New Large Recurve Camp Knife

Bill Siegle

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
This has been a fun project! Started off wanting something larger sized and sorta primal feeling. I thought I nailed it first time out with this:

After a few days of handling it, I decided I did not love it in the heavyweight form. Back out to the shop for some slow cool grinding!!!! Now it is finished to this:

Overall it is 15 7/8in with a 10 1/2in blade. It used to weigh in at 26oz and is now 22oz. Still has some heft to it but it feels so much better now :) The scales are green/black G10 and the blade is my usual 5160 with a nice temper line.

Bill, that looks like an absolute beast!
Looks like it could get some serious work done.
Nice job on that one!

I like the barest hint of a shadow at the old grind line.
good looking knife - I bet it chops like a beast and has a pretty decent return.

Thanks guys! Just loving this design! To me it's simple yet complex. Nothing super fancy in its construction but it represents some forward thinking in my own design and finishing. I have been trying to step up my game lately and I think this knife shows that :) I haven't done much cutting with this one but a swipe at a limb on the old apple tree was quite satisfying :D Very fast in the hand and just a hint of a "snick" when it passed through the limb!

,trying to control myself. That is gorgeous design. So much cleaner after the additional grinding.

And with one little idea, a whole new knife :) Loving this design and wanted to take it a bit further so I added a fuller to the design!!!! This one comes in at 22oz and is the same size as the other. From the spine, the fuller and false edge come together to make a very dramatic set of lines :) I used the work rest to keep the fuller in a straight line but everything else is ground free hand :D

Back