New Sebenza 21 Question

Just received my carbon fiber large (lefty) 21 from Knife Art. It's beautiful! The detent is pretty strong, though. Does this loosen up as the knife breaks in? I'm assuming it will, but I haven't had a new one in my hand in many years.

It should break in. New knives should be smooth but “hydraulic” in the sense that the blade doesn't move on it's own, but it's smooth if you're pushing it. Carry it around for a few weeks and it should feel a bit smoother.

I have three (two large and one small) EDC user Sebenza 21’s and I bought each new from an authorized vendor. The action of each of the three became more fluid as some time passed and the months wore on. YMMV, but I’ll bet yours will likely evolve as mine have.

Good advice above.

When I get a new CRK my thumb is usually dying by the end of day #2.

I put the knife away and carry something else for a day or two, then repeat the cycle a few times as needed.

It’s part of the charm and a lasting relationship is formed in the process. :)

E Evany , how about a pic so we can share the fun of your new Sebenza?

Try not to use the top of the thumb stud, try to actually touch the blade with your thumb in order to get as much thumb behind the stud as possible. If you push straight out, then arc up, it will be less painful breaking it in. I've got a new 21 that is tight also and is being stubborn. Of course, it isn't helping that my other CRK's are broken in.

I actually tuck my thumbnail under the stud to get it past the detent ball instead of the fleshy part of my thumb. I find it easier and faster.

There’s some good advice in the previous replies to your question. I guess I’ve been lucky in that I haven’t had a hard time breaking in any new Sebenza’s. One thing I usually do, however, is to disassemble it first and give it a good cleaning and fresh lube. Not saying that it will help your detent issue, but it is one of my OCD rituals. :D In my mind, it improves the smoothness ever so slightly. Good luck!

Just received my carbon fiber large (lefty) 21 from Knife Art. It's beautiful! The detent is pretty strong, though. Does this loosen up as the knife breaks in? I'm assuming it will, but I haven't had a new one in my hand in many years.
As a lefty and a resent new CRK owner. I have to ask if this is you first CRK? I found that on my umnumzaan I got the famous CRK thumb. But on my inkosi I didn't have the same problem. I should mention I bought both second hand the umnumzaan I know for a fact was well broke in and should not have given me any issues and the inkosi was lime new and should have. I got thr umnumzaan first and 3 days later I got the inkosi. I think what was mentioned above maybe a key factor. I did take both apart , clean and relube them. Mostly just to get to know my new found freinds. But when I started with the umnumzaan I was pushing with the top of the thumb stud. By the time the inkosi showed up I was pushing from the blade stock and thumb stud. By day 5 the sore thumb was gone and the smooth feeling was solid with both knives. Now I'm looking to sell off a ton of my other collection and add to the CRK collection. They seem to want to hang with there own kind especially the left handed ones. Come hand out with use at everything lefties tread. Love to have you.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies! I bought my first Sebenza in 1993. It was my only folder for a least a decade, but I eventually convinced myself that the ATS34 steel was obsolete and regrettably sold it. Anyway I've forgotten how it felt when new. I've had other CRKs since then, all bought used, all very smooth, all unfortunately sold. I hope I'm back to stay this time around! Taking it apart and lubing is a great suggestion, as is giving myself a couple of days off for the thumb to recover.

Thanks for the replies! I bought my first Sebenza in 1993. It was my only folder for a least a decade, but I eventually convinced myself that the ATS34 steel was obsolete and regrettably sold it. Anyway I've forgotten how it felt when new. I've had other CRKs since then, all bought used, all very smooth, all unfortunately sold. I hope I'm back to stay this time around! Taking it apart and lubing is a great suggestion, as is giving myself a couple of days off for the thumb to recover.

Man I wished I had your first Sebenza in ATS34. made way back in 1993. I bet that thing has some stories to tell. I bet you wish you had it still. Keep us updated on your progress.

Cheers fellow lefty.

I'm so sorry I let it go. I ordered it from Chris himself at the NYC Knife show. It arrived co-incidentally on the first night I brought my then girlfriend (now wife) home to stay over. And the irony of it is, for some reason that knife I guess due to the edge geometry and heat treat, stayed sharp way longer than many of the knives with "super steels," I eventually replaced it with. Oh well. I have a feeling the way they heat treat and grind S35VN at CRK these days also puts it in a different class then other makers who use it.

Try not to use the top of the thumb stud, try to actually touch the blade with your thumb in order to get as much thumb behind the stud as possible. If you push straight out, then arc up, it will be less painful breaking it in. I've got a new 21 that is tight also and is being stubborn. Of course, it isn't helping that my other CRK's are broken in.

I use this method. Even after they’re broke in

Much easier using Ajack60's suggestion. Thanks!
It really is. I never realized that’s how I open them until I got my first Damascus 21. Fades rite there where my thumb rests on the blade opening it

Back