1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

New mill coming. I wanna try a folder

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Bryant Hollinger, May 16, 2019.

1. Bryant Hollinger

Bryant Hollinger

Jan 1, 2009
    so I’m getting a pm-25 milling machine in a few days. Pretty excited about that! After I learn to use it I plan on making guards for my fixed blades and also I wanna make some jigs to help with various knife making processes ect.

I am also thinking about folders. Either frame lock or linerlock. Which one would be better for a beginner? Any good books or links that would help? I know the Bob Terzuola book is a standard bu it’s out of print and expensive right?

Thanks

2. Stang Bladeworks

Stang Bladeworks KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 19, 2018
    Ekim knives has a great series on framelocks. Check out his YouTube. Gavko also has a dvd thats pretty good.

3. Kevin McGovern

Kevin McGovern KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 31, 2015
    I chose a frame lock as my first locking knife. While I don't yet have a mill, it would have been much easier with one. Ekim is a good source for some things. Pay special attention to lockface geometry and pivot, stop pin, lock position.

4. butcher_block

butcher_block KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 6, 2004
    i have the bob T book and its a great folder build read and i even get it out to double check. liner is easier to cut the lock bar but sucks for having to drill and tap so many holes (use HSS taps from a good maker so that they cut well and when you do brake one off you can FeCl etch them out of the Ti liners)

5. 12345678910

Jul 13, 2009
    It's still under $150
    Still worth it.
    How much material could you screw up ?

You can find a PDF online, but the real book is clearer than the scan

6. Busto

Busto KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 26, 2011
    You purchased a Mill and want to build Folders...Buy The Book it's worth the money you will be happy in the Long Run.