NEW product HI - Der Hauswehr

I don't have the prototype yet - its in the mail, but when it arrives I will give a full review with videos. For now, I'd like to whet your appetites with some pictures and history.
The Hauswher (Home-defense weapon) is a distant cousin of the Grosse Messer, a weapon that comes in a variety of sizes and shapes. I love a few swords and knives above all others, and all of the members of the messer family are included. Basically, it is an old German version of a khukuri. About the same size, meant for chopping, fullered, similar sheath, similar in many ways except the curve is to the rear, not the front. I chose a beautiful example I found in an online auction website.
This one was made in Vienna in the 1830's.
Hauswehr.jpg

This is the new HI version, based on a full-scale drawing I sent them.
(They really did a fantastic job of replicating it)
HIhauswehr1.jpg

HIHauswehr2.jpg

The reason I chose this knife was because the bowie chitlangi hit me one day. I said "where have I seen this knife before?" and I went looking...
I guess I should tell you guys now - The teardrop sirupati was only one of 30 or so knife and sword designs I sent to the Kamis. I sent everything from English polearms to the sword of Mehmed to shuriken. all full-sized drawings cut out of posterboard accompanied with smaller, full-color photos and specs.
So far, there have been two offspring of the project and they are both VERY pleasing to see ! I hope that the rest of the designs are brought to life and that they sell well. I did my best to come up with some of the most desirable, exotic, interesting and yet doable projects I could find. The only failure so far has been a German helmet - armor is apparently not a doable project. But anyway, so far, so good!

Well, If that isnt the prettiest darn thing!
Very glad to finally see this,tonight.
Bravo to you Danny, and Bravo to Yangdu and the Kami's for doing a great job in replicating it. That looks fantastic and i think it should be a great seller.

What is the Approx. OAL and width of blade on this?

I don't know the HI specs yet, but I'm guessing 20" long. I will tell all when it arrives. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Danny,
That is fantastic. Cheers to you, Yangdu and the kamis.

That is a beauty! I saw someone had a Kopis, and I'd love one of those. Might have to inquire about one if at all possible.

thats a nice design knife. different sizes might fill a lot of needs.

ive been thinking that a HI Keris style blade would be very neat to have. maybe even a full replication / interpretation of a traditional Indonesian keris would be even better.

Danny, that looks unreal the kamis continue to amaze me. Cant wait to see more pics of it.:thumbup::D

absolutely beautiful but I'm sure it will be way out of my price range for anytime in the near future.

Nice pix, thank you Danny

ive been thinking that a HI Keris style blade would be very neat to have. maybe even a full replication / interpretation of a traditional Indonesian keris would be even better.

Or a Filippino kalis/kris... somethin' big and swordy!

Given their proclivity for making thick blades, I can imagine the kamis snickering at the "daintiness" of Indonesian keris. :D

Danny, you say you provided the kamis with a posterboard cutout and photos? Seeing how nicely this baby turned out, I'm becoming increasingly interested in the idea and process of seeking custom work from the kamis.

I don't know if it's really worth the effort making an HI keris, there are traditionally made keris blades available from the Philippines, what I would like to see is more weapons that cannot be easily found from other sources, for example, if HI could start making replacement blades for common bayonet systems, that would be amazing. I am sure that my father for example, would love to get his hands on a differentially hardened hand crafted M4 bayonet for his M1 carbine.

As for me, I would love an M6 bayonet modified to have a gigantic foot and a half long sabre blade.
TM-9-1005-237-23P_20_1.jpg

Last edited:
Seeing how nicely this baby turned out, I'm becoming increasingly interested in the idea and process of seeking custom work from the kamis.

+ 1 ... provided that they will go down to a reasonable thicknesses, not stay with their often overbuilt offerings that while being almost indestructible, are just too big and heavy for sustained usage.

It got here today - that's overnight delivery !!
So far, I have only had time to worship it and take a few measurements.
Spine is 3/8 inch above guard (which is just about the same as the original)
Overall length is 20.5 inches, also very close to original.
I am still amazed at how perfectly they did this one. It differs from the Vienna specimen very very little. Somehow, the spirit of the original must have been so close to what they were already doing, it must have just naturally guided itself into the correct form.
I hope they make 20 more !

Pictures and videos to follow...

Back