New mill coming. I wanna try a folder

so I’m getting a pm-25 milling machine in a few days. Pretty excited about that! After I learn to use it I plan on making guards for my fixed blades and also I wanna make some jigs to help with various knife making processes ect.

I am also thinking about folders. Either frame lock or linerlock. Which one would be better for a beginner? Any good books or links that would help? I know the Bob Terzuola book is a standard bu it’s out of print and expensive right?

Thanks

I chose a frame lock as my first locking knife. While I don't yet have a mill, it would have been much easier with one. Ekim is a good source for some things. Pay special attention to lockface geometry and pivot, stop pin, lock position.

i have the bob T book and its a great folder build read and i even get it out to double check. liner is easier to cut the lock bar but sucks for having to drill and tap so many holes (use HSS taps from a good maker so that they cut well and when you do brake one off you can FeCl etch them out of the Ti liners)

It's still under $150
Still worth it.
How much material could you screw up ?

You can find a PDF online, but the real book is clearer than the scan

You purchased a Mill and want to build Folders...Buy The Book it's worth the money you will be happy in the Long Run.

Back