New to Knives, New to Blade Forums, wanted to introduce myself

Is the fit & Finish really that much better on a $2500 handmade custom knife compared to a semi custom midtech

With very few exceptions, the fit and finish of custom knives is on par (at best) with that of top tier factory-made knives. The attraction of custom knives is generally not F&F; it's uniqueness, artistic attributes, and provenance.

With very few exceptions, the fit and finish of custom knives is on par (at best) with that of top tier factory-made knives. The attraction of custom knives is generally not F&F; it's uniqueness, artistic attributes, and provenance.

Great info, that makes sense.

Great info, that makes sense.
Also I should emphasize that many custom knives are vastly inferior in fit, finish, and mechanics. Picking up a random $1000+ custom at a show, there's half a chance (these days) that there will be centering issues, lock stick, lock rock, gaps between materials, or other such issues, not to mention poor after-sales support. The problem has been getting worse, too. About a year ago I commissioned a well-known custom maker, and posted some of the "work in progress" shots to this forum; someone commented that the F&F resembled a "pile of firewood" before I finally gave up asking for corrections to the work. That maker continues to be very successful despite. After that experience I realized there are only a handful of custom makers worth considering if you consider F&F, mechanics, and business integrity to be important; about half of those good makers are South African.

This is very true, IMO the F&F on my customs generally falls between Benchmade and ZT. So if F&F is your bag, I would definitely stick to high-end productions. There are some crazy high F&F custom guys, but do your research thoroughly!

This is very true, IMO the F&F on my customs generally falls between Benchmade and ZT. So if F&F is your bag, I would definitely stick to high-end productions. There are some crazy high F&F custom guys, but do your research thoroughly!

Thank you .that's really good info. I appreciate f&f over artistic knives I can't use. So it sounds like high-end productions is where I'm going to be. That just saved me a lot of money haha. Thanks

Thank you .that's really good info. I appreciate f&f over artistic knives I can't use. So it sounds like high-end productions is where I'm going to be. That just saved me a lot of money haha. Thanks

Not all customs are “art” I use my customs as much as my high end productions...and most are indeed ment to be used. It’s more a no CnC hand made custom folder isn’t going to reach those super high F&F levels without an insane amount of work hours, that will ultimately have to factor into very high asking prices. I am ok with the level of F&F I get for the price, in a hand made tool.

It works better for everyone if you just give in and buy everything. Thx

f25brXp.jpg

LMvLonq.jpg

DfkfHQu.jpg

TGaNlRj.jpg

n5nQYUJ.jpg

Last edited:
More seriously fit and finish probably does get basically imperceptible to most people around the $300 - $700 depending on the knife. Beyond that, it's going to be about process, design and other things. I was on a waiting list for 2-3 years for my Yuna Knives Qi 3, and it's somewhere north of $1400. For me at least, some of bigger factors were design and the fact that the maker does most of the work with hand tools (see HERE and HERE). For the G&G Hawk Deadlock, which was also around the price of the Yuna, its patented mechanism was probably the biggest deciding factor for that purchase.

It works better for everyone if you just give in and buy everything. Thx

f25brXp.jpg

LMvLonq.jpg

DfkfHQu.jpg

TGaNlRj.jpg

n5nQYUJ.jpg

Nice set up .beautiful knives .I hope to have a collection like that someday.

How is the EMP treating you? I've heard many friends who have had issues and had them sent back to SA.

I think at this point in my life I am looking at the greatest fit and finish for the money and full custom knives are out of my reach. I will hopefully someday own a handmade custom knife and a full custom Wilson or nighthawk 1911, and a hand made Cesar Guerrini O/U.

But for now I'll stick to high end productions till I get bored or become more wealthy haha.

Nice set up .beautiful knives .I hope to have a collection like that someday.

How is the EMP treating you? I've heard many friends who have had issues and had them sent back to SA.

I think at this point in my life I am looking at the greatest fit and finish for the money and full custom knives are out of my reach. I will hopefully someday own a handmade custom knife and a full custom Wilson or nighthawk 1911, and a hand made Cesar Guerrini O/U.

But for now I'll stick to high end productions till I get bored or become more wealthy haha.

I've read about issues with the EMP, but haven't had any issues yet. Based on internet searches, it seems to cluster around earlier models and that stuff has been worked out since.

Since you're looking for the best fit and finish to price ratio, it probably works out in your favor since f&f only goes so far when the price keeps getting higher.

The Sebenza is just has nicely fitted and finished as my deadlock which is almost 3x the cost. The Yuna has much more "imperfections" in the sense that the symmetry in the fine details aren't as clean as the sebenza or deadlock but as mentioned above, the guy literally cuts the knife pieces by hand, which is crazy to me

I've read about issues with the EMP, but haven't had any issues yet. Based on internet searches, it seems to cluster around earlier models and that stuff has been worked out since.

