New Stone Please

Good Morning/ afternoon everyone. I am currently looking for 1 or two stones. I used to use a worksharp or an Norton India stone followed by a strop. Moved recently and don't have any of my things with me yet. I have got a temporary sodbuster in cv and a cowboy in Aeb-l from Horsewright in the making. I am now in need of some sharpening equipment. I don't need a scary sharp polished edge and maintain regularly with stropping after daily use, so would like a good working edge. ( they get lots of use)
Would I be fine with the norton India stone again or what two shapton pros would you reccomend? Prefer oil to water and don't want to have a 10 stone setup. I also am a fan of ceramic. Any advice or reccomendations is appreciated. Thank you.

Get a basic Lansing system, add a fine diamond hone - probably less than $30 total and call it done. Just my 2 cents:D

Get a large Spyderco coarse (gray) stone. IIRC, it is approximately equivalent to 400 grit and would work well with the Case Cr-V or AEB-L. For higher alloy steels I would go with diamonds.

I've been doing all maintenance with a coffee mug for a couple of months and I've been very happy with the results. It's a lot easier to setup and put away than my Edge Pro Apex or bench stones.

If you like oil instead of water & your other knives are of similar steel to your Sodbuster, why not a combo stone? An Arkansas Soft/Black stone? Great follow up to a Norton India.
The best remaining company for that is Dan's Whetstone.

You would do fine with something from Norton if you like them. Or something from FortyTwoBlades. It's almost sacrilege in the sharpening world to say this, but I'm not a huge fan of Norton's offerings. I know it is just me and the decades of mass lines of loyal customers confirm that, it's just that for whatever reason, I don't do so well with them. I do alright, but not great. But, lucky for all of us, there's a hooping bunch of options out there!

Me? I'd get a 300-400 grit diamond, then a soft Arkansas, then a black Arkansas. In that order if I couldn't afford it all at once. Dan's has great stuff but there are other options out there. I like Arkansas stones for the "softer" steels but I also really like the aggressive edge off a course diamond. Often I'll just use that and then strop. Not sure I would on something as beautiful as one of Horsewright's pieces. I guess if it was a user I probably would. Congrats by the way, he makes beautiful stuff!

If you like oil instead of water & your other knives are of similar steel to your Sodbuster, why not a combo stone? An Arkansas Soft/Black stone? Great follow up to a Norton India.
The best remaining company for that is Dan's Whetstone.
My other knives that are headed this way are m-390, s30v, s90v, 02 bh, and another Horsewright in Damascus. You are saying the Arkansas soft/black after the India stone if I go that route ? Thanks

You would do fine with something from Norton if you like them. Or something from FortyTwoBlades. It's almost sacrilege in the sharpening world to say this, but I'm not a huge fan of Norton's offerings. I know it is just me and the decades of mass lines of loyal customers confirm that, it's just that for whatever reason, I don't do so well with them. I do alright, but not great. But, lucky for all of us, there's a hooping bunch of options out there!

Me? I'd get a 300-400 grit diamond, then a soft Arkansas, then a black Arkansas. In that order if I couldn't afford it all at once. Dan's has great stuff but there are other options out there. I like Arkansas stones for the "softer" steels but I also really like the aggressive edge off a course diamond. Often I'll just use that and then strop. Not sure I would on something as beautiful as one of Horsewright's pieces. I guess if it was a user I probably would. Congrats by the way, he makes beautiful stuff!

Thank you, I will check out Dan's, it's come up a few times. Are all the Arkansas stones the same or is there different branding associated? He does have amazing work but yes definitely a user and my favorite by far.

Back