New member, but I'm about as authentic as they come ...so check this one out

Authentic or ?

• Authentic

• Reproduction

Results are only viewable after voting.
No, not ore, that would involve transporting too much useless rock vast distances, which would as you say involve heavy logistics, what was discovered was "Sheepskin" shaped finished Ingots made from copper that could be tied by trace elements to a specific pit mine in Michigan. Roasting copper ore
and making copper ingots isn't exactly Rocket science! but even with modern economical transporting ore across oceans isn't usually practical, except in the case (sometimes) with aluminum ore, because the thing there is the energy required (Ever wonder why Alcoa Built their big plant near Niagara Falls?). Iron ore is usually transported for the same reason, because it is often easier to move the ore to the coal, (this is why there are steel mills in Allentown and Pittsburg, The mills are there because they had rivers for transport and the required Metalurgical coal was mined nearby)

It used to be that Anthropologists regarded Oceans as barriers, while ancient people saw them as efficient highways! And the Atlantic is easy to cross if you understand wind and current patterns better than Christopher Columbus did...

You might also find that Okinawan people, traveling like or with Polynesian seafarers "colonized" the western shores of south America Circa 10,000 years ago... this one might appear in a web search!

Last edited:
So... sources that provide some evidence that old world vessels in the Mediterranean were carrying Michigan ingots then? The sheer ancient logistics involved to make that happen would be mind boggling... I've got to tell you that the more vague suppositions that I read here and generalities the less convinced I am that there's anything other than vague suppositions and generalities. Would have could have should have isn't evidence of anything.

No, not ore, that would involve transporting too much useless rock vast distances, which would as you say involve heavy logistics, what was discovered was "Sheepskin" shaped finished Ingots made from copper that could be tied by trace elements to a specific pit mine in Michigan. Roasting copper ore
and making copper ingots isn't exactly Rocket science! but even with modern economical transporting ore across oceans isn't usually practical, except in the case (sometimes) with aluminum ore, because the thing there is the energy required (Ever wonder why Alcoa Built their big plant near Niagara Falls?). Iron ore is usually transported for the same reason, because it is often easier to move the ore to the coal, (this is why there are steel mills in Allentown and Pittsburg, The mills are there because they had rivers for transport and the required Metalurgical coal was mined nearby)

It used to be that Anthropologists regarded Oceans as barriers, while ancient people saw them as efficient highways! And the Atlantic is easy to cross if you understand wind and current patterns better than Christopher Columbus did...

You might also find that Okinawan people, traveling like or with Polynesian seafarers "colonized" the western shores of south America Circa 10,000 years ago... this one might appear in a web search!

Basques were trading with Penobscots when Columbus was still crapping his drawers!

M. EGANOVIC is REGISTERED BUSINESS company incorporated in Kingdom of the Netherlands with identification number of 01171127. M. EGANOVIC detailed status is Active. Registration address: Groningen, Netherlands.

ArchaeoLogo_01c.png

7/11/2014 09:00:00 PM

How can the age of archeological objects be determined if the well-established carbon dating method does not apply, for example for metal objects? Spanish and Portuguese scientists have now introduced a technique for dating artifacts made of copper and bronze. Presented in the journal Angewandte Chemie, their electroanalytical method is based on the voltammetry of microparticles. It compares various corrosion products that form over long periods of time and works with only a few nanograms of material so it causes almost no damage
Read more at https://archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.com/2014/07/new-method-for-dating-copper-and-bronze.

Voltammetric experiments produce current–voltage curves that have characteristic shapes for many compounds. In order to date copper-containing, archaeological finds, a team led by Antonio Doménech-Carbó at the University of Valencia examined the ratios of two different copper oxides, tenorite and cuprite, that can be differentiated and quantified based on their voltammetric curves.
Read more at https://archaeologynewsnetwork.blog...ng-copper-and-bronze.html#RbKWfuAp0BYMSWHm.99

When they are exposed to air, copper surfaces become covered by a natural layer of cuprite (Cu2O). Over time, this layer is slowly converted to other products of corrosion. As copper-containing objects age in a slightly corrosive environment, without contact with soils or sea air, a layer of tenorite (CuO) continuously forms over the primary cuprite patina. This occurs because cuprite reacts with oxygen from the air to preferentially form tenorite in an atmosphere containing CO2 or in the presence of calcareous materials. Examination of copper coins by scanning electron microscopy coupled with X-ray spectroscopy confirmed the presence of cuprite and tenorite.

To carry out the electroanalytical experiments, the researchers impregnate a graphite bar electrode with paraffin and dab the surface of the artifact with it. A few nanograms of the sample surface stick to the electrode, which is then dipped into an aqueous electrolyte. This causes almost no damage to the object. Copper oxide microparticles result in very characteristic peaks in the resulting current–voltage curves.

Of particular interest to the researchers is the ratio of the current peaks for tenorite and cuprite. It shows a steady increase with increasing corrosion time, as demonstrated with a series of antique coins from various collections, including the Prehistory Museums of València and Xàtiva (Spain), as well as the artificial ageing of Euro cent coins made of copper. The researchers were able to use the coins to establish a calibration curve that can be used to date objects of unknown age.

The voltammetric dating of a water pitcher from the Caliphal period and a Montefortino helmet from the Roman age gave ages of 1050±80 and 2150±150 years, respectively, which agree well with dates previously established from the archaeological context.

Source: Angewandte Chemie [July 11, 2014]
Read more at https://archaeologynewsnetwork.blog...ng-copper-and-bronze.html#RbKWfuAp0BYMSWHm.99

If I were going to spend thousands on authenticating, I'd just buy a ticket to Vegas and try and pawn it at the Pawn Stars shop. They always seem to bring in experts within about the 3 minutes between commercials.
Seriously though, bring it to a pawn shop or two and see what they say.

If I were going to spend thousands on authenticating, I'd just buy a ticket to Vegas and try and pawn it at the Pawn Stars shop. They always seem to bring in experts within about the 3 minutes between commercials.
Seriously though, bring it to a pawn shop or two and see what they say.
If you're going to take it to Vegas, Pawn Stars is the place. :cool:

Back