new knives lacking serrations, changing market place: or am I a dinosaur?

Sorry, but I'm pretty sure I am a Dino and I have never liked combo. It completely disrupts the lines of the blade shape. Logically what's the point of a 4" blade that's really a 2" PE and a 2" SE? For me it's one or the other. Especially my EDC. When I need a serrated blade I always have my Leatherman. I do carry a full serrated on a boat or 4x4in'.

Sorry, but I'm pretty sure I am a Dino and I have never liked combo. It completely disrupts the lines of the blade shape. Logically what's the point of a 4" blade that's really a 2" PE and a 2" SE? For me it's one or the other. Especially my EDC. When I need a serrated blade I always have my Leatherman. I do carry a full serrated on a boat or 4x4in'.

Umm, the point is having 2" of pe and 2" of se in the same knife. They work great as actual users. I understand that some folks don't like them; I just wish they would tell the truth and just say they don't like the looks.

Sorry leatherman, I'm not trying to single you out I just responded to yours as it was the most recent.

Umm, the point is having 2" of pe and 2" of se in the same knife. They work great as actual users. I understand that some folks don't like them; I just wish they would tell the truth and just say they don't like the looks.

Sorry leatherman, I'm not trying to single you out I just responded to yours as it was the most recent.
For me, it's a case of believing plain edged blades can handle any task while serrations may have a slight advantage for certain tasks but are worse than useless for others. For example, if you open a plastic bag of frozen vegetables with a serrated blade and you're almost guaranteed to wind up eating little bits of plastic.

For me, it's a case of believing plain edged blades can handle any task while serrations may have a slight advantage for certain tasks but are worse than useless for others. For example, if you open a plastic bag of frozen vegetables with a serrated blade and you're almost guaranteed to wind up eating little bits of plastic.

I understand, and you have certainly spent enough of your life handling knives to know what works for you. My reality is that I run across certain tasks that a pe just won't perform but a se will, so having a se seems a lot more important to me than it would to you. I believe both our philosophies are correct, they are just based on different usage. No, I think what makes me roll my eyes is when I hear the occasional guy giving the canned answer for why se or ce blades aren't "any good" and I can see immediately he is just regurgitating someone else's opinion. (I am NOT talking about anyone in this thread btw) I guess that's none of my business either, it just bothers me. Mainly because I believe we should give things a go before we form opinions. I believe our opinions about the tools we use should be formed based on how they perform for us, not how they look like they will perform. So, I'm sure that some of you have given se and ce knives a real go and don't find them a bit useful but if you haven't given them a fair shake then carry and use one awhile before you make your mind up.

Here's one of my all time favorite quotes... :)

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information,
which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail
to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is
contempt prior to investigation
."

Last edited:
Umm, the point is having 2" of pe and 2" of se in the same knife. They work great as actual users.
About 20 years ago I was shooting the wind at a ranch when an improperly tied horse totally freaked out.He was going bonkers and the rope didn't give.A combo edge knife made a fast cut on the lead rope and everyone lived happily there after.:love_heart:

I've heard some people on forums say that serrations are for people who don't know anything about knives and are either too lazy to resharpen a knife, or don't know how. Then some of the very same people who make such statements say they themselves can't resharpen serrations! My main EDC is a SE knife, and although I'm not a 'master sharpener', I have no problem resharpening either my PE or SE knives.

Back in the '90s, I was somewhat anti-serrations until I actually tried some, my first on a CE Endura 2. For me, not all serration patterns are equal, and not all serrated knives with the same pattern are equal. But to each his/her own. Probably around 90% of my daily cutting uses are accomplished with my SE Pacific Salt. I'm not whittling or carving with it. But in general, my personal preference is either a full PE or a full SE.

Jim

Back