new projects photo thread.

That is a trail knife. Christian has one, a few others do, too. Christian's is the one in the TK article.

In this case, it's an order for a forum member, but there's 3 other in progress. nominally .23 through the tang, though I sometimes thin that down some, I like the balancing weight. Distal taper and full convex grind through the blade, which makes it not too massive (but beefy enough for heavy chopping). 5160, about 7-8 inch blades, with generous extra length handles for chopping. The black one in the fighting knife thread is the thinly disguised military variant. (though I think I'm going to do it in bvrown gunkote as a regular thing. But the oxpho blue is NICE stuff)

More info here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=731580

But, .... Chute Knife.

332-0002.jpeg

Hey Christof , Is that my 13in langseax that is in the pics that are not heat treated yet. Either way it looks like an awsome blade coming along:thumbup:

Joe

I've got 3 of the langseaxen I'm working on, which one is your sort of depends on how the balances pull out. I may end up having to pull the blade in a half inch or so on one or another, etc. But it's started, yes.

(I never get *everything* photographed)

I'm looking forward to pics. One of these days I need a huge seax to round out my koyote collection.

I don't care who you are, those thing are cool.

(pun incidental but preserved.)

Heading to the show tomorrow. (reno gun show)

Usually I have 22-30 knives, this time only 15. OTOH, this time I'm taking some better work- okay, I'm always taking better work than the last time. But this time more trail knife and alaskan type stuff.

Here's the latest trail knife:

335-0002.jpeg

335-0005.jpeg

335-0006.jpeg

335-0009.jpeg

Good luck at the show. Would love to see 15 of your blades all together...

Busy day in the shop-

Yes, it is Saturday, but I'm still weather dependent and today it's sunny and in the high 70s....monday we ge stormed on again!

My morning heat treat:

2010-04-24-0001.jpeg

Top to bottom:

Next convex EDC in line, a hiking/camping kitchen knife, a leuku, and a mini-Simplicity.

another view for measurement:

2010-04-24-0002.jpeg

A bolo for someone, that needs to heat treat tonight:

2010-04-24-0003.jpeg

more in a moment....

Okay, my camera is going south. So excuse the photos. I have to get a new one- and now is a bad time since I'm doing the whole down payment on the ranch thing......

9.5 inch blade langseax. I've got another, 13 inch one, I'm working on.

2010-04-24-0004.jpeg

2010-04-24-0006.jpeg

I'm really tempted to name this one and chisel some the name or motto into the reverse side of the blade in norse script. ...

Two modern seaxes that are orders- one 6 inch and one 9.25 inch. These are feeling nice. I've definitely gotten a lot better on the grind for these!

2010-04-24-0007.jpeg

2010-04-24-0008.jpeg

One more set.....

Here's a Field Dirk- the militarized trail knife.

This one is pushing right up at 8.25 on the blade and 14.5 overall. It's hard to see with my F****D camera, but I've done a partial reverse convex grin on the whole blade length - the top 1/4. (Thanks, Rick!!! had to try it) It's lightened up more than some of the others and is very nimble, but still pulling .22 on the thickest near the tang and coming down very slowly to .20 where the final taper begins.

This one is definitely purposed as a fighter, but will handle the regular trail knife/dirk duties well.

While not an order, an order I have in has brought this one out in my hands. I may even contact the customer (if I can get better photos!) and offer him the switch if it suits his purposes.

2010-04-24-0009.jpeg

2010-04-24-0010.jpeg

2010-04-24-0011.jpeg

2010-04-24-0014.jpeg

Oh, it's great to see these WIP pics. You were busy today!

Those Seax......is the plural seax or seaxes?....either way they look really good. Sort of magnum Wharnie's.

The fighting dirk looks like it could live up to the name.

You gotta stop it with the Bolo thing, I can't afford to put another blade on the job list. :D

Back