New tester inbound

JTknives

Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com
Well I figured we have grown enough to justify an upgrade to our hardness tester. After much discussion with the wife why I needed a new toy I mean tool we took the plunge. I have never owned a brand new still in the crate hardness tester so I was quite excited.
We wanted to be able to increase the resolution of the hardness numbers we report to our customers. So we settled on buying a Digital automatic hardness tester made by INSIZE that has a resolution of .1HRC which will be very nice to have. It is scheduled to be delivered on the 5th which is also the date the new laser engraver should also be delivered. The old willson 3JR has served us well over the years but for our volume we wanted something newer as well as a bigger tax write-off. Here is a picture of model we bought.
463K85_AW01

New toys are always good!! You are going to have a fun week when all the new toys get delivered!

Congrats on the new..... tool :) You mention resolution of 0.1, did it mention the ± accuracy?

Very cool. I enjoy reading the updates here to your business. Getting a batch ready to send ya soon.

It has a cool calibration feature where it takes 5 readings and then asks for you the hardness of the year block. It then uses those numbers to zero the tester to be as accurate to the block as possible.

Figured I would up date this with the news.

looks like a very nice and sturdy crate.
Photo%20May%2010%2C%2010%2031%2038%20AM.jpg

After removing all the foam it was clear it was dropped on its face. The hardness tester was surrounded with foam but thy managed to drop it or tip it onto the side with the dial. The cast iron bezel is broken and loose.
Photo%20May%2010%2C%2010%2032%2029%20AM.jpg

removing the outside crate and checking the dial reveals that’s it’s smashed. And there was loose parts under it and it was no longer attached to the crate base.
Photo%20May%2010%2C%2010%2033%2012%20AM.jpg

So now I’m fighting with ups as I had 5k if insurance/declared value added to it. I have Bever has to file a claim with ups so we will se what happens. Have any of you guys had to and if so got any advice on how to deal with them?

Thy told me I had to deliver it to them to inspect. I told them bill shit, I’m not letting a item of this value out of my sight. And that thy need to send an on site inspector. I have read about stories where once inspected thy will ship it back to the shipped from address and then try and deny the claim. Yeah not happening. The big issue is this crate is over weight. The seller took it to the ups hub and thy shipped it and he paid. Well their limit is 150lbs and this is 201lbs. That’s why I had to go pick it up from my hub. But the lady on the phone was trying to tell me thy could not inspect it local and I had to pay for freight to the inspection place. I told her no I need on sight inspection. She said it over weight so thy can’t do that. I said here at my shop, send your guy to look at it. She said there people can’t handle items over 150lbs. I said thy don’t need to handle it, it’s out of the crate and maybe 150lbs by it’s self. Well I don’t know sir it’s over weight. I said your company ups Accepted it so it’s your issue figure it out.

Last edited:
WOw!!! That really sucks! What did the company say about it that you bought it from? Maybe it needs to be packed better?

WOw!!! That really sucks! What did the company say about it that you bought it from? Maybe it needs to be packed better?
I bought it from SKF bearing manufacture. Thy bought it and never opened it. So it’s factory packaged from the manufacture. Thy opened the top to take pictures to send to me and show that everything was in there and good. So I have all that as proof.

To survive fall from plane ? :(
These signs should mean something to UPS !! Unbelievably.........................
ZzLCTgP.jpg

Well, I know the broken glass symbol is supposed to indicate fragile contents. Perhaps they thought the non-broken one on this box indicates it's unbreakable. 😳

After hearing about this, and the Greg Cimms filet knife issue with UPS, I will NEVER do business with them as long as I live, or as long as they stay in business. Which doesn't sound like a long time from now if UPS keeps this crap up. Sorry to hear about this and I hope you can get this resolved ASAP.

After hearing about this, and the Greg Cimms filet knife issue with UPS, I will NEVER do business with them as long as I live, or as long as they stay in business. Which doesn't sound like a long time from now if UPS keeps this crap up. Sorry to hear about this and I hope you can get this resolved ASAP.
I consider myself a very lucky man......seven or eight years ago , I ordered expensive fishing rod from California . I waited half a year for it to be made after payment .Shipped from California to New York and then in shipping container right to Macedonia. Now I wonder how she survived it all, wrapped in plain cardboard.....8.6 long one piece rod ?

Wow! That box is heavy duty, hopefully UPS mans up about it! I had my AmeriBrade Grinder go MIA at the FedEx hub in CT for over a week; they said it was out for delivery twice and it never showed. Took over a week of calling to get it found and delivered. 100# box, shipping companies hate the heavy boxes and treat them poorly.

A dozen years ago or so, when I lived in a different house, I got a notification from UPS that a sword I'd ordered had been delivered and signed for. Since I was the only one home, and had no delivery, I started making calls. UPS sent me a photo of the signed doc, showing the signature, and said they were no longer responsible. I did a little research, and found that someone with the signer's name (thank God he had a readable signature) worked in the mailroom at McGeorge School of Law, about half a mile away from me. So I phoned them, sorted it out, and went over and picked it up. I will never trust UPS after that.

I hope this works out for you.

-Tyson

Back