New to collecting... Hell of a forum you have here! *updated*

For me I've been carrying the CRK Mnandi, Alox Cadet and Two Sun Micro. Around the house it's been a BM 940 and Spyderco Mule which I rotate sometimes to a Milli or Endura!

First off, I have to say sorry to cchu518 cchu518 , I owe you some answers to your questions! I've been dealing with some medical issues so I haven't been as active on here as I would like to be the last couple months. I still lurk every day though! I decided to do the big update on my one year anniversary here and will answer your questions in detail at that time!

It's funny... In two weeks, I'll have been a part of the forum for a year and I'm in exactly the same place as when I started. Sitting at home waiting on a damn shoulder surgery (albeit with a lot more knives to keep me company). Take care of your joints people!

Now I have to apologize to everyone else who happens to be reading this, because this is going to be a LONG one!

I've picked up several knives since my last update, and as usual I'm waiting on four or five to ship too, lol. More to come later about those. I also sent my Landi MPS to @Brian77 of Haw Creek Bladeworks to have a little steel work done and be rehandled. I'm VERY excited about that!

Now on to the new knives!

First up is a Buck Bantom 285. This was a gift from my baby brother who knows I like (understatement?) Buck knives. I feel that $70 - $130 is my sweet spot for a good edc typically, so this isn't a knife I would have checked out had he not gifted it to me. I'm really glad he did! It has really reminded me that you don't need to spend $100+ on a knife to get something that cuts well and gets the job done. This is a really solid knife and offers a lot of value. Buck's very capable 420HC, good ergonomics, made in the USA, all for a very low price. Pretty cool.

ENmbxiv.jpg

2FDBhM7.jpg

Next is one of those knives I just had to try because of how many times it has been recommended to me. The Spyderco Manix 2! This one in particular was the DLT Trading exclusive with red G10 and CPM-20CV steel. It's a pretty rad knife. I see why it gets all the love! Unfortunately, my hands are tiny and it was just waaay to big for me. Glad I checked it out though!

44CxsY8.jpg

P0wd7gS.jpg

bmBbBgx.jpg

Next is another gift. This one from my wife for Valentine's Day. I love that lady.

It's a Becker Knife & Tool BK62. All I can say is wow! What a knife! This knife is about as close as you can get to an exact replica of the knife that Horace Kephart (widely regarded as the Grandfather of American bushcraft) designed and carried. It features a 1095 Cro-Van blade in the distinctive Kephart shape and American Black Walnut scales. It's a beaut! I really appreciate the tapered tang as you don't see it a lot in mass produced knives in this price range. The knife has fantastic balance and cuts like a champ! I can't wait to put it to work as a camp kitchen knife! After doing the math, I found I spent nearly a two full months last year camping or overnight hiking/hunting so I think this will get plenty of work (if I can get this damn surgery and recover). I included a shot of it in hand so you can see the baby mitts I'm working with.

Wuuikbl.jpg

pVP3NN8.jpg

NJwkgr3.jpg

u0FMiXa.jpg

Next is one I've been hunting for for awhile! A Case Sway Back in jigged chestnut bone and most importantly, CV steel! Thanks to a couple of awesome forum members, I was alerted that this was up on the exchange and was able to snag it. I like it as much as I thought I would, it's a really great knife. The double blade gives it a nice substantial feel in the hand while still keeping the knife very small and pocketable. I find a wharncliffe and spear point to be the absolute best setup on a dual bladed knife although I do prefer a longer spear and shorter wharncliffe as opposed to the other way around like on the Sway Back (one day I WILL own a Eureka Jack dangit!). The fit and finish is great and the jigging is very well done (as usual with Case). I do wish I had a chance to put my own patina on this knife rather than purchasing one that's been pre-loved though. :(

FVSQkBc.jpg

8WFqyNs.jpg

oZKjq1a.jpg

Well wouldn't you know it... About a month after purchasing the used Sway Back, I was able to source a brand new, unused model! I find the coloring of the bone on this one to be even more beautiful than the last. I can't wait until it builds up it's own natural patina. Score!

buaaz1P.jpg

7xYFnq5.jpg

This next "toy" came with the Kephart my wife got for me. It's a DMT F/C Diafold two sided diamond sharpener to go along with my Spyderco Double Stuff to round out my camping sharpening setup. I had previously been using a Fallkniven DC4 and was just craving something a bit more versatile (dual diamond sides). This fits the bill perfectly and has been working great. Highly recommended.

