1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 29 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Ron Flaherty Folder , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

New Office EDC

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by EhTrain02, Mar 31, 2019.

1. abbazaba

abbazaba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2015
    Another Chaparral vote over here! Pocket perfection.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    For me, "office carry" suggests a traditional - gentlemanly, unobtrusive, and likely to be considered benign by the office staff (and, more importantly, by the HR representative you could end up facing). Especially a sheepsfoot blade, because, well, the less "stabby" looking, the better.
    [​IMG]

However, if your tastes are modern, go with something tasteful.
    [​IMG]
    Personally, I lean toward the Southern Grind Spider Monkey (also available in CF, if your pants are too dressy to support copper) because it isn't a flipper...but the Mantra2 flips fairly quietly. The Zieba MS3 is just so small & subtle (carries as easily in a shirt or inside jacket pocket as it does in pants) that it should be allowed.

3. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    I have a 531 and you're right, it is great with slacks and suits. My 531 and a Kershaw Zing (US model) are the two knives I reach for the most.

Also, I have found that one of Gerber's micro utility knives can be handy in the office. Can't remember the model number of mine. It's all stainless and takes regular utility blades. A nice little piece of kit for an office EDC. Combine that with a Victorinox Cadet and you are pretty much set for an office environment.

BitingSarcasm likes this.
  4. CanadaKnifeGuy

CanadaKnifeGuy Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 27, 2019
    Gerber EAB is an amazing utility blade. Acts like a Wharncliffe blade and is tiny.

sabre cat likes this.
  5. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    That's it. The EAB is what I own. Thank you for posting.

CanadaKnifeGuy likes this.
  6. In no particular order: SAK Cadet, FFxMD Gent, almost anything designed by Ray Laconico, ProTech Sprint or Newport.

The Sprint has been my most frequent carry lately. It’s a 2” blade, so it’s non-threatening, even though it’s an auto. It weighs almost nothing, and it has a deep carry clip. The Newport is the 3” version of the Sprint. There’s also one called the Halfbreed, which is the Sprint blade paired to the Newport frame.

7. EhTrain02

EhTrain02 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 25, 2019
    Thank you all for the input! I’ll post when I get the new knife ordered. Leaning toward the Chaparral... although I splurging for the Hinderer xm-18 is tempting.... this may be a very expensive hobby!

8. ASBOB

ASBOB Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Al Mar Ultralight. You can pick your size, price, and blade style. Like a feather in the pocket.

As a guideline: I find non-knife people divide knives into two categories:

--the safe kind, the kind grandpa or the handyman carried. A slipjoint that takes two hands to open.

--gang knives: anything that opens fast with one hand.

I once had a nurse explaining to me how to use sharps. When I opened my small sebenza to take the plastic wrap off the package her eyes got like saucer, as if I had taken out a machete.

9. EhTrain02

Mar 25, 2019
    I like the look of the Dogtooth, but the one I’ve really wanted is the Neutron... but getting one has been like trapping a unicorn.. second hand knives go in minutes and New are only via bladehq. Keeping my eyes open to come across one

10. TRM-TICOON

TRM-TICOON

Mar 23, 2018
    We have lots more in production now. The next release will start in June. Creating unicorns is not our goal :) Marianne Halpern Co-Owner TRM

11. EhTrain02

Mar 25, 2019
    Thank you for chiming in! It’s nice to hear that companies are attentive to what is happening. Side note, you have the most impeccable timing. It seems a neutron was recently made available on Bladehq on Tuesday and I was able to get one. I will be ordering replacement carbon fiber scales soon as well. Thanks!