New Season of Alone

The winner was awesome. :thumbsup:

The editing of this season, however, was horrid. :thumbsdown:
The first seasons were shown in such a way that more of the things done by contestants were shown, which made for more interest.

The contestants from this season, if you check various social media sites, mention that they shot far more footage of interesting things being done than was shown.

But whatever...that's television.

Despite the poor editing. I liked moose mans cache. Well built. And some good unplanned experiences that threw a wrench in the plans. But he dealt with it. Not just eating flat mice. This was a good season. I think they went pretty far time wise. Also lots of success w fishing. A couple nice shots w the bow. Best man did win

The winner was awesome. :thumbsup:

The editing of this season, however, was horrid. :thumbsdown:
The first seasons were shown in such a way that more of the things done by contestants were shown, which made for more interest.

The contestants from this season, if you check various social media sites, mention that they shot far more footage of interesting things being done than was shown.

But whatever...that's television.

It's probably because they had to do their best to obfuscate the fact that the moment Jordan brought down that moose, he was going to be the clear winner of this season. If anyone thought anyone else had a chance after that happened, I'm not sure how you could have missed it. Jordan already had the positive attitude from day one, and then suddenly, he had like 900 lbs of food drop in his lap. You don't lose a starvation game when you have an overwhelming food source, and everyone else is struggling to trap mice/rabbits, or outwit foxes who keep stealing your squirrels out of your snares. Everyone else had constant issues with securing food, and he was sitting on hundreds of lbs of it. Interestingly, in his AMA on the Alone Reddit sub, he mentions that there were a ton of other animals he took that were never shown. Hell, he said he was sitting on something like 60 lbs of fish when they showed up to pull him. The way they edited this season was perhaps the worst one we've seen, and I've seen all the seasons.

I get that they had challenges, but this show has long since stopped being about actual survival, instead focusing on watching the emotional breakdown of otherwise normal, rational people and their impending starvation. However, I'm really starting to lose interest and from the sounds of things over on the sub, so are a lot of other people. As is, Sam was the last contestant that anyone wants to watch just laying around and letting his fat reserves carry him to the finish line. I candidly can't watch another season of that.

God, the Sam season. He seems like a decent enough guy, but he was the worst. His shelter sucked, his survival skills were trash, and watching him lay around in his tent while it rained was boring. I also blame him for showing that the "show up at check-in as far overweight as you can get and then just conserve energy by laying around in your sleeping bag and let your fat reserves carry you as you fall into ketosis and try to outlast everyone else" strategy works.

God, the Sam season. He seems like a decent enough guy, but he was the worst. His shelter sucked, his survival skills were trash, and watching him lay around in his tent while it rained was boring. I also blame him for showing that the "show up at check-in as far overweight as you can get and then just conserve energy by laying around in your sleeping bag and let your fat reserves carry you as you fall into ketosis and try to outlast everyone else" strategy works.
Ha! See, I love Sam for pretty much exactly that reason. I don't think he's the smartest guy around, but he figured out that, with most of the seasons, you could win just by doing less and being willing to suffer more. Far from the most skilled, but he recognized the game for what it was, recognized what he needed to do and did it. Personally, I think that's a vastly more useful skill than learning to start a fire with your teeth.

Ha! See, I love Sam for pretty much exactly that reason. I don't think he's the smartest guy around, but he figured out that, with most of the seasons, you could win just by doing less and being willing to suffer more. Far from the most skilled, but he recognized the game for what it was, recognized what he needed to do and did it. Personally, I think that's a vastly more useful skill than learning to start a fire with your teeth.

Well, that's my point. He decided to game the system instead of actually following the spirit of the show. As someone interested in survival and survival shows, it was a disappointment. Reading some of the comments on the sub after he won were hilarious, ESPECIALLY since Sam's a participant in the section.

Anyway, I think Alone has "evolved" into something that wasn't the original intent of its creators.

Well, that's my point. He decided to game the system instead of actually following the spirit of the show. As someone interested in survival and survival shows, it was a disappointment. Reading some of the comments on the sub after he won were hilarious, ESPECIALLY since Sam's a participant in the section.

Anyway, I think Alone has "evolved" into something that wasn't the original intent of its creators.
I hear you, and I like the survival aspects and such, but I find them to largely be people playing games in the woods. Guys like Lucas, Randy, Joe Robinett, etc are undeniably skilled, but they're also much more about doing cool stuff and developing interesting skills than surviving. If I'm in a nasty situation far out in the wilderness, a passable shelter and conserving energy are gonna do me better than building a log cabin 99% of the time.

Glad to see Jordan won. I knew he would win after the first episode when they described his experience and how he lived in Siberia fur trapping and then traveled and lived with nomadic reindeer herders. The guys was living this show before he even applied for it. He seems to basically cruise through his time on the show. Something went wrong? Oh well, guess I'll have to fix it. Out of meat with fat? Guess, I'll need to hunt and fish for more fatty animals. Then went out and did it. By far the best contestant yet.