Ioyq4UP.jpg

y1PE0Dh.jpg

I got this for Christmas (wife again). It's not really knife related, but it was purchased specifically to be paired with my Leatherman Charge TTi so I thought it was fitting to show it off here. It's a SureFire Titan Plus flashlight. It features a titanium body and three lumen settings; 15, 75, and 300... On a AAA battery (which allows it to fit perfectly in my Leatherman sheath)! I don't imagine I'll be using the 300 lumen setting much (it's crazy bright), but it's nice to know I have it available as a signal if I ever get lost (I carry the Leatherman, a SAK Huntsman, and fixed blade at all times in the woods).

Ss9w3Ad.jpg

Next is a little guy that I've had for quite some time now. The Spyderco Dragonfly in V-Toku2 steel! GREAT little knife that punches way above it's size. I purchased this specifically to be a "desk knife" along with my ZDP-189 Ladybug (letter opener) to open boxes and stuff while I'm at my computer desk (which has been more than I'd like with this damn shoulder injury). I 100% fully understand the following this knife has. It's like the Chaparral, deceptively capable and comfortable. I've since removed the pocket clip since it lives on my desk and have been enjoying watching the patina form.

Rw9QlWF.jpg

N6lawdp.jpg

Next is a nifty little ferro rod I picked up to go with the custom sheath I picked up for my Morakniv Garberg Carbon. This thing is really cool! It has a little waterproof chamber at the top that allows you to place tinder in.

IatiiNh.jpg

Last edited:
Next we have my new biking companions! A Spyderco Salt 2 Wharncliffe with a Spydie Edge and a Classic Sak to go with it. I live about a mile and a half from my work so I tend to bike on a regular basis and also do a lot of mountain biking for fun. Living on the bay in the Pacific Northwest I deal with some wet weather as you can imagine. Because of this I figured H1 would be just the ticket! Especially since it may be thrown in the bike bag and forgotten about for extended periods occasionally. I decided to go with the serrated version since I bike near the docks and figure I am more likely to have to cut rope as well as the increased chances of having to cut something like a seat belt or animal loose while urban biking. I went with the wharncliffe shape because I'm a wharncliffe junkie and because if worst comes to worst, it's a great shape for self defense (I know, I know). The SAK is there in case I need the scissors (bike tubes, etc), tweezers, or file. Darn thing is useful!

3FeZ1Zx.jpg

OwxlHU0.jpg

OiDWPjo.jpg

And this is just a shot of my Spyderco wharncliffes. What great knives! I just picked up some gray RIT dye so I can try my hand at darkening the G10 scales on the 3rd one down. I'm hoping to get it closer to the look of the Benchmade 555-1 I picked up awhile back. Not pictured is the backup HAP40 Wharncliffe I keep in the safe, lol (the question isn’t why do I have five Spyderco warncliffes... It’s why don’t YOU?!).

tpR3nUd.jpg

Then we have a bit of a letdown... My wife LOVES her SOG Field Pup. So much so that I am currently looking for someone to rehandle her Field Pup in linen micarta (thread about that in the KnifeMaker's subforum, lol), which isn't as easy to find as one would think apparently. Since my wife has the old AUS-8 version made in Taiwan and they are getting harder to find (the new version is made with 7cr17mov in China), I decided to pick up a backup in case she lost hers or it was damage/lost while getting a new handle made. Unfortunately the seller misrepresented the knife (it wasn't here) and sold me a newer 7cr version (thread about THAT in the SOG subforum, lol). Of course he made sure to charge me a premium since he stated it was the rarer AUS-8 version. Anyways... Here's a pic of the new version and old version side by side (old AUS-8 version on the bottom). Surprisingly there are a lot more difference between the two than I thought.

qX9dyc1.jpg

This next knife caught me off guard, I wasn't expecting to like it nearly as much as I do. It's a Buck 55. I picked this up to replace the Buck 505 I had previously purchased and sold (too small). I thought it would be a nice happy-medium between the Buck 505 and my beloved Buck 112. Bingo! I've been carrying it much more than expected and have plans on picking up a "premium" version the moment I see one drop.

AbM7jm4.jpg

oFS759Y.jpg

Last edited:
This next one is a real "gem" and is now a part of my permanent collection. It's some sort of anti-personnel device that maims anyone who tries to handle it. Highly effective! It features an awesome dragon design to tempt you into handling it and linerlocks for added effectiveness at maiming (just try to safely disengage those suckers)! What makes this special is that it came from our very own NickShabazz NickShabazz (thanks?)! But seriously, thanks Nick, the wife and I found it very amusing (especially since we had recently watched the unboxing of it, lol)! Keep on doing what you do!

