New Shop (Work in progress)

Sounds like you are getting there. Moving, in general, is a pain in the butt. I am sure it will be a rewarding sight when you look into your new space and everything is in its place.

Part 1

Here is a recap of where things started out in the new shop. I had no Idea at the time what surprises were in store for me! It took a couple of months to get things in order but I am happy with how things came together.

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

First step was cleaning out the space and hanging the drywall, this was probably my least favorite part.

Slowly I added the tools as I acquired them, I ordered the Sandblasting cabinet directly form the manufacturer and the air compressor came off craigslist lightly used.

Hosted on Fotki

The Clausing Drill press is an old but good piece I got off of Craigslist as well, they do not make drill presses like they used to this one is built like a tank and would fit well in any machinists shop.

Hosted on Fotki

The Office area/ Glue up table, with Majors pad that he never uses.

Hosted on Fotki

Major and I on our first Home Depot run for supplies, at this point he was to young to walk the whole store, so he hitched a ride in the buggy. I would say he looks pretty content here!

Lol, passed out under the table like he had a hard night of partying. :D:D:D

Hosted on Fotki

Major fell asleep watching me work on the drywall late one night! :D:thumbsup:

Hosted on Fotki

2nd Home Depot run of many, that is my 16 yr old daughter pushing him around in the buggy.

Paul Brach helping me build the first bench of the shop, he turned me on to these brackets that help hold and pull all the lumber together, because most people that know me know I am not a very good carpenter. ;)

To be continued....

Last edited:
Part 2

Hosted on Fotki

Bench has been mostly built except the bottom shelf area, here I am switching gears to get the drywall farther along, That is my friend Matt Russo helping me out with the drywall.

Here is a view of some more of the tools that were put in there place after the bench was built.

Major taking a break/Nap.

Hosted on Fotki

I guess the carpet was not comfortable enough so he moved to the tile in the bathroom

Hosted on Fotki

In this picture I started on another bench, and added a few more tools!

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Another bench added to the mix!

Office furniture donated by Robert at Fiddleback Outpost.

Hosted on Fotki

Major is checking the electrician's work out, don't worry these wires are not hooked to anything yet.

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Here is a photo of the shop being wired up, I can't count how many times the shop got messy and then I cleaned it up.

Hosted on Fotki

To be continued.....

Part 3

Major helping me hold the tape measure while I take measurements, he like to be involved.

Electricity all wired up and one more bench built here. New LED lighting too, notice how much brighter it is in there, before I had only one half broken light.

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Major and I made a trip to the local, Woodcraft store to order the dust collection and air filtration system along with some granite surface plates.

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

This time Major walked the whole store for about two hours like a big boy, I am guessing he was a little tired at the end and need to take a breather at checkout.

Here major was protesting the make shift doggy door, he does not like being in the other room while I am working, but he is a handful and their are lots of hazards for a curious pup in the other room.

To be continued....

Part 4

In this series of photos, Matt and I are framing up the last bit of drywall around the new A/C vent I rerouted so I can have a little bit of relief inside the shop.

Notice anything wrong with this picture! In his defense it was almost midnight and we were both short on rest.

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Time to start over and leave the latter out of the framing, LOL

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Drywall almost done and ready for a coating of paint.

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Well that was not supposed to happen, Oopsie Major.

Hosted on Fotki

Dust collection and Air Filtration came in pretty fast.

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

To be continued....

Part 5

Walls are painted, it really brightened up the place, and will help keep dust from sticking to the walls.

Hosted on Fotki

Time to move the 450 pound Nimba Gladiator anvil, I had Paul Brach come over and help, and borrowed an engine lift for Stephan Fowler.

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Thats Majors head at the bottom of the photo supervising and barking orders at us.

To be continued...

Part 6

This part the Anvil has arrived at its new home and we are unloading it from the truck.

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

A couple of Glamor shots of the Anvil in its new home, with some new Faram Forge Hammers to commemorate the moment.

Both the Anvil and Hammers are made in America, in Washington State. The Hammers were forged on a Nimba anvil, and they will now forge on a Nimba Anvil. I thought it was pretty fitting!!

T
o be continued....

Are your image links broken? All I'm seeing is
COLOR]

Part 7

This set of pictures, Paul, Matt and I are hanging the air filtration system from the ceiling, we had to think outside the box to make everything work but it was a success.

Getting the Clausing drill press leveled and in order.

That is all for now folks, I will have a few more pictures later in the week to add to this....

Thanks for all the photos and commentary Chris. You and the guys have accomplished a lot. It is always nice when a team comes together to move from a plan to tangible progress. Major is obviously doing a good job of supervising the build-out of "his" new shop.

Phil

Thanks for all the photos and commentary Chris. You and the guys have accomplished a lot. It is always nice when a team comes together to move from a plan to tangible progress. Major is obviously doing a good job of supervising the build-out of "his" new shop.

Phil

You are welcome! These people were indispensable with their help! I could not have done it with out them and I truly appreciate them dropping what they where doing and making time on the weekends and late at night to help me out. If not for them I would have had to figure it out on my own. Major is growing into his role nicely and is a important part of the team!

Working fine now. Weird.

I am glad it is working for you now! Welcome to the community, this is the first time I have seen you post here!

Looking good! I hope to be over there soon and check it out in person!

Thanks Budd, come on over you are always welcome!
Lets see what kind of shenanigans two Combat Veterans can get in to together! ;):D:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to post the updates Chris. It looks great! The hard work and dedication from the entire team shows in the progression.

I decided last week after putting some finish grinds on last week's knives that I needed more light, So Tuesday I went to Home Depot and bought the brightest lights I could find. I really did not know what I was doing because I have never really wired anything up before. I was up for the challenge and learned a lot today. It took me about 8 hours and an extra trip to Home Depot to get it done but I am really happy with the results! Special thanks to Adam @Valkyrie Knives for helping me build the frame and hang the lights.

Back