New KnifeNews article about Canadian law

Even more reason to spread the word and educate people, to me anyway. I completely understand how frustrating it is when people are more fearful than logical.
Oh, I will definitely keep trying to get the word out and educate whenever possible. Unfortunately, I think this mostly falls on deaf ears in Canada. but we do need to keep at it nonetheless!

So in all honesty, how the heck are you supposed to know what the law is?
That's why people hire lawyers and why lawyers study law and why those who do have to keep up to date and keep close to those who make the law. but ultimately, you never know what a Court or a Legislature will do, and they determine what the law is, more or less. On the street, the police decide what the real law is. At the border, customs has a huge latitude and truly the Courts are reluctant to interfere with or even get involved in their day to day. So unless you chose the nuclear option of litigation or disobedience, try to figure out what the real concerns of customs and the bureaucrats are, and of any politicians or MPs or MPPs who give a damn and try to work with them on those. This is where image and common sense are important. You're not going to get sympathy for the "Bruce Lee Bali of Death" or the Instant Deploying Tactical with the Aorta Ripper Serration Option. Frankly, let them toss the cheap crap from China going to Ninja Boy Wannabe. But these folks at the border and in parliament also hunt, do woodcraft, were Boy and Girl Scouts and and can appreciate a work of art like a damsacus Henry or a custom Brian Tighe folder, which is potential illegal too if you adjust it or neglect or abuse it, all currently fair game. Why the hostility and even stupidity I don't know. But some in the knifeworld aren't helping the cause much.
This is important because when the Busse folder comes out I want one ;)

Last edited:
Here’s a newbie question.... Which Canadian knife makers should be looked at for “non-traditional” folders? If one theoretically can no longer import Spyderco, Benchmade, etc., which Canadian companies make similar products?

I have lots of American knives that I will carry and use no matter what CBSA does, but I do have warranty concerns moving forward.

Here’s a newbie question.... Which Canadian knife makers should be looked at for “non-traditional” folders? If one theoretically can no longer import Spyderco, Benchmade, etc., which Canadian companies make similar products?

I have lots of American knives that I will carry and use no matter what CBSA does, but I do have warranty concerns moving forward.
Well there's Grismo, but they can be pricey. Then there's North Arm Knives in Burnaby BC. The folks that make those have posted on here if you search.

Well there's Grismo, but they can be pricey. Then there's North Arm Knives in Burnaby BC. The folks that make those have posted on here if you search.
Thanks. I have never heard of North Arm.

A North Arm fixed will likely be my next blade. They don’t have much in folders, but I like the look of their fixed knives. And reasonable too.:thumbsup:

A North Arm fixed will likely be my next blade. They don’t have much in folders, but I like the look of their fixed knives. And reasonable too.:thumbsup:
Yeah the Bird & Trout style is very tempting. I do want a Skaha folder if some other knife companies could take like a 6 month break from new releases.

And just as a note I see a bunch of new knives that are "banned" somehow added to my local go to bricks and mortar Canadian knife store. WE, Retate, and Borus all at price points that would not be something shrugged off as oh well if the were seized. These would have seen entry over the last few weeks through the CBSA sausage machine going to a know destination knife store coming from known knife makers. They do flag stuff based on who's sending and where it's going.

And just as a note I see a bunch of new knives that are "banned" somehow added to my local go to bricks and mortar Canadian knife store. WE, Retate, and Borus all at price points that would not be something shrugged off as oh well if the were seized. These would have seen entry over the last few weeks through the CBSA sausage machine going to a know destination knife store coming from known knife makers. They do flag stuff based on who's sending and where it's going.
Interesting.
These B&M stores are on the front lines of this issue, we should all take some time to go have a chat with the owners in our areas and see what we can find out about any new rules they may have been made aware of and how they expect to be affected by all of this.

Interesting.
These B&M stores are on the front lines of this issue, we should all take some time to go have a chat with the owners in our areas and see what we can find out about any new rules they may have been made aware of and how they expect to be affected by all of this.
And as note for those not inside Canada the CBSA normally assigns an individual agent to each importer. So it's not a case of one day the agent wakes up and they're inspecting eggs. and then the next day car parts, and the third day knives. Some of those very small seizures of 3 items to an individual store may wind up in the general pool but if you're a big fish you'll be getting your stuff checked by the same person. And due to that the agent should have a very good idea of what is good to cross.

And as note for those not inside Canada the CBSA normally assigns an individual agent to each importer. So it's not a case of one day the agent wakes up and they're inspecting eggs. and then the next day car parts, and the third day knives. Some of those very small seizures of 3 items to an individual store may wind up in the general pool but if you're a big fish you'll be getting your stuff checked by the same person. And due to that the agent should have a very good idea of what is good to cross.
Agreed.

And if your business gets caught once, you are pooched moving forward. Once flagged, you are checked almost every time. No different than a person getting caught with a trunk load of booze driving across the border in a car.

Agreed.

And if your business gets caught once, you are pooched moving forward. Once flagged, you are checked almost every time. No different than a person getting caught with a trunk load of booze driving across the border in a car.
I think the flag is up for a year or five. Can't remember but it's not what you want for sure if you cross the border for work on ship stuff back and forth.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I spoke to the big Toronto area dealer today and it seems that they are still a bit unsure how this will play out. I think they are hoping tightened pivots and avoiding flippers is the only real chance of them getting knives in moving forward. I always have a “hope is not a strategy” mindset, but I “hope” they are right.

They also mentioned that they are getting TONS of calls and emails from Canadian knife nuts about this gong show.....

Hey everyone! As the title says, KnifeNews just put out an article regarding the situation with Canadian customs prohibiting essentially any knife that opens with one hand.

I have been vocal in the past few days about this issue and have mentioned more than once for fellow Canadians to email and call their MPs about it. Nothing will happen of we don't make or displeasure known.

http://knifenews.com/canada-border-services-agency-seizing-one-handed-opening-pocket-knives/

I recommend looking at the link to the appeal in question as well.

Get the word out!

Sad thing is each of us contacting our MP will have the same result it always does, absolutely nothing.

The only way anything will possibly be done is if Canadian knife enthusiasts, makers, sellers and anyone else involved band together and form a group that mirrors the American knife rights group.

That way we would be able to pressure the government based on the argument, “do as we say and we will all vote for you, if you do not we will all vote against you.”

We need to put together a kickstarter to raise money for lawyers likely too.

Fixed blades are not subject to the ban. You can get any fixed blade you want shipped over here.

I understand that not everyone live in the countryside and do farm work but when it's frickin -25 and when you have to open hay bales or grain bags, you don't feel like removing your gloves to open your knife... you're already bulky enough and carrying a fixed blade is not really comfy.
Guess His Honor is not exposed to the real life of us Canucks living past the lakes. We're not that many too, so who cares about our vote eh?

Back