New KnifeNews article about Canadian law

We have some ruffles potatoe chips here in the states that claim to be Canadian, there "all dressed" flavor, can any canuckians confirm this?

Canada has some of the best custom knifemakers on the planet and their work can be quite affordable.
Many are members of of the CKG and many of them are members here or can be found with a little goooglefu. You can completely avoid the nonsense at the border and you'll get a knife properly adjusted to be legal with pretty much whatever reasonable features you want. You still have to be very careful with any LEO but that goes for anything they could construe as being a weapon, including a tactical fork and a pointy stick.

We have some ruffles potatoe chips here in the states that claim to be Canadian, there "all dressed" flavor, can any canuckians confirm this?
Those aren't for export. You'll have to give them back or face the full force of the law.

For those in Canada that want to see hand made and or custom knives in person a gun show is a good place to check. The one in Kamloops BC in the spring usually has some great stuff and some of the makers will start a thread in here so you can see what they're bringing out.

Canada has some of the best custom knifemakers on the planet and their work can be quite affordable.
Many are members of of the CKG and many of them are members here or can be found with a little goooglefu. You can completely avoid the nonsense at the border and you'll get a knife properly adjusted to be legal with pretty much whatever reasonable features you want. You still have to be very careful with any LEO but that goes for anything they could construe as being a weapon, including a tactical fork and a pointy stick.
Didn't the CKG implode a few years ago? I use to hit he show in Toronto every spring, but they don't seem to have it anymore. (Or a website for that matter).:(

You guys don’t have all dressed chips? I knew you didn’t have ketchup chips but all dressed?

I think they are gross anyway.

You guys don’t have all dressed chips? I knew you didn’t have ketchup chips but all dressed?

I think they are gross anyway.
I just started seeing all dressed chips a few months ago, I haven't seen ketchup chips since being overseas, I love ketchup chips!

How does this law impact people outside of Canada getting warranty service on Canadian knives?

For instance, if someone in the US ships a Norseman back to Grimsmo for service, will it be seized at the border? Will they have exceptions for Canadian companies servicing product they’ve sold internationally?

How does this law impact people outside of Canada getting warranty service on Canadian knives?

For instance, if someone in the US ships a Norseman back to Grimsmo for service, will it be seized at the border? Will they have exceptions for Canadian companies servicing product they’ve sold internationally?

You’ll have to talk to grismo but I imagine it is going to be an issue. Alternatively maybe you could ship the knife without the blade?

That’s what it looks like I will have to start doing. Getting my friend in New York to buy the knife, take the blade out, ship the handle in a package and the blade in an envelope.

Bloody rediculous.

That’s what it looks like I will have to start doing. Getting my friend in New York to buy the knife, take the blade out, ship the handle in a package and the blade in an envelope.
at the height of the lunacy here this is the type of thing people tried. Yes certainly some got away with it, some had 1/2 the knife seized as ABF also targeted parts of prohibited imports or, more commonly, they allowed both component parts to be delivered and then executed a search warrant on the premises and charged the recipient with importing a prohibited article. They used the lengths that the person went to (disassembly and separate shipping) as evidence intent and to help establish mens rea for the offence. They also seized EVERY other knife present for testing and then the onus was on the individual to prove when/how it was imported (if it failed the stupid test).

Think carefully about both what you do and of course what you say on a public forum about the same...

at the height of the lunacy here this is the type of thing people tried. Yes certainly some got away with it, some had 1/2 the knife seized as ABF also targeted parts of prohibited imports or, more commonly, they allowed both component parts to be delivered and then executed a search warrant on the premises and charged the recipient with importing a prohibited article. They used the lengths that the person went to (disassembly and separate shipping) as evidence intent and to help establish mens rea for the offence. They also seized EVERY other knife present for testing and then the onus was on the individual to prove when/how it was imported (if it failed the stupid test).

Think carefully about both what you do and of course what you say on a public forum about the same...

So far they aren’t treating it like that here. They’re not kicking down doors over someone importing an auto or a bali in pieces, atleast I never heard of it. It seems like so far posession of these knives is not illegal but rather this has to do with policy of the customs officers. El

It’s not much different than tightening down the pivot, which for a long time was enough to get most knives through. It is just going the extra step of taking the blade out.

I am not however encouraging any of my Canadian brothers to break the law. What we need is a Canadian group like the American Kniferights.

Exactly the same here, it didn't start like that and POSSESSION was not (and never was) illegal either, however bringing a boarder controlled item in was, Customs can obtain and execute warrant (here and I would presume Canada) for a breach of the regulation relating to a boarder controlled item, deliberately disassembling and parallel shipping gave weight to the organised aspect of the practice and supported the applications for the warrants. No one was charged with possession of the knife (in my and most states none of the blades that failed the Customs flick tests were prohibited) however many were for the importation.

It IS very different to tightening a pivot.

All I can say is that it's not a hopeless fight. Keep the pressure on, explain why this is a bad idea. Keep in mind that with the new decision with regards to knives here in Australia we also got much better and clearer language as far as what constituted "lawful excuse", this actually opened up a few things that were in the "probably ok" section, but now its written down. Canadian law contains a lot of old cruft, and the only way to get rid of it is to keep pressure on parliament to re-evaluate this stuff and simplify it. Also given how fast and loose CBSA played with civil rights when they were mass scanning wifi at the international airports, I would not risk anything in regards to pulling an end-run around them. Enjoy your travel rights? They play outside the normal rules, so I'd be staying squeaky clean when it comes to this, especially anyone who is a member here.

Basically, what it boils down to is that buying knives with flippers as an individual from out of country is now not a great idea.
We'll just have to pay full price from the dealers in Canada.

Less deals for Canadians is what it boils down to...and maybe carry a slip-joint when crossing the idiotic Border.

In that case I'll carry my trusty heavy duty Black Fox Nidhug Slipjoint when crossing the border. ;)

In that case I'll carry my trusty heavy duty Black Fox Nidhug Slipjoint when crossing the border. ;)

Hell yeah!
Good luck flicking that thing. :D

My Nidhug with orange scales will likely be what I carry next time I have to cross into the USA.
Sturdy, has lots of blade to get things done, but the Border folks can't say much about it. :thumbsup:

Back