FLQsViA.jpg

dmHZ0Mi.jpg

YQjpqK8.jpg

Next we have a knife that was just passing through. It was recently gifted to a friend's wife who manages a gas station and wanted something "dark, pointy and fun to play with". I thought this would be perfect! It's a Kershaw Leek Blackwash Composite. I LOVE Leeks so it was hard to let this one go, but I had a standard composite Leek in the past and couldn't justify keeping it around when I had a Carbon Fiber Leek that gets regular use. If they ever come out with a Blackwash Leek in an exotic steel, I'm jumping all over it. I'm really surprised by how good the blackwash finish looks. I do wish the copper vein would have been more visible though.

mfS5gfV.jpg

EvTOkUl.jpg

Next is just a handy little sharpener to go in the tackle box. I had seen the larger versions of these in the past but somehow had missed that there was a smaller version too. 0_o I like that it has a hook sharpener built in and it should be able to handle any of the jobs I'd throw at it while fishing no prob.

oasQ4Pz.jpg

Next is a replacement SAK Huntsman for the wife. I had previously picked her up a secondhand model, but found this brand new one for cheap before she had a chance to use the other one. I figure I might as well let her put her own bumps and bruises on the scales and blades and gave the other one away. This one had the added bonus of coming with a sheath. :)

qZm4XeD.jpg

Next we have another knife that really caught me off guard, the Cold Steel Tuff Lite (thanks for the suggestion @Smaug!). This thing is an absolute workhorse of a design and feels great in the hand. I really feel like the AUS-8 is holding it back from being something fantastic though. This knife is basically a reusable box knife with very thick stock, so while I appreciate the fine edge AUS-8 can take, it falls short in other areas. I would really like to see this knife in a couple different flavors. One would keep the blade stock really thick and would use a really tough carbon or stainless steel and would allow construction/warehouse workers to cut through straps and abrasive material without worrying about damaging their blade. The other would feature much thinner blade stock and a nice steel with great edge holding ability like CPM-20CV and would allow someone to have a box knife that keeps an edge for days of heavy use.

27fTPi8.jpg

5FIdWz2.jpg

Next up is a knife I had a lot of hope for, but it hasn't panned out. It's the CRKT Pilar (my first CRKT) in G10 and D2 steel. The ergonomics are great and I like the blade shape, unfortunately I am just really underwhelmed by the flipping action. The detent is a bit weak and I can only get it to fully engage with heavy wrist movement about 75% of the time. I also think the frame lock needs to be raised about a millimeter as it's a bit difficult for me to disengage at times. Maybe it'll break in, but idk. It also seems to only work as a "push button" flipper and won't engage at all if I use it "light switch style". One of these days a D2 knife is going to work out for me (maybe the upcoming Buck 104 being made?). :(

MZbHtrc.jpg

Next we have a hot one! The Spyderco Smock! It's a very impressive knife and if you have any interest in the design, I highly suggest you grab one when they become available again. The button compression lock is a game changer when it comes to fidgeting! I really hope we see this lock featured on more Spyderco's in the future. The fit and finish on my specimen was absolutely stunning. Great lines, great action, great everything. Something about the grind of this knife really got me excited. It looks SO good. It (like the Manix 2) was just too big unfortunately and wouldn't be used so it had to go. :( I was really sad to see it go and regretted it almost at once... But what can ya do. Folders over 3.25" or so just don't get used by me. :(

PiEPRPp.jpg

qBFBuQ2.jpg

Jr6XIk6.jpg

S2A3PZQ.jpg

Bonus video of that sweet Smock action!

Alright... That's all I have in me for tonight, I'm off to bed.

Goodnight BladeForums!

Last edited:
I see you enjoy the Buck 55 I did too, until I lost mine, I would also recommend the Buck 501 it is slightly larger but still a great compact size but you do trade the clip point for a drop point. The other bonus to the 501 is you can purchase some nicer variations on it.

The finger self-removal device reminds me of the master of the flying guilotine. It was a classic we watched at spring break track training camp each year in college.
HAHA another all time classic! Around the NYC area, the Shaw Brother movies were shown on Channel 5 and they called it Sunday at the Drive In every Sunday at 3PM was Kung Fu movie day for me, I'd get upset if I didn't get back home from church and shopping on time to catch it when I was a little kid.

Regarding that anti personnel device.... You gotta watch the movie Krull from the 80s!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B000H12ISY

Haha, I just checked out some clips on YouTube and I totally remember watching that movie on HBO as a child! I'll have to rewatch to learn how to master the glaive, lol!

I see you enjoy the Buck 55 I did too, until I lost mine, I would also recommend the Buck 501 it is slightly larger but still a great compact size but you do trade the clip point for a drop point. The other bonus to the 501 is you can purchase some nicer variations on it.

