New Prototype for MT – 7” fixed blade!

Yes - seen it at the ShotShow.

The prototype I saw was marked MicroTech “Black Marlin” 1/2002.

It is a salt-water fillet knife - that is to say - a sturdier design -not the totally flexible design you'd expect in a regular fillet knife.

The blade is half serrated, made of S30V (the new hype in production and custom knives alike) and the handle looks like it is made of some kind of solid material - could be Aluminum - can't tell from the image..and can't remember what it felt like...sorry.

I can’t seem to be able to post the images – but will be happy to send them out for someone else to post.

I have a question to the fisherpeoples here...

Are serrations good for filleting fish? Or is this a tactical fillet knife?

A fillet knife??!??

I dont fish... I dont even eat fish that often... but okay... if they think a fillet knife will make 'em money... thats cool.

*sigh* I guess I'll just have to go back to dreaming of nice tactical fixed blades... since this is just a fillet knife. :(

*dissapointed* :rolleyes:

I also thought it was kinda strange...

I imagined they would come up with a tactical fixed blade.

But hey- to each his own...Im not a big MT fan anyway...

The fillet knife not only went over well, it went over very very well according to Tony at Microtech. It is undoubtably the finest fillet knife in production. I cant remember what the handles were made of either, but the knife has the high quality of a Microtech piece. I was also intrigued with there broadheads they unveiled and the handle/sharpening device.

I could see how serrations could work separating the meat from the bones of a fish. But! (aint there always a 'but'?) Serrations won't skin the fillet like a plain/smooth edge will.
Skinning fillets is kind of like push cutting and serrations don't push cut that well.

I haven't seen this one yet, but I hope it's not serrated. That has no place on a fillet knife.

I think serrations are ok for starting the cut on a fish, but they shouldn't extend more than 2 inches along the blade. That gives plenty of plain edge to work with for skinning or fileting. I'd love to see pics of this knife if someone could post them.

Chris

Originally posted by armsraised
Maybe it's an OTF fillet knife?

YES!!!

Sad thing is I'd probably buy an OTF fillet knife.

Looks pretty snazzy. I'd have to agree that I'd want the plain blade version.

Heh, like I needed another reason to go fishing...

Thanks for the link. I've got to buy one of those. Does anyone have any comments on the stain resistance of S30V?

Chris

that I took during the shotshow:

I believe S30V has very good stain resistance

ask Jerry Hossom- he has been using it for some time.

Back