Since you're looking for the best fit and finish to price ratio, it probably works out in your favor since f&f only goes so far when the price keeps getting higher.

The Sebenza is just has nicely fitted and finished as my deadlock which is almost 3x the cost. The Yuna has much more "imperfections" in the sense that the symmetry in the fine details aren't as clean as the sebenza or deadlock but as mentioned above, the guy literally cuts the knife pieces by hand, which is crazy to me

Ya I've got an SA MC Operator that runs like a champ. I swapped out all the internals for non Mim parts and it eats everything from JHP to Low recoil rounds and everything in between. I wanted an EMP unitl I heard of all the problems. I'm looking for a Commander size 1911 (4.25") in 9mm next.

Ya everything I read keeps pushing gme towards Chris Reeves, especially the sebenza. I'm sure it's going to be a part of my collection soon. I've got my eyes on a couple first though. The new Reate/Lambert Augustus is for sure my next purchase. I love my crossroads.

Maybe a good CRK will come up in the marketplace for a great deal. I'd jump on that. Thanks again for all the input.

Hmm USA made S35VN Titanium Framlock Flipper I would hope that it is made by KAI as I can't think of anyone else reputable that makes them in the USA other than some shops that tend to charge more and do more embellishments. There is one company but it is more a USA made label than a USA made product or at the very least a very suspect USA made stamp on theirs. I will say sadly that the look of it fits to the company that marks things as USA made but people have provided some documentation the clearly brings into question if they are.

Found this quote in an article from Recoil and it is vague as to whether Magpul is making it or someone.
We asked Magpul who’s making the knife. Because if it gets boned up in production, it really doesn’t matter how hard they worked on the design.

“We’re treating this just like any and all of our engineered products,” says Marise. “So, wholly, 100% designed in-house at Magpul and made in the USA. We own every ounce of it, top to bottom.”
I read it as Magpul designed it and is having someone make it in the USA which goes back to above who is that manufacturer.

Last edited:
Hmm USA made S35VN Titanium Framlock Flipper I would hope that it is made by KAI as I can't think of anyone else reputable that makes them in the USA other than some shops that tend to charge more and do more embellishments. There is one company but it is more a USA made label than a USA made product or at the very least a very suspect USA made stamp on theirs. I will say sadly that the look of it fits to the company that marks things as USA made but people have provided some documentation the clearly brings into question if they are.

Found this quote in an article from Recoil and it is vague as to whether Magpul is making it or someone.
I read it as Magpul designed it and is having someone make it in the USA which goes back to above who is that manufacturer.

Interesting, I read that the same way. Let's see what the fuss is about when it comes out. I was super excited about Hogue knives but they fall flat for me, super expensive and far from quality to justify the expense.

So i just picked the Micarta Reate/Lambert augustus!! Man I'm stoked on this knife. not sure which I love more, the Crossroads is awesome but the Augustus is like a Grimsmo compound tanto blade... not sure how I'm going to sharpen that blade but I'll work on that. Anyways thought I would share since I haven't seen too many of these Reate/Lambert production Augustus around.

kc2Ep0Xl.jpg

cd2o3l0l.jpg

Reate/Lambert crossroads. My favorite knife. If I could keep only one knife that would it. I can't wait for the Augustus to land in March .it's supposed to be basically the same handle but a tanto blade and micarta scales .

Very cool my man! I have mixed feelings about tanto points, lol. They look really cool, but are a pain to re-sharpen

Very cool my man! I have mixed feelings about tanto points, lol. They look really cool, but are a pain to re-sharpen

I found an Augustus and got it already. See post above. It's a bad ass knife in so many ways. Micarta and tanto blade are really an amazing combination. The blade is a bit heavier than the Crossroads though. It doesn't have the same snappy light flip as the Cross roads. I'm honestly contemplating picking up another corssroads in black PVD just to have since it's such a solid knife but there are so many other knives I really want to experience first.. .. like a CRK large sebenza or Liong Mah warrior 2.

Here's my usual; Welcome to the forums. Prepare to open your mind and empty your wallet!

Custom's do not necessarily have to be exorbitantly priced to be any good.

But if I'm gonna pay big bucks, it's gonna be what I specifically want. There is one idea of an established design that I am saving for. But it will be my choice of materials, size and special engraving. That is the only way I will spend say more than $6-$700 on a knife.

FWIW, I've owned and sold many knives. But at $340 my Matt Bailey model 2 takes the cake. Incredible value and design. May have to pick up another, maybe a fixed blade this time.

Back