Yea, I'm really liking the 55, it's a nice little knife! Honestly, I think the spear point was part of the reason I couldn't get into the Buck 505. It doesn't make a lot of sense considering a spear point is more useful to me than a clip point in a knife like this, but there's something about the classic lines of a clip point on a Buck classic folder that I just love.

I still definitely want to give the 501 a try though. I've been giving some thought to picking up an SK "Goodfella".

"Nice" "Knife"! And thanks for the support :)

Haha, it's a beaut!

And absolutely! Thank YOU for providing us with hours of entertainment with your knife reviews... And more importantly, in my opinion, thank you for all the work you do towards improving the industry with things like "Knife Gripes"... And even MORE importantly, thank you for the ongoing charity drives to help victims of domestic abuse as well as animal shelters. It's really cool to see someone using their spotlight for good.

I have the SK Goodfella and I love it the look and feel of it are great and for my it is mostly an office carry dropped in my pocket in a slip.

I have the SK Goodfella and I love it the look and feel of it are great and for my it is mostly an office carry dropped in my pocket in a slip.

That's good to hear! I'll likely snag one here soon.

SK has some pretty great offerings coming out this year... I hope that screw together design he's bringing out for the 110 works its way into other models!

Alright, time to start getting ready for my one year update.

First up... Resizing all of my photos so that they actually fit on the screen for people not using a 4k monitor. Ooof.

After that... Reorganizing and updating the first post of this thread so that the pictures of all the knives I've picked up and a short summary all fit within the picture and character limit. Double ooof.

Let this be a lesson to everyone reading this to do things right the first time.

Just a short update today since I'm still working on resizing all my pictures (at least this forum makes it easy to swap out photo links).

Two new knives came in over the past couple days!

About a month ago, my wife and I were talking about my knife collection and she was telling me how she gets it and compares knives to jewelry. She ended the conversation by saying something about how it would be cool if they made a "tiny, cute knife that was like jewelry" that she could keep at her desk (she was admiring the Dragonfly and Ladybug I keep at my desk).

Enter the Hummingbird! My wife's favorite color is purple. These typically only come solid colors (blue, pink, gray, or green), but @Massdrop had an exclusive drop to get one in dual anodized colors so I jumped on a green and purple version.

All in all, it's pretty nice! Damasteel damascus, anodized titanium frame, and surprisingly good flipping action. Best of all my wife absolutely loves it. :D

The anodizing job isn't perfect. The green ran a little too far in a couple spots, but for $80 I'm finding it very hard to complain.

HCsQ3zl.jpg

nVtpj8P.jpg

Next we have something I picked up to kill my curiosity. I absolutely love the Kershaw Leek. Love it. Lately though, assisted opening knives have been falling out of favor with me. There's just something about an unassisted flipper that has a smooth action that is really satisfying. Unfortunately an unassisted Leek doesn't exist. I know you can remove the backspring, but it doesn't seem ideal.

I thought this would be the next best thing!

It's a CRKT Eros. It was designed by Ken Onion (just like the Leek) and has a very similar profile. The coolest part is that it's unassisted and runs on the IKBS. The steel is AUS-8 which may not be exciting... But is still appreciated by me because of how nice of an edge I can put on it.

This little guy has really surprised me with how great of a knife it is! It doesn't quite scratch the unassisted Leek itch for me because even though they look VERY similar, the ergonomics feel quite different (to me at least). I also prefer the pocket clip and blade shape on the Leek over the pocket clip and blade on the Eros. Overall though, it's a really nice knife and the flipping action on mine in fantastic. CRKT also make a milled titanium handled version that uses Acuto+ steel which is supposed to be a very slightly improved 440C (another favorite of mine)... I might have to pick one up!

EsrWf7L.jpg

f1JA2MP.jpg

s88h8He.jpg

Well, back to resizing photos and whatnot.

Have a good night BladeForums!

Are the cf scales on the leek slippery?

Not at all.

The Leek has a nice, grippy matte feel. Way grippier than the "carbon fiber" on the Rat 2 D2 and also grippier than the carbon fiber on the Massdrop Gent if you've ever handled one of those. In fact, other than the highly textured G10/carbon fiber laminate that Spyderco uses on things like the Smock and Mantra 3, the carbon fiber on the Leek is the grippiest I've handled.

Finally finished!

I went and resized all the photos in this thread so that they would be more easily viewable for people not using a giant monitor. I also updated the original post with collages of all the knives that have come and gone since I started on the forum almost a year ago. Kind of tricky with the character and picture limit. I lost a bit of image quality since I used MS Paint to resize them, but oh well. The higher quality versions are still in the thread.

