New Leatherman Tools for 2011

These debuted at SHOT today. If you're a fan of leatherman on facebook, this is what they've posted. I don't know if there are any more, but these are the two they showed. They look pretty nice. I might buy the sidekick.

They are cheap too!

Wingman: $29.99
Sidekick: $39.99

Leatherman Sidekick
179093_178081835564326_122239001148610_348554_4125820_n.jpg

Specs:
Stainless Steel Body
Spring-action Needlenose Pliers
Spring-action Regular Pliers
Wire Cutters
420HC Combo Knife
420HC Serrated Knife
Saw
Wood/Metal File
Ruler (1 in | 2.54 cm)
Small Screwdriver
Medium Screwdriver
Phillips Screwdriver
Bottle Opener
Can Opener
Wire Stripper
Carabiner Bottle Opener
Removable Pocket Clip
Lanyard Ring
Closed Length: 3.8 in | 9.7 cm
Blade Length: 2.6 in | 6.6 cm*
Weight: 7.0 oz | 198.4 g

Leatherman Wingman
164714_178081955564314_122239001148610_348555_1105724_n.jpg

Specs:
Stainless Steel Body
Spring-action Needlenose Pliers
Spring-action Regular Pliers
Wire Cutters
420HC Combo Knife
Package Opener
Wood/Metal File
Scissors
Small Screwdriver
Medium Screwdriver
Phillips Screwdriver
Ruler (1 in | 2.54 cm)
Bottle Opener
Can Opener
Wire Stripper
Removable Pocket Clip
Closed Length: 3.8 in | 9.7 cm
Blade Length: 2.6 in | 6.6 cm*
Weight: 7.0 oz | 198.4 g

i was excited, until i saw they were combo blades..but maybe they'll make a PE version in 154cm like they did with the Freestyle.now that would be sweet.

and everyone should stay up on leatherman's FB, they do give aways all the time.

I really like that idea of blades being accessible without butterflying the tool! - I've really gotten more use out of my skeletool that I thought I would! These new offerings look interesting! I'm still thinking I need to own a "Style".
peace
Revvie

I saw this too, I'm not really a big fan of either of these... I think there a step backwards.

i was excited, until i saw they were combo blades..but maybe they'll make a PE version in 154cm like they did with the Freestyle.now that would be sweet.

and everyone should stay up on leatherman's FB, they do give aways all the time.

What is an FB, please? :confused:

They're intended to be entry level.

After about a year of consumer, “channel” (the retailers and what they want) research, materials and manufacturing research and testing, these two models are a very strong answer to what we found people were looking for. Many of you are seasoned multi-tool owners. The Sidekick and Wingman are definitely geared more for the first-time buyer. Someone who may not be familiar with how helpful a multi-tool can be, but isn’t sure they want to invest just yet in a Wave, or Skeletool, or maybe a Super Tool looks like a little more than they’ll need.
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=122239001148610&topic=357

I think they look nice and I can only hope that the bottle opener actually opens a bottle. I can't figure out why it's so hard to get this right.

They'd be decent tools for anyone getting into MT's, especially at the price point. I was just hoping they'd release a variant of the mut with different tools or something of that nature.

I think these are out there to compete with gerber at that price point.

Love the high polish. I'll have to see some more pics to decide if it's something that i'd use though. they look a little on the small side, maybe a replacement for a juice.

These look pretty good to me. Nicely priced, compact, pocket clips, polished (yes!).

Criticism? I think the serrated blade/package opener are somewhat redundant and that spot would have been better utilized as an awl or different size screwdriver. But that's about it. Leatherman does fantastic 420HC blades. And the best thing they can do for their tools is jettison that stupid bead blast finish.

I don't think I'll be jumping on either any time soon (other MT's that fit my needs better already exist) but I'm liking these. Many people balk at the price of quality MT's and these should help pull them on board. I just don't understand why the Sidekick has a CE blade if there is a separate SE one provided.

I approve. Even at MSRP, they look like great introductory multitools. What could we expect for street price?

How does the weight of these compare to a Vic Spirit? I tried to look it up, but it seems measurements vary significantly from NA Victorinox's claimed 5 3/4 oz. And the figure quoted on the Euro Victorinox converted from grams to ounces is closer to 8.7.

I don't think one of these will replace my beloved Vic Spirit, but that's not the point. I would bite if I saw one cheap, which is likely.

Last edited:
The screw construction could also possibly allow for some degree of customization.

Back