Glad to see Jordan won. I knew he would win after the first episode when they described his experience and how he lived in Siberia fur trapping and then traveled and lived with nomadic reindeer herders. The guys was living this show before he even applied for it. He seems to basically cruise through his time on the show. Something went wrong? Oh well, guess I'll have to fix it. Out of meat with fat? Guess, I'll need to hunt and fish for more fatty animals. Then went out and did it. By far the best contestant yet.
Jordan certainly had his priorities on target. Not everyone could be fortunate to kill a moose or even be successful fishing. I was pretty sure he would win after getting the moose unless an accident befell him like cutting himself badly or falling from a height. I honestly had little interest in watching this season's shows and likely will feel the same way if they have another season. There is a certain life expectancy with TV shows..... take Goldrush..... I don't know if there will be another season. It has gotten a bit ho hum.

Probably the best part of the show was Jordan pegging the Wolverine w an arrow then rushing in w an ax to finish it. That exceeds expectations. I remember a previous season where one of the contestants saw bear poop and quit.

I remember a previous season where one of the contestants saw bear poop and quit.

I remember that! :D
He was on the island for about 8 hours, or something like that.

That was when I realized I definitely have what it takes to be on the show...not to win it, but to be on it.
I could certainly manage to not be the first person to leave. :thumbsup:
I might end up being the second to leave, but I can live with that. ;)

It's probably because they had to do their best to obfuscate the fact that the moment Jordan brought down that moose, he was going to be the clear winner of this season. If anyone thought anyone else had a chance after that happened, I'm not sure how you could have missed it. Jordan already had the positive attitude from day one, and then suddenly, he had like 900 lbs of food drop in his lap. You don't lose a starvation game when you have an overwhelming food source, and everyone else is struggling to trap mice/rabbits, or outwit foxes who keep stealing your squirrels out of your snares. Everyone else had constant issues with securing food, and he was sitting on hundreds of lbs of it. Interestingly, in his AMA on the Alone Reddit sub, he mentions that there were a ton of other animals he took that were never shown. Hell, he said he was sitting on something like 60 lbs of fish when they showed up to pull him. The way they edited this season was perhaps the worst one we've seen, and I've seen all the seasons.

I get that they had challenges, but this show has long since stopped being about actual survival, instead focusing on watching the emotional breakdown of otherwise normal, rational people and their impending starvation. However, I'm really starting to lose interest and from the sounds of things over on the sub, so are a lot of other people. As is, Sam was the last contestant that anyone wants to watch just laying around and letting his fat reserves carry him to the finish line. I candidly can't watch another season of that.

No, it was 600 lbs of food. Only about half of an animal or fish's live weight is edible flesh. No, there was not a "ton" of other animals. He got 28 rabbits, at 700 calories each, when you need 3500 calories per day out there, on average. because of the cold. You need 2500 calories per day just to hole up in your shelter, and 4500 calories per day to hunt all day out in the cold. So his rabbits would have fed him adequately for just 5 days. He was just starving, like everyone else, until day 28 when he got lucky and a moose came onto his little 2.4 mile diameter circle of alloted area, half of it out on the lake. Season 7, Roland got lucky with a musk ox, after starving for weeks as he stupidly built a rock shelter, which just sucked all the heat out of his body and fire. They are all so dumb as to "think" that they need a warming fire. Why the hell would you want to have to find, cut, haul and process firewood for 100 hours out there in the cold, wind, snow? Make a properly sealed, insulated and reflective shelter, wear all 6 layers of your clothing and you dont have to bother with the fire, nor get emphysema from breathing smoke, like some moron.

Jordan certainly had his priorities on target. Not everyone could be fortunate to kill a moose or even be successful fishing. I was pretty sure he would win after getting the moose unless an accident befell him like cutting himself badly or falling from a height. I honestly had little interest in watching this season's shows and likely will feel the same way if they have another season. There is a certain life expectancy with TV shows..... take Goldrush..... I don't know if there will be another season. It has gotten a bit ho hum.

If they knew to take a 2 person rope hammock, $60 from Amazon, they could make 800 sq ft of 1.5" mesh netting. use that as a baited net trap and a seine, with a raft to help you manipulate the seine, with some baited "chumlines" running out into the lake and you'll catch 600 lbs of fish before the lake freezes up. That's 200,000 calories. That will take you to 100 days while losing 50 lbs of body weight. as a big man. A small woman will lose 20 lbs.

