New life into an old Buck 110

I had this broken 2 dot Buck 110 that I had kicking around. Someone had taken a grinder to the blade at some point in its life. I ground the tip into a sheepsfoot, thinned the edge out and sharpened it up. I like the short blade in the longer handle and am going to stick it down on my boat. The blade is 440 C.

Sorry for the crappy webcam pic, I'll try to take better ones later. Enjoy.

I had this broken 2 dot Buck 110 that I had kicking around. Someone had taken a grinder to the blade at some point in its life. I ground the tip into a sheepsfoot, thinned the edge out and sharpened it up. I like the short blade in the longer handle and am going to stick it down on my boat. The blade is 440 C.

Sorry for the crappy webcam pic, I'll try to take better ones later. Enjoy.

I'm just learning how to sharpen (with a Spyderco Triangle). What do you use to grind the blade? I'm not much of a tool guy, so the fewer the tools, the less likely I am to mess up.

I'm just learning how to sharpen (with a Spyderco Triangle). What do you use to grind the blade? I'm not much of a tool guy, so the fewer the tools, the less likely I am to mess up.

I ground it down with a Dremel to get the sheepsfoot, and used a power sander with 60 grit paper to thin the edge out, then 80 grit sandpaper to set the edge bevel and finished it on a Sharpmaker at 30 degrees

it is by no means a pretty knife. There is a tiny bit of up and down play and a little side to side play but it still locks up pretty solidly. It looks like at some point someone either replaced the pivot pin or peened it with some type of punch or nail. It takes a nice edge though and is hair shaving sharp. I'll put it through some paces and report back whether the grinder ruined the edge and try and get some better pics up.

Back