depending on your love/hate relationship with it... there have always been questions surrounding the lock strength and strength/longevity of the omega springs, but if you like an axis lock, I've had zero issues thus far with my m390 contego from knifeworks... whenever I do have to break down boxes, which is more frequently now since my township decided to ban burn barrels, it is a box cutting machine.... I have yet to even touch it up aside from stropping it twice...

I believe the strength of the axis lock has been proven as quite strong, the omega springs can be a different story. Depending on how much you trust cold steel's torture test videos, they have shown the axis to be nearly as strong as the triad-lock if I remember right.

Last edited:
If this was a decision I was making I would buy the Tanto and Drop point recon 1’s for the price of the contego. I have had every recon and the contego in M4. If you squeeze down on the Contego it is a little uncomfortable. The recon is comfortable. I sanded down the g10 a little bit on my recon one and it’s awesome!! I would go Cold Steel. Their warranty is also awesome. Not that I think you could possibly break one.

i had a recon 1 before that I gave to my father, it was able to be swung open fairly easily and if the pivot was tighten too much it was hard to open. how is the contego compared to that? I've handled one before but didnt try and swing it open in the shop.

Back