New to Gossman

I've never had a Randall or Busse, although I do have an RMD. I also have a 5" Tusker in A2, a Tusker Companion in 3V, and I just traded into a Deer Creek in S7. If I had to get rid of all of my knives I'd find a way to keep my Gossman's. Handmade by a craftsman who uses knives. My knife choices are made with quality in mind, but not just the quality of the knife. The quality of the knife maker matters to me as well. Scott Gossman is good people. He's also good people that makes one hell of a knife. Gossman knives are amazing tools made to be used. The Tusker is an awesome knife. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Take a look- https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/tusker-user-group-and-tusker-picture-thread.76174/

I carried a 5.5" Tusker throughout my deployment to Afghanistan. A-2 steel. Served me very well. Still have and love that knife. It's now sort of a safe queen, which is, I suppose, a shame. Gossman's are made to be used.

1igZLEu.jpg

Scott is one of the very few makers who puts a big working handle on a knife. I'll caveat that claim by saying that I do have some big XL hands. If you have small hands, I suppose the handle could seem big. The Tusker is a heavily built knife, and as a result isn't light weight. I don't think you'll find any ultralight hikers carrying a Tusker. My confidence in the Tusker made it worth carrying the slight extra weight.

I've owned a couple of Randall knives and they were fine knives, but I think Scott's knives are better designed and built. Randall does some fancier finishing and uses more dramatic design lines, which is nice. And Scott's may seem more simple in comparison. The difference will become apparent once you use them though. I like his edge geometry, a convex edge on a flat grind, and haven't had any trouble sharpening them. However, they need to be hand sharpened. Tools like Edgepro or Lansky aren't as conducive to sharpening Scott's grind. (Although I suppose you can grind and sharpen it however you want.)

I have two small Busse knives. I think they are highly overrated. I'm not even sure where they are....'cuz I never use them. I have a couple small Gossman knives as well. I carry and use them all the time, because they work well.

If you've traded a Randall or Busse for a Gossman, you've done well. You won't catch me trading one of my Gossman knives for anything.

Scott is good people and someone I gladly call my friend. It's a blessing and a curse in disguise to live about 5 minutes from the man, and about 25 minutes or so from his shop. The man loves his craft, knows more about knife steel/edge geometry etc than many knife makers. Best of all, he is very humble about all of it. Not trying to sound corny, but I've made lots of friends through him too. They taught me that a big knife is not just for chopping, you can use a big knife for fine wood work.

I have bought many knives from him, ashamed to say that I have traded a few of those that I wish I still had. I even won two at his campout, Gosstoberfest. A couple years ago a Tusker carried by a SEAL team in Afghanistan, and this year a Big Boar Tusker, yuge :D. Both of those are going in the ground with me, maybe archaeologists will think that I was a man of high status ;).

I have been spoiled by his knives. I find myself comparing every knife I come across to his. Some people, like Lon Humphrey and Ray Laconico, are close to his craft.

Murman,

I’m of no help to this discussion. Gossman has been on my radar, but I haven’t yet acquired one.

Coming from Busses and Randalls, I’m looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

If you don’t mind sharing, what is your glove size? I wear M and so am a bit concerned the handles may be too large to be comfortable.

Outstanding!

I'd love to hear some first impressions. M4 is a nice steel, although I've never had one of Scott's knives in M4. Be curious to see what you think of the knife design and the steel. Scott's O1 and A2 have always been great for me. I think he was given a billet of O1 as a christening present, but that may just be urban legend.

Outstanding!

I'd love to hear some first impressions. M4 is a nice steel, although I've never had one of Scott's knives in M4. Be curious to see what you think of the knife design and the steel. Scott's O1 and A2 have always been great for me. I think he was given a billet of O1 as a christening present, but that may just be urban legend.
Thanks for your service. Happy veterans day.

I honestly have very little experience actually using my good knives. I've collected expensive knives but used the $20 Walmart knives. I've decided life's too short.

Sorry Murman that I'm just reading your post. I don't post much on BF anymore just lurk. First off thanks to everyone who has posted your kind words. Much appreciated always. Murman I hope you get some good use out of the Tusker. The Tusker family of knives is my most popular. Next would be the Deer Creek and UNK. Your M4 Tusker is hardened and tempered to 63/64 rc and will need diamond abrasives to re-sharpen. Best to do by hand like Rotte said. If you strop, M4 will hold an edge for quite some time. Get out, use it and enjoy. Thanks for your support.
Scott

Sorry Murman that I'm just reading your post. I don't post much on BF anymore just lurk. First off thanks to everyone who has posted your kind words. Much appreciated always. Murman I hope you get some good use out of the Tusker. The Tusker family of knives is my most popular. Next would be the Deer Creek and UNK. Your M4 Tusker is hardened and tempered to 63/64 rc and will need diamond abrasives to re-sharpen. Best to do by hand like Rotte said. If you strop, M4 will hold an edge for quite some time. Get out, use it and enjoy. Thanks for your support.
Scott
Mr Gossman thanks for your reply. Sorry I'm getting it second hand rather than making you some money. I will see if I can't pass it around to some of my guide buddies and get you some attention.

No worries. I appreciate your interest in my work. I've had many folks first Gossman knife come to them second hand. It's a good way to see if you like the knife. Many have become very supportive customers over the years.
Thanks for posting
Scott

Back