Over the next couple weeks I am going to make a big anniversary post going over what I've learned and also answering the questions about my impressions, what I like and why... As well as my absolute favorites for EDC vs things I just had to try/have.

Thanks for coming along on the ride!

Oh, I also picked up a new driver/bit kit to go along with my Wiha set. I spend a lot more time tinkering with knives than I expected and have run into a couple cases (like free floating pivots) where having multiple torx bits in the same size is very useful. I also spend a stupid amount of time messing with computers and my bike, so I figured more tools couldn't hurt.

This is an IFixIt 112 piece Manta kit and has basically everything you could possibly need. Including two of the smoothest spinning screwdrivers I've ever owned. I really like supporting IFixIt. Not only because they put out very useful guides and make a high quality (lifetime warrantied) product... But also because they consistently fight for the consumers right to fix their own products (like phones and computers). I really appreciate that.

hXJUTOH.jpg

Have a good day BladeForums!

Last edited:
Kind of a fun one today!

I still have a gigantic "one year later" post coming soon, but I'm waiting to get a few knives back from being worked on before I do so. I'm also still waiting on my (hopefully) last shoulder surgery. The insurance company didn't like that the surgeon and my occupational health doctor both recommended surgery so they're sending me to get a THIRD opinion. L&I is so fun.

On the plus side... I've been keeping myself busy.

The G10 Delica scales I had made turned out a bit lighter than I would have liked. I was hoping for something a bit closer to the G10 on the Benchmade 555-1. Rit dye to the rescue (maybe)! I'm going to give this a go a bit later today, we'll see how it goes. I'll be sure to post my results for better or worse, lol.

k1wh28a.jpg

I really liked how the handle on my Opinel 7 turned out, so I've decided to give my Morakniv Classic 611 the same treatment. The swell on the handle is just a bit too big for my hand so I'm going to tone that down. I'll probably bring it more in line with the size of the plastic handled Mora's as they fit my hand really well. Strangely enough, this knife is a favorite of mine and I'm really excited to have a more custom fit. I'm not excited for the two dozen+ coats of tung oil I'll be applying...

tzjmD4F.jpg

Next is just a little something I forgot to post about last month. A while back my wife mentioned that she didn't like the nylon sheath that came with the Buck 119 that we purchased at the Buck store in Idaho... Came home a few days later and noticed this was sitting on the bar waiting for me. The burgundy color goes really well with the cocobolo. :D

egdPKFs.jpg

Next we have the Massdrop exclusive Spyderco Delica with Super Gold 2 steel! I've been waiting for a Delica to come out in a really fun steel so I can add one to my permanent "collection". I'm pretty sure I've found it. This thing is a beaut! The grind lines are really well done and it is SHARP! I have a feeling this is going to become a highly sought after Delica in the next few years. I'm currently looking for some bronze/goldish hardware that will match the backlock, but I'm not having a lot of luck. You would think with heated steel, anodized titanium, TiNi, powder coating, and cerakote all being options, that someone would offer something... Then I'll just have to decide if I want to go with gold hardware and wood scales or carbon fiber Boomer Lil'Para scales.

UhJLRP1.jpg

vSKT5rm.jpg

U4u3YNm.jpg

Now the exciting (to me at least) stuff!

It's time. I'm sending the Factor Iconic Titanium Compact in to me professionally anodized. I'm thinking a nice vibrant blue. But before that happens the gaudy "F" needs to go. I have some Whink's rust remover and Brillo pads on hand. I also ordered an extra fine medium which will be here in a day or two. I'm going to try that first and then go from there. Wish me luck!

VQim20D.jpg

Next we have a little Kershaw Blur project I'm working on (thanks @BrokenLinx and @catmath 1911). The Tanto blade and black Trac-Tec inserts will be going into the brown handle and given to a friend. The Elmax (heck yes!) blade will be paired with the black handle, and then I have something really special in the works for the inserts. Shout out to @incaorchid for making that happen! More to come on that later.

cGQdFuL.jpg

And last, but most certainly not least... I have something REALLY special going on with Landi MPS! Thank you to Brian Ehst (@Brian77) of Haw Creek Blades for working with me on this. I don't want to post too much until it's finished, but here's a little taste (yes I have more pictures, yes it's is freaking beautiful).

7kJkmVk.jpg

8jt3gsG.jpg

h4coRml.jpg

HxClHO0.jpg

Well, I think that's all for today. Have a happy Friday BladeForums!

Last edited:
Back