1. Week 47 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Nov 23 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 44 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Spyderco C230GPPBK Lil Native Black Blade & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, Cold Steel Stickers & Boker Tree Brand Hat , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)
  3. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

New spyderco choice

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Earl1, Aug 4, 2018.

1. gdog363

gdog363 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2017
    I’ll just say this: there is a reason so many people own the PM2 and Manix.

2. Earl1

Earl1

May 11, 2016
    I would take it off your hands in a heartbeat but I don't have 80 bucks. I would love to have it.

3. Earl1

Earl1

May 11, 2016
    The lightweight is one I have looked at quite a bit

4. zhyla

zhyla

Sep 11, 2011
    I’m going to ignore everything OP thinks he wants and his budget and chant “Chaparral” over and over. Slicy, ergonomic, affordable, and compact. It’s one of the better knives they’ve ever made, and I’ve owned a lot of Spydercos.

They don’t make many bad knives. The Manix 2 is my beefy knife option and it’s good, but most of the time I carry a smaller knife.

Earl1 likes this.
  5. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    They have an FRN chapparal.

To the OP save up a little money and get a Delica, a native, manix 2 lightweight, chapparell lightweighht. The budget Spydercos are good knives too but compared to those listed above.

Earl1 likes this.
  6. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    For a good pocket knife that is an incredible slicer the FRN Chaparral Light Weight is king. It cannot be beat in the 2.8 to 3 inch category. Plus, folded it is as small as a Dragonfly. Sal Glesser is an ergonomic genius.

As far as the Manix vs Tenacious, etc. the Manix is a better knife. The light weights in BD1 are my favorite. I have the translucent royal blue version, but it comes in black, as well. I have an S90V version, but the BD1 is simply more practical and better balanced as far as characteristics. I think that is the way to go for you.

As far as it being a pocket hog, the mistake most people make is thinking a knife must be clipped to your pocket. I drop my M2 LW down inside of my pocket, not clipped. It does not take up a lot of room and I also carry change and a large smartphone in the same pocket with no issues. Of course, my pants are not skin tight. I got over that in the mid '70s.

ScooterG and Earl1 like this.
  7. Shoopmonster

Shoopmonster Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I have a few Byrds (Meadowlark 2, Finch 2, Cara Cara 2, Robin 2) if you are interested. They are just sitting in a drawer.

Earl1 likes this.
  8. lieferung

lieferung Basic Member Basic Member

May 24, 2016
    OP seems like you really want a Manix just the price is a bit high. I say you should save and get one, it is really an outstanding knife. Just be aware the lock is fairly stiff and not nearly as easy to disengage as the Tenacious liner lock, but it also locks up rock solid and is extremely ergonomic. Never owned a light weight version but have heard great things about them. The full liner version is chunky but hey its a work knife.

If in the end price is an issue, you can't go wrong with a Tenacious. When I first got into Spyderco I actually ordered both a Tenacious and a Manix and was very happy with both.

Earl1 likes this.
  9. Earl1

Earl1

May 11, 2016
    I have heard alot of people say they really like the byrd line. If I had the no e.g. right now I would buy a couple from ya. It's just tight here right now. I'm waiting on disability or the doctor to get the seizures under control so I can go back to work . My wife is the only income right now.

lieferung likes this.
  10. Earl1

Earl1

May 11, 2016
    How much would u want foe the meadowlark and cara cara

11. abbazaba

abbazaba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2015
    [​IMG]

Earl1 likes this.
  12. Stumpy72

Stumpy72 Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 5, 2018
    I recently got a Tenacious. It’s the knife I’m going to teach myself how to sharpen knives with. Kind of like the clunker car you buy for your kid when they just got their drivers license--so they can wreck their own heap and not the family car.

lieferung and Earl1 like this.
  13. archieblue

archieblue Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2001
    I think the best Spydies are the Native line

Earl1 likes this.
  14. Earl1

Earl1

May 11, 2016
    The flat grind should be good to learn with. With the 8cr13mov you can just use a cheaper stone to learn with. No need for diamond stone or anything. Good luck learning it's no too hard justpatience and practice :):thumbsup:

15. zima2190

zima2190 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2015
    @Earl1
    I too know what it’s like to not be able to work due to medical issues and I love Spyderco knives. If you’re looking at getting a Tenacious but would love a Manix 2 Lightweight or something similar (Chaparral FRN is also a great choice) I’d like to offer to make up the difference. Or I have a purple handle Delica 4 that doesn’t see pocket time I could send you.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    Earl1 and BilboBaggins like this.
  16. Shoopmonster

Shoopmonster Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I tried sending you a message, but it wouldn't let me. Cost of shipping would be fair by me.

Earl1 and BilboBaggins like this.
  17. ucfgrad93

ucfgrad93

Dec 13, 2017
    I'd go with the Native 5 LW. Great knife, under $100.

Earl1 likes this.
  18. Earl1

Earl1

May 11, 2016
    My email is [email protected]. If you can shoot me an email would appreciate it

19. Earl1

Earl1

May 11, 2016
    That is such a generous offer. I don't really know what to say. I'm not able to buy anything right now but I am leaning heavily toward the manix 2 lighyweight. I just don't have the money just yet. I figure that and the grip I have left should do me for a good while. I have sold everything else as far as knives except a cryo and a cryo 2. I may still have a Kershaw Emerson. I an on selling or trading those soon. I figure a couple k ives are all I need right now till I get to the point of being able to do more. GOD BLESS YOU FOR WHAT YOU ARE OFFERING TO DO. It touches my heart so much to see such generosity . Please feel free to message me anytime at my email it is [email protected].

20. ATJ999

ATJ999 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2013
    I have bought a few of the Spyderco BYRD series folders. I have been blown away by the performance of the 8Cr13MoV steel. For how easy it is to sharpen, it holds an edge insanely well. It might just be this specific batch of folders I bought, but they are holding a high sharpness edge better than a lot of my high end steels. Great HT! For the price too, amazing!
    If the Tenacious has the same HT, I would not have a problem buying one at all.

Earl1 likes this.