NEW product HI - Der Hauswehr

Spine is 3/8 inch above guard (which is just about the same as the original)
Overall length is 20.5 inches, also very close to original.
I am still amazed at how perfectly they did this one. It differs from the Vienna specimen very very little.

In light of my previous comments, I am very pleased and happy that the Kam's have been prepared to got to this thinner ( for them;) ) style of blade.

Looking forward to the vid and photo's! :thumbup:

That is awesome, Danny!!!
Thanks for the measurements, that thing must be a beast!!

You know... I'd be all over an HI version of this:

276px-Gladius_in_hand.jpg

Very interesting and very cool. Definitely would consider buying one of these. Also, I'm gonna echo B.C. Molin and say I'm happy the kamis made this close to the original, i.e. thinner (for them) blade. Now, I just hope they maintain this aspect and don't deviate into making these into thicker, heavier blades!

Wow, Danny! That is awesome. I might need to get me one of those:eek:

I had to do some slight modifications to the handle as the front of the grip was one finger too short. I cut a slice off with the scrollsaw then sanded it round and tried to polish it up some. (My buffer isnt doing much, I think there is a problem with the wheel)
Anyway, The first time I swung it, some sharp corners on the butt of the knife dug painfully into the heel of my hand. I sanded them off, but it exposed the horn underneath.
So maybe the next ones ought to have a more rounded pommel and a longer grip area.

Once I did that, it felt REALLY good in the hand and swung very well. Lots of power in a relatively small package. The ancient design really makes itself known when you heft it.

Handle before
CIMG0333.jpg

Handle after
CIMG0341.jpg

Butt smoothed off
CIMG0342.jpg

I apologize for the lack of interesting cutting materials, but this is post-Halloween. Pumpkins are fun to cut, but far too easy to be indicative of anything. So, I wrapped this one in some dried, stiff pig leather. It was not so easy to cut, or at least, I haven't cut in a while and my first cut was too slow.

I like the hauswehr because it is the Germanic equivalent of a khukuri. This is the powerful chopping tool/weapon of MY ancestors. I love khukuri, but you know, it's like getting in touch with your ancient past, it's a bonus..
The hauswehr is beautiful, comfortable and deadly.

Last edited:
Cool Video's, Danny!!
I think the pumpkins give a fair representation of what would happen if a person were on the recieving end of that thing. :eek::eek: :( :barf:
It went thru that leather pretty darn well. :eek:

Last edited:
i was wondering about the handle as it did not look quite like the original, the pommel area was not quite the same angle and it did not have the same 'hook' for holding the hand. you've corrected most of that & hopefully the kami's will correct it. looking good. ich liebe dieses hauswehr!

I love khukuri, but you know, it's like getting in touch with your ancient past, it's a bonus..

Interesting point about "ancestral weaponry" Danny.

Hmm, thinking along those lines, my Uddha sword is not unlike an Algerian flyssa... I suppose I ought to add a francisca and claymore to the collection. Hmm, the latter might cost a pretty penny though!

i've always thought the uddha sword was based on the salawar yataghan, a pathan design of the western himalayan area around the khyber pass...much closer to nepal tha the kaybelle tribes of north west africa where the flyssa comes from. the flyssa is more of a rapier, where the salawar and the uddha are like large french chef's knives, meant for slicing and dicing...like the hauswehr, tho they can stab nicely. (the hauswehr seems a bit limited in the stab area tho)

uddha (CSG's)
UddhaSwordByBuraInHand20070916_sm.jpg

my salawar: (a.k.a. khyber 'knife', tho it's 28" overall)
khyber2.jpg

my flyssa:
flyssa01.jpg

i do not have a hauswehr. yet.

just for interest, being lutheran myself, i've found that martin luther had a hauswehr!
E005LuthersHauswehrKlein.jpg

it's in dresden's state art collection.

Last edited:
Great video, I will pass the handle and other suggestion to shop and Kamis.
Thank you Danny for the wonderful help to HI and Kamis

i've always thought the uddha sword was based on the salawar yataghan, a pathan design of the western himalayan area around the khyber pass...much closer to nepal tha the kaybelle tribes of north west africa where the flyssa comes from. the flyssa is more of a rapier, where the salawar and the uddha are like large french chef's knives, meant for slicing and dicing...

Kroncke, seems like the bulk of flyssa are indeed closer to the long ones in your post and elsewhere online that I've seen. I guess what prompted my observation was a possibly anomalous specimen depicted in a book I have on the history of weaponry. I was totally expecting the caption for the photo to read "Salawar Yataghan" or "Khyber knife", but surprisingly it was listed as a flyssa. T'was very Uddha-like. Maybe I'll see if I can snap a pic of it sometime. And have I expressed my monthly quota of collection envy lately? :D

Back on track though, is there a pic showing Martin Luther's hauswehr in its entirety? It's fun to learn about unfamiliar European patterns when one has focused their attention on Asian patterns for so long!

The only other thing, and this I am not sure I want to try and correct, is that the hauswher is double-edged past the top fuller to the end.

Cool Video's, Danny!!
I think the pumpkins give a fair representation of what would happen if a person were on the recieving end of that thing. :eek::eek: :( :barf:
It went thru that leather pretty darn well. :eek:

Scary what a real sword can do,no? that's why they fascinate me,the destructive ability just gives me a warm feeling inside ;)

I kind of like this one,I can suggest a few changes but if they did them I'd probably buy one:

Wood handle.
Thicker butt cap (good for smacking things)
Brass guard.

Do that and you'd have a hell of a weapon!

You know... I'd be all over an HI version of this:

276px-Gladius_in_hand.jpg

If you really want to try an old-fashioned, double-edged short sword, we could look into a Victorian Design called a London Hunting Knife, an oh-so-British design that there's an article on, back in Knives '98. I'm having trouble getting a picture online (I don't have a scanner), but that might be more familiar to the kamis; SOME Englishman must have carried one into Nepal.

Back on track though, is there a pic showing Martin Luther's hauswehr in its entirety? It's fun to learn about unfamiliar European patterns when one has focused their attention on Asian patterns for so long!

that one was the only picture i found (i was googling 'hauswehr'), my first thought was "why didn't they show the whole thing?". some more short arms i found on line: made for the globe theater in london (the modern one, not the old elizabethan one) by macdonald armory:
018.jpg

i particularly like the ones either side of the central cinqueda (i like yelmans).

Back