new to bladesmithing

im a AWS fabricator/welder and composites technician by trade. so naturally I found my way to custom knives, over the last year I started to dabble in blades.

my first knife - mystery high carbon, EDC rough finish tanto, full tang pine handle with stainless pins, brass guard and striker pommel with brass pins.
g0jku8nle9i21.jpg

my second knife - simonds nucut #80 stock removal, sheeps foot utility style, hidden tang, mahogany handle with a tru oil/canadian whiskey stain.
3qtgqr9svtj21.jpg

third knife - nickolson mill bastard stock removal, tanto blade with forced tiger stripe patina *WIP not sure on handle yet...*
nztg3m0df7m21.jpg

Welcome to The Darkside Bro, you've been bitten by the bug. It only gets worse or better depending LOL keep posting your progress I'm very new to myself and if I could give you any advice is if you want to make serious knives even just for fun get a 2 x 72 grinder. You're a fabricator / Hands-On type guy so I know you know the value of using the proper tool for a job. You can get them brand new for about 1,400 bucks. I know that seems like a lot but if you want to make knives you're going to need a decent grinder. What makes the 2 x 72 the cat's ass in my humble opinion simple. The variety of belts available to do different jobs is unmatched. And with 6-foot of abrasive coming around the wheel your belts last longer, stay cooler, and do a better job. Don't know if I'll get in trouble for this but I bought the AMK model. American made. Do a search I won't post a link I think it's frowned upon here.

yeah a belt grinder is about the only thing I dont own for doing knives. its first on my list, then a portable bandsaw. all these were made with just a 4" angle grinder, drill press, dremel, a few files and an orbital.

2x2 twill weave arbonfiber scales with temporary aluminum bonding screws(havent decided on brass tubes or stainless inset screws yet) on the nickolson mill bastard tanto
etbles.jpg

302s7kk.jpg

Last edited:
Back