New Pattern Sunday!

Brian.Evans

Registered Member
I won't be doing this every Sunday, but I will try to post up a pattern on Sundays when I have something fun to share. I invite you all to comment, criticize, or suggest changes. I think it will be fun.

This Sunday, I'm posting a pattern I've been thinking about for some time. I call it Chunky Monkey.

I designed it to ride horizontal on a belt, right in front. It's a small knife, bit it makes up for its size in easy access and quick deployment. The tip is directly in line with your index finger, which allows easy indexing of the tip. I plan on testing two of these as prototypes. One regular pointy tip, one with a blunted tip as a quick deploy rescue-ish knife for work.

I'm planning on 1/4" stainless Corby bolts and several different handle materials. Hidden lanyard hole straight out the butt. Hale Storm Custom Kydex sheaths. It's going to be great.

0308150840.jpg

Stay tuned. I have a great pattern in store for next week, I call it "Silky." It is a Japanese inspired piece with curves in all the right places.......

Last edited:
Awesome design Brian. You know, the problem with your designs is that I know your quality and attention to detail on the actual knives, so I immediately want one. :D

And, you know I'm partial to sub 5" blades in stainless supersteels. This would make a terrific edc blade to wear right on the belt horizontally as you said.

I carried a small blade in that configuration for a while but the knife had literally no handle and was not comfortable to use. This will fit the bill perfectly.

I'm just getting into fixed blade EDC-ing, but that is a great-looking design, simple and useable.

Ronnie, Matthew, thank you. I think the modified sheepsfoot/wharncliffe blade shape it's one of the most useful blade shapes for day to day, EDC knife use. Having the tip inline with the middle of the blade and inline with your index finger gives a lot of power and control to the tip. I'm going to try to incorporate this or a leaf blade into more of my designs.

My style of edc right there. Can't wait to see your actual prototype

I'm getting ready to put the pattern on steel. I'll send it out at the same time I send the Dart EDCs out. I've got some red fire hose material that will look really cool on one I think.

Well, I'm not very good at this, I almost forgot today is Sunday! As promised, "Silky." I will be prototyping this out in 52100 and CPM20CV. The contoured bolsters will definitely stay. There isn't a straight line anywhere in the profile. Super curvy, just like a knife should be. I showed it to another local maker today. He picked it up and said, "Ohhhh, I like that!"

No lanyard hole on these. Dark bolsters, light scales. I'd like to do black paper micarta or g10 bolsters with lightening strike kevlar scales or black g10 bolsters with curly maple or koa scales. Lots of ways to go with this one.

I do apologize, that pattern is a bit beat up. It's been riding in my work bag for a few weeks.

0315151744.jpg

0315151744a.jpg

Up next week, either the "Nettle," a small camp/edc/general chore knife, or the "MiniKep" an EDC sized Kephart pattern. Heck, it might be a two-fer next week, you'll just have to check in and see......

Guys, I can't wait until Sunday. Here's a new pattern early. I'll post another on Sunday.

This is the Nettle. It was named by a good friend of mine named Jay Polaski. This guy is as good at leather as Ronnie is at kydex. If you need leather, definitely look him up! Yellow Birch Outfitter

It's named Nettle because like nettles, it has 101 uses outdoors. It makes a great light camp or hiking knife, or even a great EDC knife. This will have contoured handles. I'm looking forward to seeing this one develop.

0226150731a.jpg

Maybe I should mark on a calendar which day is Sunday......

This is my Mini Kephart pattern. It's a nice little 6" pattern. This proto pattern is flat ground, but it could be scandi ground as well.

0323151115b.jpg

Maybe I should mark on a calendar which day is Sunday......

This is my Mini Kephart pattern. It's a nice little 6" pattern. This proto pattern is flat ground, but it could be scandi ground as well.

0323151115b.jpg
cant wait!lol!!!

I'll update this tomorrow. I'm at work and I want to debut the North Fork pattern that I don't have with me.

Here are a couple more patterns I profiled yesterday.

Alpha Storm. Little knife, no lanyard hole, a hair under 5" oal. This one was requested by Ronnie several months ago.

0518150925.jpg

Little Horn. I had 8 of these already profiled in 0.070" AEB-L before the Dart batch. I totally forgot about them. I'm going to chisel grind them. I'm thinking high end scale material on these little gentlemen's knives. Elephant ivory, mammoth ivory, mammoth bone, lacewood, stag, fire hose micarta, ebony, etc.

0518150926.jpg

This one is just for me. It's a steak knife. I think I need to knock a half inch off the handle. I have no idea what I want for handle material. This is 0.060" 15n20.

0518150926b.jpg

Back