New to Knives, New to Blade Forums, wanted to introduce myself

giphy.gif

Thanks Miso2, good info. I don't want to waste money for no reason.

Tommy Chi those are some impressive numbers. I am a gun guy by nature. I have a great collection of guns and I kind of got in to knives due to ammo costs, and I just enjoy the beauty and mechanics of knives... they don't cost money to feed like my custom 1911's or shotguns, haha.

rje58, I agree; there are always opportunities to lose money, I was more insinuating that there is a resale market and I should have a resale value to recoup some of my investment. I wasn't expecting to make my money back or break even. I was more saying if I had to liquidate a few knives I would be able to move them relatively quickly for about 60% of retail which is better than buying beer and having nothing more than a hangover. Btw I really like good beer, being a san diegan we have great beers here, it's just not a financial investment, it's more social.

Thanks again for all the good info.

Last edited:
looks like a Chris Reeves is more recommended than a Liong Mah, I kind of feel like there are no shortage of CRK though and some Liong Mah's sell out. Still haven't gotten clarification if the fit is better on a Liong Mah over a Reate... Sounds like I should create a list of what knives I want and then go down the line. good lookin out everyone.

looks like a Chris Reeves is more recommended than a Liong Mah, I kind of feel like there are no shortage of CRK though and some Liong Mah's sell out. Still haven't gotten clarification if the fit is better on a Liong Mah over a Reate... Sounds like I should create a list of what knives I want and then go down the line. good lookin out everyone.

Reate makes the Liong Mah knives, so they are essentially the same in terms of quality, F&F and materials, you just pay a premium for the Liong Mah Designs since it's his own brand. Is it worth it? You gotta decide for yourself, it's pretty simple really, you like the design and can live with the price, you get a good knife with a design you like. You're just as happy with the Reate in-house designs, go with that and spend a little less. You should consider the Reate JACK while they are still around, a lot of knife for the money and it's nice to have an integral in the collection.

thank you sir,

That is exactly the info I was looking for. It appears I will take your advice and grab a jack over a Warrior 2V2.... I really like that warrior but the blade looks hard to sharpen on a whetstone. I'll keep working on techinique. I already read the sticky on sharpening and learned a lot. Ordered some new stones as well. 650, 1k, 3k 8k. either way I think after reading all the input I am going for a Jack then a WE, and then a chris reeves sebenza 21 large or inkosi.. or both! At least I've got a list to compile.

Welcome ErocSD ErocSD .
That is a fantastic start to your collection!
There has already been a lot of great advice posted for you so far. I will throw in my choice.
I have also owned knives from gas stations, flea markets, budget knives, mid techs(whatever the heck those actually are), semi-custom and full customs. The best knife you own, is the one you like and the one that cuts. I have been through hundreds of knives in my lifetime, and i agree, right now $500 is when you really see a change in tolerances.
As a user of the sebenza, you really cant go wrong. You can start with a PJ and use the heck out of it to see if you like them. Then when you realize, dang, the sebenza is awesome, there are so so many beautiful choices in the Sebenza. ;)
Word of advice, stick to what you are comfortable spending. For a long while i had a few "expensive" beautiful knives in the safe, now i carry a highend Shamwari everyday, and i use it!!! I enjoy it more than when it sat in the safe.
Again, welcome...enjoy the ride, and keep 'em sharp!!

Im also with SW-EDC SW-EDC ,
Cant go wrong with a protech.

Thanks Miso2, good info. I don't want to waste money for no reason.

Tommy Chi those are some impressive numbers. I am a gun guy by nature. I have a great collection of guns and I kind of got in to knives due to ammo costs, and I just enjoy the beauty and mechanics of knives... they don't cost money to feed like my custom 1911's or shotguns, haha.

rje58, I agree; there are always opportunities to lose money, I was more insinuating that there is a resale market and I should have a resale value to recoup some of my investment. I wasn't expecting to make my money back or break even. I was more saying if I had to liquidate a few knives I would be able to move them relatively quickly for about 60% of retail which is better than buying beer and having nothing more than a hangover. Btw I really like good beer, being a san diegan we have great beers here, it's just not a financial investment, it's more social.

Thanks again for all the good info.

Crks retain their value probably better than literal gold. And CRK will always refurbish them for you if you need to resell or even replace blade for small fee so you can maximize resale.

Yeah its hard to recommend a CRK anymore than they already have been. Though anything by Reate or WE will likely be just as badass.

I personally own a WE Drakon(819) and its one of the nicest knives i've ever owned. Though it is my first integral.

My pocketknife sickness all got started with a Protech TR2.
For the OP.
Protech Knives also come in Non-autos, for our stupid Liberal California market. I own several autos (for when I finally leave this bullshit State), but for now, check out the TR-5 SA. Great knife I carry often.

Oh boy, do you really understand what a bunch of knife nuts you are now associating with? I hope you enjoy the adventure!

Say ErocSD, that's quite a collection for a year !
Always buy what you like.
And it looks like you're doing ok in that department.
Just take heed and never buy anything
and expecting great financial returns.
That only works with some knives (if you're lucky to pick em right);
and those great ones normally have to be mint nib.
Which means buying something
And never ever having used them.
I dunno, but that takes restraint.
So perhaps it helps having two of the same.
just so that you won't be wasting any
future opportunities to recoup ;-)
Owning knives may be a fun past time
But serious Knife collecting
is a life long commitment
which has broken many a men of
once good financial standing...
It appears that you ready to foresake all other vices.
Good for you and welcome to the bladeforums!

Ill be the lone dissenter as I personally have not liked CRK when I have handled them with the exceptions being the Ti-Lock and the Mnandi. My dislike of CRK's other models isn't anything with their quality it is all about the feel and only those 2 models have felt right to me. I can't make much of any recommendation but if you can get your hands on some of what your interested in and see how you like it before you buy it.

Welcome to the Sickness and the Fora! Abandon all hope ye who enter here.

Find someone you trust and have them hide all your cash and credit cards.

You’re welcome.

Back