1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

New SOG’s

Discussion in 'SOG Specialty Knives' started by dl351, Aug 2, 2020.

1. dl351

dl351

May 5, 2006
    Hello everyone. I check this forum now and then and it’s been fairly slow for a while. I actually picked up two of SOG’s newer knives recently.

For a bit of my background, I’ve been off and on these forums for maybe 15 years. My first “good quality” fixed blade was a Seki SOG Pentagon. I also have an original Seal 2000 and a Seki Tech 2. SOG was the first quality knife company that I ever got really interested in. That was in the late 90’s. As many here, I’ve seen SOG go through some ups and downs, and a lot of cheap designs. I have several arc lock Seki folders and a Trident folder (not the new Trident AT XR) that I honestly feel was a waste of money when I bought it on clearance at Walmart for $25. The lock and blade play on that are horrible.

Moving forward to today, I just picked up a Pillar and a Pentagon XR. The one statement that sums these knives up is that this looks like the start of a new better era for SOG. The Pillar to me seems like a top quality full exposed tang Seal Pup, but made out of a primo steel. The Pentagon XR, though made in Taiwan, has the same solid feel and lockup as any one of my arc lock folders. I’d venture to say the blade is even more solid because it rides on ball bearings that result in less blade play than nylon washers. Now I did get these both on sale for roughly 25-30% off, but I think they’re well worth it, so far. Oh, the Pentagon XR even has the liners recessed in the G10 handle scales. It’s a nice touch!

I’d like to post some pics, but I’ll need to figure out how to post. It’s been a while since I last did!

In short, I think SOG is headed in a much better direction than they have been for the last several years.

Insipid Moniker likes this.
  2. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
    the old days were something...
    moving on!
    agree that pillar is spot on!

uh huh, also kinda find the kiku xr exciting

however both are not on my priority list though. so they'll have to wait :)

3. Silent H

Silent H

Feb 1, 2018
    The Pentagon XR is really tempting me right now, I only wish it was an uncoated blade.

Use Imgur to post pics, it's free. Check out the tech support forum for instructions.

4. Wurger190

Wurger190 Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 5, 2014
    I agree, there are some definite improvements going on, hopefully that stays the course and they return to making all round good knives, not just a few among some average knives.
    I would really like them to fix the Bowie 2.0.
    The handle really needs the finger scalloping sorting out - a bit bigger and matching the crossguard, not dropping about .5" behind the guard. And no plastic snaps on the sheath, dang it!
    Love their SEAL Team and Pup, Pillar sounds brilliant.

5. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker

Feb 28, 2011
    I have a Terminus XR in D2 and it's pretty clearly just a much better knife than the SOGs I had previously owned. They seem to be the first company that has iterated on the Axis lock that I feel have genuinely improved it, at least as far as Axis lock flippers go. Glad to hear you're enjoying their newer offerings.

6. dl351

dl351

May 5, 2006
    To add to my collection of new SOG’s, I just got a Seal XR for Christmas! It’s a tank, opens smooth, and has solid lockup! While the handle is pretty much Zytel with steel liners, there is little to no flex, and the the ergonomics are good. I much prefer the comfort of this handle over flat G10 slabs that some companies use. Even the Pentagon XR has contouring machines into the G10. Here’s a pic of both.
    [​IMG]

Wurger190 likes this.
  7. Wurger190

Wurger190 Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 5, 2014
    That's a very nice pairing, love the look of the SEAL XR. What is the feel of the handle like, esp concerning the surround jimping?