1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

New to forum.. old in age

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by Stuffer, May 19, 2019.

1. Stuffer

Stuffer Basic Member Basic Member

May 19, 2019
    This whole forum thing is new to so be gentile on me. ( not to gentile.. i’m 68 years old and a taxidermist so I can handle a little abuse) After realizing that buck started using a “more user friendly steel ..420 HC (yeah I know why I’m just figuring it out now is beyond me too) I am ready to come back to buck knives. I have gone to mora, dexter Russell and Havalon for working knives but nothing compares to the look, feel and made in America values of buck knives. So humor me please and let me join in! Thanks, Neal

2. turbosquirrel

turbosquirrel Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Welcome! Great folks here. You'll enjoy yourself and learn a thing or two as well! Glad to have ya here!

3. sassafrassdogs3

sassafrassdogs3 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2016
    Welcome to the Buck forum where in most probability you will get the incurable disease called "Buck Fever"....:D:D:D:D

4. OLd_gUY

OLd_gUY Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    I'll go for the "New to the Forum" thing - but "old in age" - not hardly :rolleyes:
    There are plenty of us around here that have you easily beat - 68 ain't nothin' :eek:
    Welcome
    OG

sassafrassdogs3 and pjsjr like this.
  5. Stuffer

May 19, 2019
    Thanks for the “welcome” ....according to the grandkids I classified as a “fossil” looking forward to getting real amswaes to honest questions here. Thanks again.

OLd_gUY likes this.
  6. sassafrassdogs3

sassafrassdogs3 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2016
    No Problem...I have a question; What's an "amswaes"??:confused::confused::D Just kidding.....:D:D

7. Brhowser87

Brhowser87 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 3, 2016
    Welcome. Really good group of people here. And alot of information to be had. Enjoy your time here.

8. Stuffer

May 19, 2019
    To Sassafrassdog 3... I knew somebody would pick up on my spelling error... But Thank you for pointing it out. Now please excuse me while I go have a beer to hide my shame..I’m new here and already enjoying it! Keep it up.

sassafrassdogs3 likes this.
  9. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    Have a couple beers.:)

sassafrassdogs3 likes this.
  10. kossetx

kossetx

Apr 11, 2017
    Howdy Neil, I sometimes have a beer to hide my shame too...and to hide joy, anger, indifference. I have two Mora's. They have nice steel too. Pete

11. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Stuffer, welcome to the Buck Forum. Ask your questions as there are some really good collectors here who can answer them. Buck began to
    phase in 420hc steel in 1992. DM

OLd_gUY likes this.
  12. Stuffer

May 19, 2019
    I wish I had kept up with things at that time. When I was a kid buck knives where the thing to have for hunting knives. Problem back then for kids was trying to sharpen them. The biggest problem was as kids we did’t know how to sharpen a knife in the first place and our fathers were not much help either. In the following years(many of them) I improved my sharpening techniques but was still convinced that buck knives were too hard to sharpen. Now with a little info. The world of buck knives is back in my life. I even bought the flagship 119 special which I love but am still trying to figure out what I will use it for. For right now I am happy just admiring it

13. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Does the wife buy whole chicken, a brisket, roast, a watermelon, cantaloupe, whole catfish, ect.? All these can be cut up using a 119. DM

Hawkeye5 likes this.
  14. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Welcome.
    I love the 420hc Buck uses, it behaves a lot like a basic carbon steel when sharpening.
    Easy to touch up on the bottom ring of a ceramic mug.

Grateful likes this.
  15. jmh33

jmh33 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Welcome!!:D Have fun!! a GREAT group of folks hang out here!!;)
    John

16. jazzz

jazzz

Feb 1, 2009
    Welcome sir, and I'm fairly new myself. Love Buck knives.

Can someone please tell me what steel my circa 1985 112 is sporting? I assumed it was 420HC.

17. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    we're all gettin' old or older....:)

welcome, lookin' forward to your participation here, Sir.......

18. jbmonkey

Jun 9, 2011
    425m unless knife was sitting on shelf since 1981..then 440c. I assume you know it was made in 1985 as it has 2 dots on each side.

19. jazzz

jazzz

Feb 1, 2009
    It says Buck 112 USA with one dot on left and two on right. Couldn’t find that in the dating diagram. Why no mention of dots?

20. jbmonkey

Jun 9, 2011
    191_730_1.jpg

see to the left side on dots....and dates....

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/1982-buck-steel.314303/

see posts number 4 and 5...found with search engine.....

sassafrassdogs3 and KarlG like this.