The makers claim that the hammock has 1500 ft of rope in it. The rope is comprised of 44 little threads. If you twist 4 of those threads into one strand, it will suffice to make fish netting. So you get 11 strands. Save 100 ft of the rope for camp chores. 1400x11 is 15,400 ft of the strands. You need 9 ft of cordage per sq ft of 3" mesh netting. It's much faster and easir to make 3" mesh netting than 1.5" mesh. So you use the 3" first, and see how many big fish you can catch. Take one of the 25 fishhooks as a bent sewing needle. Fowler did that, so it meets the regulations. Once you no longer catch big fish, overlay 2 segments of netting and sew-together every other mesh. Then it will be 1.5" mesh. You'll have 1700 sq ft of 3" mesh netting. You can easily make 200 sq ft of such netting per day, while still doing the other chores that you'll need to do. You can set out each day's production as part of a trap, and after 3 days, you'll have a seine to run across the mouth of the "v" shaped net trap, with 2 other 'v"s formed by the net and the shoreline. Bait the apex of all 3 v's and there will be fish in your seine/trap. Lots of them.

It is a huge mistake to bet everything on arrowing a big animal. You may never have one on your little 2.5 sq miles of land. You get a 5 sq mile area but half of it is on the lake. That's just a 2.4 mile diameter circle. 1.2 mile radius from your drop off location. That is very, very little land to hunt. I'd set half a dozen baited foot snares for big game, baited with the salt, and also make half a dozen baited spring-pole kill-sets, so as to drive a stake into the tops of the their heads.

Last edited:
No, it was 600 lbs of food. Only about half of an animal or fish's live weight is edible flesh. No, there was not a "ton" of other animals. He got 28 rabbits, at 700 calories each, when you need 3500 calories per day out there, on average. because of the cold. You need 2500 calories per day just to hole up in your shelter, and 4500 calories per day to hunt all day out in the cold. So his rabbits would have fed him adequately for just 5 days. He was just starving, like everyone else, until day 28 when he got lucky and a moose came onto his little 2.4 mile diameter circle of alloted area, half of it out on the lake. Season 7, Roland got lucky with a musk ox, after starving for weeks as he stupidly built a rock shelter, which just sucked all the heat out of his body and fire. They are all so dumb as to "think" that they need a warming fire. Why the hell would you want to have to find, cut, haul and process firewood for 100 hours out there in the cold, wind, snow? Make a properly sealed, insulated and reflective shelter, wear all 6 layers of your clothing and you dont have to bother with the fire, nor get emphysema from breathing smoke, like some moron.

Cool story, bro. I appreciate the condescension. :rolleyes:

if you make your tarp lean-to shelter just 4.5 ft tall at the head end, and 3.5 ft wide, and tape it down to 3x3 ft triangle at the foot end, 6.5 ft long, it requires well under 100 sq ft of the 144 sq ft of membrane provided by the 12x12 tarp. You can use the remaining reflective material to make a shirt, leggings, hood, mittens, and booties. Stuff debris between this layer of tarp-stuff and your other clothing. Simply tape together the pieces of tarp. You might even have enough of the tarp left over to have a reflective floor in side of your shelter, or at least, a reflective cover for your raised wooden bed. Every little bit helps. Then, you see, you wont waste a week on making a debris shelter that is so inefficient that you still need a fire-place inside of it. Keep your shelter portable and you can move it to a big animal kill, or out onto the ice beside your fishing holes/slits for the nets. It's crazy to risk leaving your challenge-winning pile of meat for wolves to slobber and piss upon while you haul pieces of it back to a permanent shelter.

if you knew anythung about shelters, and wood processing. you'd know I"m correct.

Heh, no. I've got years of experience in camping, firemaking, shelter building, and doing week long stretches out in the woods with minimal gear. I'll stick with that, thanks. Also, since you seem like such a super expert and all, what season of this show were you on? I mean, I figure, a guy with abilities and knowledge like yours, you'd have won at least two of the seasons, right?

Right?

:)

since you're claiming to know more than me, what season were YOU on, hmm? since there's only 70 people in the world who know anything, right? and all but 2 of them starved and those two got LUCKY. nobody on this earth knows anything, right? get lost with your stupid "thinking".

since you're claiming to know more than me, what season were YOU on, hmm? since there's only 70 people in the world who know anything, right? and all but 2 of them starved and those two got LUCKY. nobody on this earth knows anything, right? get lost with your stupid "thinking".

I'm not claiming any such thing, I'm also not the one in here armchair quarterbacking and attemping to portray himself as more knowledgeable than folks who actually went and walked the walk. Looks to me like you've read some books, watched some Youtube videos and have decided that only your way is best. That's laughable, incorrect, and laughably incorrect.

So, I'm guessing you haven't been on the show, eh? Yeah, didn't think so. Your ignorance and arrogance are amusing.

Wait a minute. Are knife guys bickering about something completely insignificant and for no good reason? Shocking! Unheard of !

Back