New shop toy

In case you don't know already, there are basic equations for feed rates when cutting different types of materials. Can be found in machinist's handbooks, I'm sure online too. They're different depending on the style of cutter (single flute, double flute, carbide tipped, etc.), diameter, and diameter vs. length of cutter too. RPM vs. table feed matters a LOT too!!!

The first two cuts in the first pic appear to have been galling, which means the feed rate was too slow and the material is heating up too much. Are you making multiple passes to cut through that material? Sometimes with thin material you're better off to fully penetrate the material first, then feed into the cutter from the side. With the tiny bits you're using though, that might not be possible without breaking things. It is also not best practice to cut with an end mill that way, but it can be done.

Thanks. I have found a few things on feeds and speeds. I have been making small passes. Through the NS I was going .001 Depth and a very slow 2" per min feed rate. That was about where I stopped getting crazy chatter and breaking bits. I'm going to dig around and see if I can find some more info on cutting the NS. Maybe some different bits? Carbide? Maybe a cooling system? This is a whole new animal to me so I appreciate any advice you have. And it might come down to just not enough power to do the job.

redneck.jpg

Pffft, I'd just run that sumbitch up to 1.21 Jigawatts Marty, duhhh.

Back