New Leatherman Tools for 2011

Leatherman has officially released both sidekick and wingman on their site. I dont know if their available for purchase yet but I cant wait.

Leatherman has officially released both sidekick and wingman on their site. I dont know if their available for purchase yet but I cant wait.

I have a Wave that I'm quite happy with, so no need to buy a Sidekick. But I'm wondering if we'll be able to buy the Carabiner Bottle Opener Accessory that comes with it as a separate accessory at some point. That would make a righteous keychain!

CarabinerBottleOpener.jpg

Also I have just seen on leatherman's facebook pictures that sometime in 2012 they will be releasing what will be called the Rebar, basically a scaled down ST300. nearly same tool set and beefy design with the replaceable cutters.

I reviewed the Sidekick on my blog, and have to say, it's quite nice. Actually, it's better than I had anticipated. There are a few minor shortcomings. Most notably, I found the the knife blade to be a little difficult to deploy one-handed. Maybe I just need to get used to the geometry, who knows.

There are a few retailer links on the tools' product pages, and I'm told that they might have the tools in stock as early as next week. If you don't mind waiting, you can preorder via Amazon.

I have a Wave that I'm quite happy with, so no need to buy a Sidekick. But I'm wondering if we'll be able to buy the Carabiner Bottle Opener Accessory that comes with it as a separate accessory at some point. That would make a righteous keychain!
The carabiner is pretty sweet, and I would definitely order a few if they were priced at ~$4. they are a bit on the small side, though.

They NEED to release the carabiner as a stand-alone. Then hang a little pouch off of it with a couple screwdriver bits in it.

They NEED to release the carabiner as a stand-alone. Then hang a little pouch off of it with a couple screwdriver bits in it.
Just checked, the leather pouch that comes with the Sidekick fits 2 of LM's but cartridges quite comfortably.

I can't find my bit extender at the moment to check to see if it can fit in there as well, but I think it'll be a very tight fit at best.

Also I have just seen on leatherman's facebook pictures that sometime in 2012 they will be releasing what will be called the Rebar, basically a scaled down ST300. nearly same tool set and beefy design with the replaceable cutters.

Hmmm, that sounds interesting.

edit* after some digging, I found some pics of the new Rebar :) Looks like an EDC version of the ST300, aka, pure sexy ;)

from ryan1835 at multitool.org

308612_252246681481174_122239001148610_676607_2024196608_n.jpg

294803_252246708147838_122239001148610_676608_1036680200_n.jpg

311066_252246834814492_122239001148610_676610_1937830821_n.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics. But I found this thread disappointing. I want a better Charge TTI. It's already so much better than the Wave, but imagine a new Charge TTI that blows away the current model. That's what I want. Leatherman needs to bring it.

Thanks for the pics. But I found this thread disappointing. I want a better Charge TTI. It's already so much better than the Wave, but imagine a new Charge TTI that blows away the current model. That's what I want. Leatherman needs to bring it.

I agree its excellent. Maybe thats the problem. LM may be having trouble figureing a way to make it better.
What would you do to improve it?

I agree its excellent. Maybe thats the problem. LM may be having trouble figureing a way to make it better.
What would you do to improve it?

Maybe Leatherman can't figure out how to make the Charge Tti better, but I can. It needs an awl. What's so hard about that?

AUGH, now why can't they just throw in a dual-sided file and a serrated blade. I HATE the new Wave and its insert screwdrivers.

Back