New Office EDC

Another Chaparral vote over here! Pocket perfection.

34426928181_adc22632c2_h.jpg

UMSoDAN.jpg

For me, "office carry" suggests a traditional - gentlemanly, unobtrusive, and likely to be considered benign by the office staff (and, more importantly, by the HR representative you could end up facing). Especially a sheepsfoot blade, because, well, the less "stabby" looking, the better.
bmjBZjn.jpg

However, if your tastes are modern, go with something tasteful.
6ehbX0N.jpg

Personally, I lean toward the Southern Grind Spider Monkey (also available in CF, if your pants are too dressy to support copper) because it isn't a flipper...but the Mantra2 flips fairly quietly. The Zieba MS3 is just so small & subtle (carries as easily in a shirt or inside jacket pocket as it does in pants) that it should be allowed.

My carry when I wear slacks is a Benchmade 531. It's really flat and light so it doesn't show or get in the way in my pocket, and it handles all my cutting needs just fine.
I have a 531 and you're right, it is great with slacks and suits. My 531 and a Kershaw Zing (US model) are the two knives I reach for the most.

Also, I have found that one of Gerber's micro utility knives can be handy in the office. Can't remember the model number of mine. It's all stainless and takes regular utility blades. A nice little piece of kit for an office EDC. Combine that with a Victorinox Cadet and you are pretty much set for an office environment.

In no particular order: SAK Cadet, FFxMD Gent, almost anything designed by Ray Laconico, ProTech Sprint or Newport.

The Sprint has been my most frequent carry lately. It’s a 2” blade, so it’s non-threatening, even though it’s an auto. It weighs almost nothing, and it has a deep carry clip. The Newport is the 3” version of the Sprint. There’s also one called the Halfbreed, which is the Sprint blade paired to the Newport frame.

Thank you all for the input! I’ll post when I get the new knife ordered. Leaning toward the Chaparral... although I splurging for the Hinderer xm-18 is tempting.... this may be a very expensive hobby!

Al Mar Ultralight. You can pick your size, price, and blade style. Like a feather in the pocket.

As a guideline: I find non-knife people divide knives into two categories:

--the safe kind, the kind grandpa or the handyman carried. A slipjoint that takes two hands to open.

--gang knives: anything that opens fast with one hand.

I once had a nurse explaining to me how to use sharps. When I opened my small sebenza to take the plastic wrap off the package her eyes got like saucer, as if I had taken out a machete.

The Leek is a great option if you also add an aftermarket deep carry clip. The long super pointy tip may be considered 'sinister' tho.

The Dogtooth is an upgraded version of the Leek IMO, it's manual on bearings, ti framelock (or liner lock, both available), better steel, longer blade with the same length handle. But again, long super pointy tip.

The TRM Neturon is a decent option as well, pick the scales to suit your tastes.

I have all three of those ^^ mentioned.

Also, the Massdrop Gent and Gent Select. I've got a Gent Select with the rosewood scales ordered!

I like the look of the Dogtooth, but the one I’ve really wanted is the Neutron... but getting one has been like trapping a unicorn.. second hand knives go in minutes and New are only via bladehq. Keeping my eyes open to come across one

I like the look of the Dogtooth, but the one I’ve really wanted is the Neutron... but getting one has been like trapping a unicorn.. second hand knives go in minutes and New are only via bladehq. Keeping my eyes open to come across one
We have lots more in production now. The next release will start in June. Creating unicorns is not our goal :) Marianne Halpern Co-Owner TRM

We have lots more in production now. The next release will start in June. Creating unicorns is not our goal :) Marianne Halpern Co-Owner TRM

Thank you for chiming in! It’s nice to hear that companies are attentive to what is happening. Side note, you have the most impeccable timing. It seems a neutron was recently made available on Bladehq on Tuesday and I was able to get one. I will be ordering replacement carbon fiber scales soon as well. Thanks!

Back