New Koyote

Having handled all of the knives there, Christof's blade certainly was the lightest knife, aside from the Fiddleback's hunter. ... For myself, this is a rather important issue. I keep stating over and over again in my chopping tests, that the SOD and RD-9 outchop my big koyote leuku but only marginally. I don't even consider toting around those heavy knives though. The leuku often finds a place nestled in my pack ;)

Really liked your comments Ken. And I agree about the weight. The weight thing is what keeps enchanting me this knife. I'm jealous you got to handle the other knives. But most big knives I don't like to carry because of weight. This one won't be a problem.

Oh, I did sand the jimping and inner radius a bit with some 400 grit paper...just to soften them a bit.

And if I get the chance, I'll do some more batonning and chopping with bigger dry wood.

I see your tomato and think, it could be thinner still :D

DSC_0052-7.jpg

Can't top that potato though - good show!

If I didn't already have a couple other knives ordered from Christof, I'd be all over that Mills. I drool every time you post a pic of that.

(My wife has started to yell at me for my knife habit. Christof should probably stay out of Wyoming territory for a few months or so. :eek:)

Wow, Rotte. You really like your kitchen work!

I think KGD has a good point with rounding the edge a hair- just a bare touch should do it.

I did notice that I made the handle front on this one a hair, just a hair, shorter than on the contest blade. All little things.

I think KGD has a good point with rounding the edge a hair- just a bare touch should do it.

I did. Just a gentle brushing with 400grit. But I really don't have an issue with the finger-side edge of the drop point.

I think if you dropped the handle down, like on the Mills pattern or Rick's knife, the reverse grip would become easier to use. But....and this is important I think...you would lose some of the clearance for your hand and fingers. The drop edge with the slightly up swept handle give great clearance when cutting against a stump, log, or cutting board. This translates into big time utility in the camp in my opinion (yes, I like my kitchen work :).)

OK, so I pulled the edge up a bit, i.e. started the scandi-vex edge a bit higher. I'm not sure there was a need to do this, I mostly did it for fun and learning. I'll use it for a bit to see how much this changes things. After grinding and stropping it just wipes hair away. This 15N20 is nice to work with.

Previous edge:

699605618_uDGuc-L-2.jpg

Pics of new edge:

699577978_UuVce-L.jpg

This is a bit clearer:

699579534_qAM6v-L.jpg

Clouds in the sky:

699580057_ELszM-L.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice. Don't do anything to mess with the kitchen-esche look and feel. I like how the rear edge sweeps away from the handle. And I don't use the reverse grip so no biggie.

So I was out in the hills today for a little walk, and the Alaskan came along.

707236191_JjMfw-L.jpg

I hiked up to a beaver pond and thought I'd compare the Alaskan to a set of Beaver teeth. I was up here last year
and knew there would be some nice fallen and dried pine trees. The pond has flooded this area and killed off the trees.

707230241_EvLe7-XL.jpg

The target (maybe 2.5" diameter):

707232914_zNhJL-L.jpg

The results:

707234148_AzNt4-L.jpg

This is not a chopper. It bites deep and it didn't take me more than a minute to cut through this tree--maybe 30 seconds--but the light weight that I love in so many other ways limits the chopping power.

On the plus side, despite my wailing away at this limb, the edge held up very well--still shaved hair off my arm afterward. Notice too how clean the cuts are.

707234856_XiKzj-L.jpg

Parting shot of the country:

707236726_r6ojW-XL.jpg

Great day to be out with a Koyote. Thanks Christof!

That is a fantastic design. I now know which Koyote will be my first.
Does anyone know a good sheath maker?:rolleyes::D

Rotte- do you use a strop bat? I'm getting ashamed of my edge polish and am going to have to ramp up. 800 grit and a light stropping isn't going to cut it after looking at your stropping.

Rotte- do you use a strop bat?

I do strop with two different stropping compounds: a blue diamond paste on a soft leather strop and a 'green' stropping compound on a hard leather 'bat'. I've had both for a while and can't remember exactly what they are, but they work.

When I did the edge on this knife, I started with 150 grit and worked my way down. I finished it with 2000 grit automotive sandpaper and then stropped it a bit. 2000 grit is a little extreme, but the edge sure does look purdy. Sharp too! :eek:

I've got the green chrome. it does a good job. I'm just thinking about a JRE bat.

I just looked at the JRE site. That 4-sided stropping bat looks very nice. For me, stropping is the key to getting a hair-popping edge. I can work up a decent burr with a stone or sandpaper, but to really finish an edge, a strop can't be beat. I first learned to use a strop when sharpening wood chisels. I know some guys like a 'toothy' edge, but I find a stropped edge lasts longer and cuts extremely well. Just me.

Looks great! I love the knife. Christof, I will be sending you something asap! (you know what it is...)

Real Nice Knife Rotte, I really like the Alaskan Camp Knife design, Thank's for showing all the picture's of your Koyote Alaskan !

Great Knife design Christof, "Look's like an Excellent Camp Knife" I have vision's of one with a 10" Blade In my Koyote Collection, I like the Thin Blade and the Blade Shape/Profile Is a Winner ! Your making some Very Nice Knive's Christof and your really coming up with some Real Nice Blade Design's "Keep Up The Great Work Koyote" !

I gotta tell you, two minutes on the ceramics after a decent beating and my Bush Beater is hair popping sharp. That blade is honestly as sharp as I'd ever want a big blade to be... It's really too bad that there is no objective measure of sharpness that we can all refer too.

I'm pretty sure that I am going to need one of those Alaskans down the road (and a shrike, and a Slim Finn, etc....)

Snake Dr-

for the 10 inch thinner blade, I really like the leukuchete design- or the sierra machete.

here's a recent WIP set of photos of one I've been finishing up:

2009-11-06-0001.jpeg

2009-11-06-0002.jpeg

2009-11-06-0003.jpeg

Needham: awesome! It's a fun profile to mess with.

Fine Looking Leuku Bush Knife Christof, And I agree "Big Time" I really like your Thin Bladed Scandi Grind's ! Is this one an Order ? Or Is It up for Grab's ? You did a Beautiful Job on this one, Thank's for posting the picture's, Woo-Wee "That Knife has my Name On It ! If I get enough Coon's tonight out Hunting I might just make enough to Buy It, Plus I got a New Part Time Job working for a Fur Buyer "In the Fur Shed Finishing Fur's" So I fianally got a chance for some added Income, And I've been wanting one of your Big Leuku's since I seen the one you made KGD, Let me know on this one ? Thank's !

Kenny

Back