New stuff soon!

leatherman

leathermoderator
Got some new stuff coming off the bench for pics soon!

Things are moving painfully slow right now, but they are moving! :D

One very special pair of sheaths with carving and exotic inlays are getting close to picture taking, the boar would be proud.

Also a few more open spine NMFSH sheaths are getting done, as well as a few more Walking Dead tribute sheaths. Two of which are a bit on the different side. :)

More to come as I slog through the backlog, no machine and a death in the family are not conducive to good production. :(

We WILL get through this, been through a LOT worse. Believe me, this is nothing. I wont forget those who have helped, and I wont forget those who are determined to make my life difficult (because theirs apparently isnt so bright and shiny) :p

Thanks for everyone, without our supporters and customers we would not be here. THANK YOU!

Let me know if there's anything I can do for you, Dwayne!

Help me get rid of this artists block I seem to have towards a certain NMFBM sheath. I do have some inspirational pics for you to look at though, I need to get them either taken or scanned in.

Haha, I might be able to help with that :foot: Would a hard deadline help? Ideas in a week or two or whenever is most comfortable to you, and I can pick?
Then, for the actual handcrafting, you can take your time?

I was looking through a book today, Arms and Armor of the Samurai, and came across some absolutely stunning Tsuba. I wonder if we can incorporate that type of thinking into that top part of the sheath. Tsuba makers/artists really could make a whole story come to life in a very small space. I also found a Samurai mask with a bird face, wonderful stuff!

I also came across a Crane Katana from Bugei, HOLY CRAP I found my grail! Way back I am a member of the Crane Household, old story but worth telling someday. http://bugei.com/crane-katana-601-prd1.htm

The grain pattern in that sword set is simply amazing.

That's an interesting thought. I remember the custom Team Gemini bowie sheath you made for me. It sort of had ah outline of the blade scribed into the face of the sheath. That was pretty cool, sort of incorporating the blade into the sheath. A tsuba on a sheath kind of follows that. Inscribed art at the opening/collar/throat of the sheath would be cool, but I wonder if the weight of the blade would ever compress it too much and ruin the art.

Is there any sort of skin that's light grayish in color? Something almost completely matte but with changes with the light a bit? Just like the double cut finish? That would probably be a cool look, too. Almost like a window in the sheath through to the blade.

Those swords are awesome, but it'll be a while before I consider them :eek: I got my own troubles over here as well. Can't wait to see all your projects.

Yea, the Bugei swords are so far out of my price range its almost laughable. :p

I'll dig in my box o skins and see whats there, I want to think I still have a bit of grey karung (a very small almost beaded look to the scales) Might have some other stuff as well, I'll take pics. There might be a pic of that karung in my exotic inlay materials thread here.

I dont think compression will be an issue, my leather is very dense and I use two layers on an inlay so its very resistant to mashing, I also use a back shelf for the handle to rest on so its double duty.

I'll be back hopefully this afternoon with some ideas and pics.

Dwayne, I sent an email through the site the other day looking for some simple leather for a SARsquatch. Let me know please!

Hey Lapp_Dance, yea, I got it and hopefully will get back with you today on it. We've been in and out of the house lately with the daughter doing a play. She is playing agent 13 in Get Smart. :)

Hey Lapp_Dance, yea, I got it and hopefully will get back with you today on it. We've been in and out of the house lately with the daughter doing a play. She is playing agent 13 in Get Smart. :)

Nice. Beautiful day here in MI, my 3yr old is going to his first ever soccer game, and I'm stuck at work. Enjoy the time out, and I'll look to hear back from you soon, no rush.

Gotcha covered! Ah soccer, the daughter has been in soccer for some time, she does prefer volley ball though, less contact. ;)

Oh btw, if anyone has a SARsquatch and are interested in letting it go, I'd love to have one again. I have some blades, a McGizmo anodized aluminum PD in mint condition with ti bezel, and a few other things I could let go instead. Lets talk. I dont mind used, but if its ground on a bit to change the profile I cant use it. :( Its for sheath work.

That's an interesting thought. I remember the custom Team Gemini bowie sheath you made for me. It sort of had ah outline of the blade scribed into the face of the sheath. That was pretty cool, sort of incorporating the blade into the sheath. A tsuba on a sheath kind of follows that. Inscribed art at the opening/collar/throat of the sheath would be cool, but I wonder if the weight of the blade would ever compress it too much and ruin the art.

Is there any sort of skin that's light grayish in color? Something almost completely matte but with changes with the light a bit? Just like the double cut finish? That would probably be a cool look, too. Almost like a window in the sheath through to the blade.

Those swords are awesome, but it'll be a while before I consider them :eek: I got my own troubles over here as well. Can't wait to see all your projects.

Got to digging last night, my favorite TV network for then went out from the storm (no Svengoolie can make a person twitchy :p ) and came up with some gray stuff: karung, what we think/know is elephant, Shark (its a bit mottled in color but I've been able to stain it any shade I want so far) I also have some beaver tail, not sure if I have enough for that beast or not. Cant find the full piece I thought I had. I also have some undyed whip snake, I've been able to use a black antique and get a nice gray.

Got at least three different effects with antique stains this week, I'm really having fun with this stuff!

The effects differ with how many times I apply the stain, and how its applied, and AND what type of leather its applied to.

I've got several on the stitching table today, hopefully to be stitched tomorrow. Pics to come shortly. If all goes well by the weekend.

Sounds interesting, Dwayne. Always interested in your mottling and staining ! ;)

Back